Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Donor ivf on the nhs

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  keyno1 
#1 ·
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help?

My local pct do not offer diui on the nhs as they say that the success rates are low. Therefore they put you straight on to ivf (3 goes). I Have had all my tests and am waiting for a date to come through for my first appointment at the fertility clinic we are being referred to.

I have one question... I feel quite particular about the characteristics of the donor so that they are as similar to DH as possible. Can anyone tell me their experience of being 'matched' on the nhs.

Also, whether you are able to import sperm at your own cost when having nhs treatment? The clinic we are being referred to normally imports sperm from America and Denmark.  I asked the clinic and they said I would have to see what the pct said and the pct have told me it is up to the clinic?!

This is the hugest thing that has ever happened to us and I find 'not knowing' about things the hardest part of it all. I am a self confessed control freak. I'm quite patient and don't mind waiting... As long as I have it clear in my mind what I am waiting for!!

Many thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi
We had IVF last year using donor sperm and had to fill in a questionnaire which allowed us to specify certain donor characteristics, from memory I think it was eye & hair colour, ethnicity, height, weight, religion and skin tone. We also to had to fill in our own characteristics. We were more specific about some things than others, for example we weren't really bothered by eye colour as that can be a bit random anyway but did try to ensure our child would be of a similar build & height to DH. We were extremely lucky as our first attempt at IVF was successful and we now have a gorgeous 3 month old son. Several people have commented on how much he looks like DH and even family/friends who know we used donor sperm have said it - so I guess we got a good match!

Our sperm was supplied by our clinic's own bank so I can't advise on your question about importing sperm, I'm sure someone who can will be along soon. I'm pretty sure several other ladies on here have imported their own sperm from clinics abroad & then used it for NHS treatment though.

I wish you luck in your IVF journey - hang in there, be patient & try to stay positive!

Rachel

#3 ·
Hi Roxy,

I hope you don't mind me posting, but my friend is 6 months pregnant by donor sperm.  Her DH is infertile.

I know she got the sperm from Denmark.  They had to buy the sperm themselves, but the ISCI cycle was funded by the NHS.

Do you want me to ask her any questions?

X

#4 ·
Thank you so much for replying. You go from feeling like u r the only person in the world that this is happening to... To reading forums like this and feeling like the whole world is struggling to conceive!!!

It is great news to hear about your friend. At least I know that some pct's allow it so I can appeal if the clinic say no.

Thanks again for replying

Xx

#5 ·
Hi Roxymurphy.
I know what you mean about feeling alone in this journey , we went to a support group which was put on by our NHS hospital and i was so surprised by how many people were there . The room was  full. We are having treatment on NHS and are looking at using donor sperm , because of my DP ethnicity (Indian) we are having to import sperm  either from Denmark or America so the option is there . Good luck in your journey X

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.