* Author Topic: Agate's guide to learning from your failed IVF cycle  (Read 295258 times)

0 Members

Offline CharlieClarke

• Gold Member
modify
Re: Agate's guide to learning from your failed IVF cycle
« Reply #40 on: 31/05/12, 17:44 »
Hi agate

Can I pick your brain!
Just had a successful first attempt at IVF, 2 eggs transferred, bfp, 6 wk scan showed 1 heartbeat. On pessaries, 10wk scan and no heartbeat, stopped growing it seems right after 6 wk scan. So....
A little bit of history, I have a son 11yrs, previous partner, 2 years after  I had a missed miscarriage, in the years following 2 early miscarriages. New partner now, 2009 fell pregnant naturally, cvs showed Trisomy 13 and we had a termination. Partner and I are not carriers,I was on Clomid for 7 months, no luck.I had loads of tests and nothing showed up except my age, 42, My partner had a sperm test and it showed  80% abnormal.
So the IVF was plain sailing, there were no problems and it worked first time, but I lost it. The hospital are testing what they recovered and we will get the results in 2 months.
My concerns are do we wait to get results before trying IVF again? If they detect Trisomy it could be my eggs and maybe not worth trying again with them. Do you know if I can get them tested before they attempt another cycle? Am I missing anything else, are there other tests I can have done? Is there anything I should be asking?
Could it be the sperm?

Just don't know which way to turn and any advise would be appreciated. Sorry if I have rambled on!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline agate

• only answering v short pms.
    • Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #41 on: 31/05/12, 18:22 »
    if it was another trisomy it is most likely to be the eggs (or possibly the sperm).  its a good sign that you've been able to get pg though.   but you do have a higher chance of anomalies like trisomy due to age, so its probably a case of just having to keep trying with IVF to try to get a good egg.

best of luck

a x

Offline CharlieClarke

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #42 on: 31/05/12, 20:33 »
    Thanks agate

We will just have to wait and hope that it comes back all clear. We are also going to get the sperm checked just to rule it out hopefully. It's a shame they cannot check the egg before they transfer. These ones were a great one of 10 cells and a lazy one of 3, will never know what one implanted though.
    Just wish I could have or get more tests done on my eggs, all I have been told is that I have a good reserve for my age and they responded well .

Thanks though, your knowledge is very much appreciated

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #43 on: 31/05/12, 21:58 »
    assuming you had a day 2 transfer, 10 cells would be suspect - too fast.  3 cells would be about right.

if it was a day 3 transfer, 3 cells would be way too slow - abnormal.  10 cells might be heading towards abnormal

normal progression is 2-4 cells on day 2, 6-8 cells on day 3... but obviously if it was quite late on day 3 and the fertilisation was done early on day 0, 10 cells might be normal.

Offline Surfergirl

• Gold Member
    Hi,

I have just had the results back for some blood tests that Dr Conway wanted my local hospital to do and am positive for ANA and intrinsic factor, plus something else but not sure what that is. They are posting the results to me as the Consultant wasn't in and so hasn't seen them herself yet.

Any ideas of the significance of these?

Thanks very much x

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    a positive ana indicates a general tendency towards autoimmune issues and sometimes gives an indication of what they might be.

intrinsic factor is something to do with vit B12 absorption but i am not sure what.

Offline Surfergirl

• Gold Member
    Thanks Agate.

I know Dr C had written in his letter to my Consultant that tests for antibodies directed against the ovary are not very reliable and that if I tested positive for other organ specific antibodies then I would need
    to be referred to tertiary care. IF, ANA and parietal cell were tests he wanted done.

I'm hoping this won't complicate the IVF too much. I had intralipids, prednisolone etc.. with the last cycle.

Offline CharlieClarke

• Gold Member
    Hi agate

Thanks for that information. They were collected early Fri morn and put back Mon morn, so I would presume it was a 3 day. They also collected them early as well. I had scans on the Mon and wed and they had responded quickly, my body was showing signs of ovulation, they took a blood test and decided to take them on the Friday. There were 9 of a good size, but they only retrieved 5 and only 2 fertilised. I do not know what happened to the other 4. Being a novice at ivf I maybe should have asked more questions.

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    well... in a way, that's probably a good sign.   you almost got it all to work even though it sounds like your IVF was far from ideal.  they must have seen a premature LH surge on the bloods which is not a good thing.   I'd be very hopeful for your next cycle, but your clinic need to be careful to manage your cycle to avoid a prem surge. So maybe a change in protocol to give them more control over your LH?

Online Davidaa11

Hi Agate,

I was wondering if you can please help shed some light on this for me?

I just had a failed IVF cycle three days ago and I am already planning my next cycle but want to arm myself with as much information and any thing to help my chances this time. 

I have adenomyosis (not confirmed if localised or diffuse but I think it is localised as the left side of lower abdomen hardens when I have a full bladder or when I press hard against it).  Anyway, prior to the last IVF cycle, I was down regulated for three months on Gonalpeptyl F to help with shrinking the adenomyosis and the consultants said it did help?!   Immediately after, I started stimms and had EC after 14days.   We got 11 eggs of which 6 fertilized and come ET day, put back 2 Grade 1 8 cell embryos.  Soon after transfer (the second day), I started experiencing cramps and back pain which I thought was odd as it was too early for implantation cramps?  I had cramps throughout the 2WW, no implantation bleeding and 12 days later bleed.  My gut feeling is pointing to implantation issues caused by the adenomyosis as the cause of the failed cycle; as we seem to have good number of eggs, fertilisation not bad and top grade embryos transferred.

I am thinking of asking for immune blood tests at my next try while also thinking of surgical way of removing the adenos if they are localised?  I just thought to pick your brains on this and any more helpful tips you may have.

Many thanks,
    Davidaa xx