* Author Topic: Agate's guide to learning from your failed IVF cycle  (Read 295632 times)

0 Members

Offline Coops_

• TTC since 2008 September.
modify
Re: Agate's guide to learning from your failed IVF cycle
« Reply #80 on: 30/07/12, 20:03 »
Thanks Agate,

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Flipsy

• Gold Member
    modify
    Re: Agate's guide to learning from your failed IVF cycle
    « Reply #81 on: 31/07/12, 21:49 »
    Not sure if on right thread. We have just had our 4th & worst cycle. We are using DS & have had 3 different donors over last 4 cycles. First 2 we had ICSI & last 2 have been IVF. I have had all the bloods tests & had a laparoscopy & histoscopy in may where I had 1 tube clipped.

We got 11 eggs at EC, 8 fertilised on day 1. At day 3 had 6 all at right stage, come day 5, no development from day 3. Day 6 compact morula was transferred resulting in BFN.

4 days post transfer started feeling nauseous up to OTD & 2 days prior to OTD had bad headaches.

Beginning to think its my eggs as I'm 39.

Any advice appreciated

Offline agate

• only answering v short pms.
    • Volunteer
    flipsy:  that does sound like an issue with the eggs assuming the sperm donor was proven but egg quality depends on how well the stim is done - have you worked through the lists at the beginning of this thread?

Offline Flipsy

• Gold Member
    I have. I had 3 IUI's with one donor, 2 ICSI with different donor, then changed clinic & have had 2 IVF's with proven donor. My first 2 cycles I got 18 & 19 eggs respectively. Last two 9 & 11. We always seem to do well until day 3, then it all goes wrong.

My AMH was 16.6. Slightly raised FSH. I started sniffing on day 21 & then had menopur. I was regularly scanned throughout stims. Had aspirin & Clexane post collection. I dont even get side effects from cyclogest.

Have follow up in couple of weeks. We see what they say, then to decide whether double donor or adoption.

Do you think the headaches, nausea are anything significant?

Thank you

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    they don't sound like an immune reaction - you'd normally expect something like sore throat, fever, joint pain etc - sounds more like a side effect from one of the meds?

Offline silverbird

Hi Agate,

I was wondering if I could ask your advise.

I've just had my second IVF fail with 0 fertilization and am planning on moving to donnor eggs.

Can you give me any advise on what test if any might be useful before my next cycle and what suppliment I should think about.

I've had STD's, AMH, hyroscopy and a tubal dye test.

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    if you had zero fert, but are going to use donor eggs, you want to be as sure as you can that the sperm  aren't (part of) the problem?  So if you are using donor sperm you'll want to use a proven sperm donor (a donor who has given good fertilisation and pregnancies before).

If you've not got as far as transfer, obviously we expect that there is no problem with the uterus but its always worth a double check with aquascan just to make sure there is no problem... but really I'd be hopeful that you will get pg easily with double donor and without extra tests.

although, from reading your history the things that occur to me:

we don't know the reason for your POF, and it'd be worth making sure that it isn't related to thyroid problems (or bloodflow), so maybe ask your GP to screen your TSH, FT4 and antithyroid antibodies and to do a thrombophilia screen - have a look in the faq under Level 1 tests.

if your tubes are blocked that normally means a history of infection or possibly endometriosis.  So I think I'd do the greek test for chlamydia with serum.

best wishes

a x

Offline seemedlike4eva

• Gold Member
    • 'For this child I prayed'
    I'm just wondering if it's worth getting food intolerance testing done? I've noticed on several threads that ladies are avoiding certain foods.
    I'm on thyroxine, been on pred for 8 years & rheumatology bloods always show immunosuppression, plus I pick up every bug going, have clexane for every cycle, always get a 'perfect' triple stripe, lost 2.5 stone to get BMI to 30 - still working to go lower, using double donor.... Last cycle of DFET the medics gave a strong chance of success, but I swear I must have a teflon coated uterus!!
    Not had a hysto, but doubt that GP would refer me, and wary of going abroad because I am on warfarin/clexane. May look into aqua scan here, but there's never been a problem in the past.
    Thanks!

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    some women swear that food intolerances can make graves and hashimotos worse - especially gluten.

if you are very immunosuppressed by pred, i'd query whether your TH1 cytokines are too low to get implantation... you might be able to stir the inflammation up locally by having an endometrial scratch the cycle before or a saline wash 2 days before ET.

personally, I'd do implantation cuts at serum in Athens (and maybe also add a saline wash 2 days before ET)- and I wouldn't be wary of going abroad there.  there private hospitals are spectacularly good compared to the UK NHS and they are used to dealing with patients on clexane.  you could maybe chat it over with them?

Offline seemedlike4eva

• Gold Member
    • 'For this child I prayed'
    thank you!
    I never realised I could be oversurpressed  ^idiot^ . As soon as Serum re-opens, I'll be in touch with them.
    I've been following the slimming world plan, because I love my carbs, and eating lots of pasta. I know a few years ago I had some gastric problems, and the blood test for coeliac disease was top end of 'normal'. I know the intolerance testing covers wheat.