* Author Topic: Agate's guide to learning from your failed IVF cycle  (Read 295257 times)

0 Members

Offline Bella36

• Un-Ranked
modify
Re: Agate's guide to learning from your failed IVF cycle
« Reply #70 on: 12/07/12, 14:26 »

We have recently had a failed fresh IVF cycle. I bled very heavily at 10 days past 2 day transfer.you would need to monitor your progesterone blood levels next time in case you need to start progesterone injections at about 6 days post EC

We had seven eggs (not sure on follicle number) one egg let two sperm in!!?? probably a fault in the egg

we had only one 4 cell, good quality embryo at day 2.

I have rheumatoid arthritis and take anti tnf meds for this (Enbrel) and I also take thyroxine following surgical removal of thyroid in 2001.

My thyroid levels are stable but I have raised thyroid antibodies. I also experienced, sore throat, increased joint pain & fever at day 6 onwards following ET.

studies suggest if you have elevated ATAs you'd need to be on steroids and blood thinners from the start of your cycle - see Thyroid in FAQ.   some docs would suggest you also add intralpids on about day 7 of your cycle too

I guess what i'm asking is, I have a number of questions to ask the consultant regarding my auto immune conditions (which I feel they have disregarded) and will request more immune tests based on what I have read from your thread.
But do you think there is anything else we should be pursuing??testing is expensive but sometimes its the only way to get proper treatment - the normal route is the level 1 and level 2 immune tests, but personally, I think its pretty obvious you have immune issues so why test? - you may as well just treat empirically (see Treating Empirically in faq)

you might want to do your level 1s particularly to check your Vit D 25OH levels.

also, my feeling is that joint problems are more common in ladies with either a chlamydia or a viral history.   I would do the greek chlamydia test on menstrual blood.

best of luck

a x

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Bella36

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #71 on: 12/07/12, 15:46 »
    Thank you so much Agate, that's really helped.
    I'll have another look at your thread.

Cx

Offline CharlieClarke

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #72 on: 26/07/12, 16:42 »
    Hello Agate

I have spoken to one of the nurses at my clinic and she advised that my Thrombophilia results showed a raised level of Protein C and a problem with the MTHFR Gene.
    She wouldn't go into to much detail as my doctor isn't in until tomorrow but not to be concerned and they may put me on a course of something. It will not affect my next IVF cycle which is due to start in approx 4 weeks.
    In your opinion how bad is this? Could it have caused the miscarriages?

As always, your thoughts are appreciated.

Offline agate

• only answering v short pms.
    • Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #73 on: 26/07/12, 17:03 »
    if its only a slight protein c resistance a mthfr hetero - probably not.

if its a severe protein C resistance and/or mthfr homo - possibly.

Offline CharlieClarke

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #74 on: 26/07/12, 17:12 »
    Thanks Agate

Hopefully will find out more when I talk to them tomorrow and find out if they are going to treat it.
    Don't think it was severe though, she said just protein C slightly raised. I will need to find out more about the gene problem and how it affects me.

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #75 on: 26/07/12, 17:15 »
    there is info in my faq under thrombophilia

Offline CharlieClarke

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #76 on: 26/07/12, 17:33 »
    Just found it
    Thanks

Offline CharlieClarke

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #77 on: 27/07/12, 12:19 »
    Hi Agate

Spoke to the clinic and they advised I am negative for Lupus but as said yesterday positive for protein c and MTHFR gene. I am going in monday to have my red cell folate tested. If negative then they will continue with low dose of folic acid and put me on a combination of aspirin with ovarian stimulation and fragmin.
    they advised still good to get started around 20th Aug.

Just hope it works now!

Offline Coops_

• TTC since 2008 September.
    modify
    « Reply #78 on: 30/07/12, 19:01 »
    HI Agate,

Could i please have a question?

A bit a background info;
    this is my second cycle and have pco;AMH was 50.1 pmol/L
    the first cycle i egg shared and i had 28 eggs collected. started with 75 and 150 menopur the next day and carried on like that until EC. Anyway in this cycle they started me on 75 menopur only for 6 days. the scan showed 5 follicles on the left and 6 on the right. they were ok size between 9-11 mm. Had blood test Estrogen was very low so clinic doubled my does to 150. had a scan today and the follicles didnt grow at all, sorry one went to 14 mm. Had a blood test today showed estogen went up to 1100 from 100. Nurse told me there is a possibility they will abadon this cycle. but they decided to carry on with a double dose until wednesday. Is there anything i can do to help them grow? I never heared that the follicles stopped growing before. First time around my estogen was sky high. do you think there is a possibility they would make it to EC at all?

Hope it makes sense,

Thanks
    Coops

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #79 on: 30/07/12, 19:28 »
    with pco the response to stim can be 'brittle' so its easy to have too low a dose and the follicles don't grow well, but just a bit higher and you massively overshoot - bearing in mind that quality tends to go down if you have more than 15 eggs recovered.   A good clinic will get the starting dose right from the beginning by taking bloods and a really good look at your ovaries on the day you start your stims, but if they get it wrong, it usually is better to abandon and start again rather than have a sub-optimal stim... usually once you start having to step up the dose, its a sign your clinic got it wrong and it'd be in your interests not to do EC this time... sometimes stepping down the dose doesn't cause too much of a problem, but needing to step up means you didn't get enough FSH to recruit the follicles they expected you to.  abandoning a cycle can feel like a failure but its much better to have another shot at a great cycle than persist with an iffy one if you have PCO.