* Author Topic: Agate's guide to learning from your failed IVF cycle  (Read 295260 times)

0 Members

Offline agate

• only answering v short pms.
  • Volunteer
I don't think surgical treatment for adenomyosis is very common - but I guess the first thing you'd need is either an MRI, 4d scan or at least an aquascan to try and see if there is any chance that the adenomyosis is sufficiently localised that you could think about surgical removal.   more often, it tends to be diffuse through the uterus and is visible on ultrasound/aquascan as a 'patchiness' (heterogeneity) in the uterine tissue.

some suggestions do occur to me though (and long down reg which you did makes sense to me too) to discuss with your clinic

- maybe tocolytics for the cramping (see faq)
- and maybe a month of pill pre-treatment if not a full long down reg, followed by the 5 day letrozole protocol (see endometriosis in faq)
- plus steroids, clexane and intralipids

hope this helps

a x

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Davidaa11

Hi Agate,

Many thanks for your prompt response. 

I will put forward your suggestions to my clinic at my next consultation.

So grateful.

Dav xx

Offline Davidaa11

Hi Agate,

Thanks for your info earlier,  I had been reading through your guide (amazing stuff, you are an angel of hope)! 

I took a great deal of supplements (some of which I picked up from FF) for six months prior to my last cycle.  I just wanted to know your thoughts if you think they help or if I am overdoing it?  The consultants and nurses at the clinic were non committal when I asked for their opinion at one of my consultations (not that I was surprised!).  They said to only take folic acid (which I had been taking one a day since TTC 5 years now) and preganare conception.  I took only these 2 during the TTW.

The supplements are: 

- Pregnacare conception ( 1x day)
    - Omega 3 Fish Oil 1200mg, 360mg EPA/DHA (3x day)
    - L-arginine 500mg (1x day)
    - Royal Jelly 100mg (2x day)
    - Iron 14mg (1x day)
    - Vitamin C 500mg (1x day)
    - Selenium 200ug (1x day)
    - Folic acid 400ug (1x day)
    - Vit B6 50mg (1x day)
    - Vit B12 500mg (1x day)
    - Zinc 25mg (1x day)
    - Calcium 600mg with 3 ug Vit D3 (1x day)

Thanks for your help.

Dav xx

Offline Lee danielle

modify
    Re: Agate's guide to learning from your failed IVF cycle
    « Reply #53 on: 29/06/12, 22:29 »
    Fab thank you made so many notes! And now thinking of going to Greece xxx

Offline CharlieClarke

• Gold Member
    Hello Agate

Hope your still around!

I doubt that you will remember me, you gave some advise a few weeks ago on this thread. I had a BFP first attempt at IVF, was twins, 6 wk scan showed 2 sacs but only heartbeat, 10 wk scan no heartbeat.
    Well, just had my first AF, 30 days after, very quick!
    Saw Dr Riddle at Nuffield Woking and he wants to see the results of the testing they carried out on the embryo before we try again. If it's another chromosome issue he will refer us to Oxford ??? if nothing shows up on the tests he will do the blood tests privately that St Mary's Miscarriage clinic will do to see if there is anything in my bloods.
    he said he was happy with my first round but wants me to produce more eggs so is going to increase me to 450 menopur ( there was 11 follicles, 6 were empty, 5 retrieved, 2 fertilised. I was grade A 10 cell and the other a 3 cell.

Any thoughts?

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    did you trigger with pregnyl or with ovitrelle?   egg recovery is often a little better with pregnyl.  if you are getting 5 eggs retrieved then you are still in the territory where you can try higher doses and see if you get more eggs.  if you get down to only 2-3 eggs, then the higher doses are pointless and unnecessarily risk as you would probably get the same result with no stimms at all - and without the expense and exposing the eggs to the high doses.

It seems a reasonable strategy for at least 1 more try.

there is a miscarriage section in my immunes faq - so you can see what sort of tests they should be thinking about doing.   clotting tests should be high up on the list.

best of luck

a x

Offline Babyjellybaby

• Gold Member
    Morning hope your well really think this feeds fab thank you

We have just completed a failed cycle and have follow upon Monday. Just looking for bit of advice on questions to ask. Was our first NHS and next one will be paid so want to make sure worth our while spending the money!

Officially dh count issues but not sure more to it now however have had lap and dye etc and looking ok.

Had long stimms as didn't react very well to menopur and had to increase dose. Stimmed for 15 days. Took 10 eggs so was please with that! 7 stable for icsi but only one fertilised.......here lies my concern if one out of seven what if we go though it again and none fertilise!
    Was part of a trial and used gonasai Hcg injection not sure if this could have caused problems?

Also after 2 day trf didn't get my hopes up too much as only two cell started with af cramps bout week in and started 4 days before test date.....

Any explanations/ ideas of what I should be asking would be gratefully received

Thanks x

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    morning:  did you go through the checklists at the start of this thread?

gonasi is a reliable med - just like pregnyl - not like ovitrelle.

Offline CharlieClarke

• Gold Member
    Morning Agate

Not sure what the trigger was. Dr Riddle wants to do Thrombophilia Screening Test.

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    clotting tests= thrombophilia screening
    definitely important to do in miscarriage cases