* Author Topic: PGD Funding - Your Experiences  (Read 22836 times)

0 Members

Offline cfb107

• Gold Member
modify
Re: PGD Funding - Your Experiences
« Reply #10 on: 23/08/12, 20:02 »
PGD Condition: Balanced Translocation
When did you did decide to pursue PGD?: May 2011
Did you apply for NHS funding? Yes
Time taken: from initial referral to first appointment at fertility clinic, about a year. By the time we get to cycle, it will be about 18 months total.
Application successful, yes/no? If yes, how many rounds were you approved for? Yes, funding is complicated. We live in the East Midlands and provisionally have unlimited cycles funded. However, they review after two cycles: if we haven't produced 'good' embryos by that point, we are unlikely to get further funding.
If you funded the PGD personally, how did you do this? n/a. We wouldn't be able to afford even 1 cycle. If the funded cycles don't work, we're advised to look at donor eggs.

Further details: I have quite an unusual story in that I was diagnosed with BT at age 8. I had my initial genetic counselling appointment at 21. When I met hubby (23) we decided not to try naturally (after a lot of heartache on my part) but try PGD first.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline alliei80

modify
    « Reply #11 on: 4/03/13, 16:46 »
    Hello!  I'm new here as just embarking on my journey but have been lurking for a few weeks and thought what I found out today might be of interest to you all.

We went for our first PGD appointment today at Guys and one of the things we talked about was funding.  The nurse we saw told us that there is a new report coming out on PGD and one of the things they are recommending, in order to make PGD funding fairer, is that all eligible couples should have three funded cycles.  If this recommendation is accepted this would then be rolled out across England (not sure about Wales, etc).  So fingers crossed!

Offline mb2512cat

modify
    « Reply #12 on: 5/03/13, 13:06 »
    Thank you! We got one funded, so it would be great to have more goes in case the first one doesn't work. I will keep an eye out for the report.

Offline alliei80

modify
    « Reply #13 on: 5/03/13, 15:20 »
    I managed to find the draft policy - you can take a look here:
    http://www.engage.commissioningboard.nhs.uk/consultation/ssc-area-e/supporting_documents/e1policy.pdf

/links

Offline alliei80

modify
    « Reply #14 on: 22/04/13, 11:01 »
    Thought it would be useful to put a link to the finalised policy up.  Now everyone who meets the criteria will get three funded cycles of PGD.

This is for England only (although I understand Wales have just reviewed their policy and have a similar one in place):
    http://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/e01-p-a.pdf

Offline mb2512cat

modify
    « Reply #15 on: 22/04/13, 11:23 »
    Thanks for that. Indeed, Guy's have just written to me saying I should re-apply because of the new rules. We got one go funded but another one or two goes would be appreciated.

Offline alliei80

modify
    « Reply #16 on: 22/04/13, 13:07 »
    The policy says that even if you've paid for private cycles previously you should still get three NHS funded cycles so I'm sure you'll get an extra two.

Offline mb2512cat

modify
    « Reply #17 on: 22/04/13, 13:49 »
    Have you got funded cycles?

Offline alliei80

modify
    « Reply #18 on: 22/04/13, 13:52 »
    We're not quite at that stage yet but we meet all the current criteria as set out in the policy.  Just depends if they add more criteria, then we could be screwed!

Offline -Susan-

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #19 on: 22/04/13, 21:57 »
    Just wanted to add to this from the Scottish side of things - my consultant says funding seems to be staying the same in Scotland. That is, each LA sets the number of NHS funded cycles you can have, and I think it tends to be two funded cycles. I have heard the recommendations are being reviewed - but then, just because something is recommended doesn't mean it'll be implemented, particularly when money is tight. ^bigbad^