* Author Topic: Agate's guide to learning from your failed IVF cycle  (Read 295636 times)

0 Members

Offline CharlieClarke

• Gold Member
modify
Re: Agate's guide to learning from your failed IVF cycle
« Reply #60 on: 10/07/12, 17:33 »
Hello Agate

We had the results from Oxford and there was nothing abnormal detected.
Had my bloods done today at Nuffield, and the advised that if they come back all clear they will change me to a short protocol and up the Menopur to 450.
Do you have any opinion on this?

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline agate

• only answering v short pms.
    • Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #61 on: 10/07/12, 17:36 »
    i'm not quite sure which tests you actually had done - was it a genetic thrombophilia panel?

Offline CharlieClarke

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #62 on: 10/07/12, 19:37 »
    It was Thrombophilia yes, she said there was about 10 different tests they do.
    They took enough blood!

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #63 on: 10/07/12, 19:53 »
    there are at least 2 types of thrombophilia panel - so you need to get a copy of the results if you want to know what they actually included.... you might want to read the FAQ under Thrombophilia. obviously I guess its good that nothing came up positive

Offline CharlieClarke

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #64 on: 10/07/12, 20:19 »
    Yes, we are really pleased with the all clear, especially since the my last pregnancy had Trisomy.
    Im hoping that means that my eggs are not all bad!
    I cannot quite remember the test names, there were so many but yes, we will definately see the results.
    Lets just hope if they show a problem, they can sort it.
    I was more interested in the change of protocol, do you think short is better?
    They just want me to produce more eggs so I feel the 450 menopur may do the trick

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #65 on: 10/07/12, 21:33 »
    short protocol tends to give fewer recoverable eggs in high responders but often slightly better quality.  in poor responders it may give more recoverable eggs because it doesn't suppress your ovaries as much.

Offline CharlieClarke

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #66 on: 10/07/12, 21:45 »
    Thanks Agate.

In off to bed now, up at 3am for work!

Offline Jen81

modify
    « Reply #67 on: 11/07/12, 13:46 »
    Hi,

I've been reading your guide (which I think is brilliant) and am wondering whether you have any advice for me.  I'm 31 and have just had a failed frozen embryo transfer with 2 5 day blasts that survived the thaw very well (beta today at 9 days past transfer was only 7).  We've been TTC for over 3 years and have unexplained infertility. I had a failed fresh cycle in April, producing 21 eggs, 20 of which were mature and 15 fertilised, we had one perfect blast transferred (5AA) and 8 frozen.  My lining has been good for both cycles and I've responded well to the drugs.  There doesn't seem to have been anything 'wrong' with either of my cycles, they just haven't worked  :( I have previously had a hysteroscopy and was found to have hyperplasia but that resolved following progesterone treatment and I haven't had lining issues since.

I've made contact with Penny and think I'll look to have the life code tests done, but was wondering if anyone can recommend what other steps I should consider before proceeding with another frozen cycle?  My clinic don't do immunes testing but I think my consultant has treated people empirically with steriods/clexane after repeated failed cycles.

I'm scared of spending a lot of money on expensive tests which might not give much information about the reason for our failures, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Jen x

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #68 on: 11/07/12, 17:13 »
    its always really hard to prioritise which tests to do and which not... but

- I would do the greek menstrual blood tests
    - I'd try and get my gp to to do the level 1s (for free) - including vit D 25OH.

hyperplasia says to think about estrogen related issues - maybe think about a letrozole protocol - see endometriosis in my faq - depending what the menstrual blood tests show, you might want to think about a greek hysto too?

Offline Jen81

modify
    « Reply #69 on: 11/07/12, 20:32 »
    Agate thank you so much for replying, I read these boards a lot and I think it's amazing how much information and help you provide to everyone.

Think I'll get the menstrual blood tests done (just need to persuade DH it's useful as he's a bit sceptical about all these tests, just thinks we're destined not to have children) and will try to get GP to do level 1 tests.  I couldn't get a follow up with consultant until 20 August, so hopefully I can go armed with some information.  I've found my legs, arms and wrists to be quite achey over the last couple of days, though more like growing pains than flu-like symptoms, no idea if this related to this cycle or not

Congratulations also on your pregnancy!