* Author Topic: Feedback - Pregnant with a low amh?  (Read 65910 times)

0 Members

Offline Chickabooo

modify
Feedback - Pregnant with a low amh?
« Reply #80 on: 22/03/14, 08:49 »
Hi ladies,

I have written a much longer post in the over 40's section if anyone wants to read.
Essentially I have struggled for three years to have a second child.  The cause being poor ovarian reserve (AMH 1.6). This all changed when I started taking DHEA.  As soon as I started taking it all my fertility markers improved.  My AFC went from 6 the year before to 13.  My FSH went from over 10 to less than 5.  I started ovulating again were previously I had stopped due to reaching the end of my fertile years.  Four months after starting it I achieved my BFP.  We are expecting a healthily baby girl in September. 
I do recommend getting your levels checked if your take it.  After 1 month mine came back as too high and I had to reduce the dose.  Too high DHEA levels have a negative affect on fertility.  I also took L'arginine, Inositol, Omega 3, Co-enzyme Q10 and multi vitamins.  Cut out sugar, alcohol and caffeine and ate 8 to 10 portions of fruit and veg a day and exercised 5 times per week.

I hope this may help some ladies to go on and get their BFPs.

C xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline TryMeditate

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #81 on: 4/04/14, 11:10 »
    Hi Chickaboo,

I think I did much the same as you, and also had improvements then my miracle BFP. 

I recently came across this clinic.

Article on Women with low amh can get pregnant. 

http://www.inviafertility.com/blog/infertility/draniruddhamalpani/overtreating-patients-with-low-amh-level

He also has another one about women with autoimmune POF (under the diminished ovarian reserve blogs) who reversed the autoimmune conditions and then started ovulating. I've long wondered if my giving up pretty much everything bad for me :-), taking dhea, co-enzyme Q10, and everything else… plus low dose steroids, somehow removed the inflammation \ precursor to my autoimmune condition, which then allowed me to ovulate. 

Worth a read.

/links

Offline nippo

• Gold Member
    • Proud Mummy to twin girls
    modify
    « Reply #82 on: 20/04/14, 22:51 »
    Age - 38 (37 when pregnant)

Level of amh - 3.58

Number of afc - 5 follies

Number of eggs at ec - 4

Number of treatments - 3 fresh cycles and an FET between cycle 1 and 2

Dose of drug and long or short protocol - merional (450) and cetrotide (not sure of dose now sorry) and I was never clear on the kind of protocol as it was a bit complicated.

Anything else you think is helpful: I was told that I would never have children by the doctors on the NHS.  My FSH was over 26 which was unbelievably high. I was kicked off the NHS as they said my only hope was donor eggs.  Luckily I met a great doctor who reminded me that these are just blood tests and only an indicator of fertility.  The best way to find out if you can get pregnant is to try! This is my advice - try and try - until you are ready to give up. Despite what everybody said, here I am with twin girls.  For somebody who could never have children (in fact the word was impossible) I've done pretty well. Don't give up and don't give in (mentally I mean), it's tough on your emotions but try to find something positive in the dark days.  They don't last forever. Good luck x

Offline Gaia_78

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #83 on: 23/04/14, 10:30 »
    Hello ladies,

I wanted to post some good news as I remember reading posts like these when I had lost all hope and they helped keep my spirits up!

I'm delighted to say that I'm currently 11 weeks pregnant naturally, after only 2 months of TTC and after being told my chances were less than slim!!!  :)

I'm 36 years old and I was told in November last year that I had very low-undetectable AMH (2.6 pmol/l) levels and elevated FSH (18) levels.  I was told that I'd struggle to conceive and I'd probably need IVF and even then I was only given 10% chance of success! I was also asked to consider donor eggs. Well, devastated wasn't the word! I could not believe it at all and struggled with depression for a while. I didn't have any savings and so a clinic/ treatment was out of the question, also to complicate matters further I was single! This all amounted in my head to a future without children.

However, after I'd got over the initial shock,  I refused to accept this diagnosis and somehow I knew deep down that my body could achieve pregnancy naturally. I'd never tried to conceive before and wanted to at least give my body a chance before being written off by the doctors.

I started taking prenatal vitamins, fertility smoothies, maca, wheatgrass, 75 mg DHEA a day, weekly acupuncture, Chinese herbs, and did fertility meditations.  I also had a massive problem to overcome in that I was currently single!!! So after lots of soul-searching and tears I eventually took the difficult decision to find a private sperm donor to help me (Mr Right would have to come later!).

I'm delighted to say that it only took two attempts!!! I got pregnant on the second cycle of trying with no medical interventions. I'm amazed it worked so quickly as I thought that at the very best it might take many months-years, if it worked at all! I told my fertility consultant the news and his response was 'well it can happen'!!

So I just wanted to let you know that it is possible and that the doctors don't know everything. I don't believe these numbers are that meaningful and all along I used to say - it only takes one good egg! Try not to focus & obsess on those test numbers (I know it's hard) and take care of your body and believe you can do it!!

Good luck to all of you and never give up hope as you're body can do amazing things that doctors cannot always predict!

I saw a strong heartbeat at 8 weeks and baby's development is a week in advance of what it should be so I think I have a strong baby in there! X

modify
    « Reply #84 on: 29/04/14, 18:39 »
    Hi there ladies,
    This has been so helpful to myself.
    Amh is less than 4 other hormones are ok I think. I am classed as ovulating.
    Was told at appointment at jcuh, that ivf is not allowed with a amh of less than 4. Yet three yrs previously he told me it was just a question of lising weight, but unfortunately slipped 2 discs and put more weight on.
    We were told to gonaway and find an ed or adoption, this was totally out of the blue for me and my partner as we thought once I lost weight we would be listed.
    Have contacted the centre of life to see if they will treat with amh below 4.
    Fingers crossed. But thus thread is a great idea.
    Its a brilliant site and you can find answears to all the weired and wonderful questions the IF  joinrney throws at you.
    But most importantly you are never judged for saying what you need to and asking some bizzare questions.
    Hugs and baby dust to them in need
    Lisa

Offline nippo

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #85 on: 29/04/14, 19:05 »
    Hi Lisa, there are quite a few clinics who treat women with low amh.

Lister, CRM, to name a couple. I'm sure ladies on here can name some more. I was told the same thing very suddenly and I personally think it is irresponsible of doctors to say this sort of thing without even trying. As you can see many of us have been successful - even naturally so don't give up hope.

Xx

modify
    « Reply #86 on: 29/04/14, 19:42 »
    Hi nippo,
    I too feel its not right or fair, he badically said the amh has only been proved wrong twice in his carear. Like I said though it was the same when he agreed ivf was an option 3yrs previously. I think its more about budget. He said with an amh of less than 4 the chances were 0 to 5%. Yet looking at ivf statistics it seems with normsl hormone levels the probability is 14 to 25%. So all in all not much different I feel.
    Hopefully I should hear from the centre of life at newcastle soon. Unless like you say other ladies with low amh have already been trated there.
    X x x x

Offline nippo

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #87 on: 29/04/14, 19:54 »
    I too was told I would be treated at my NHS hospital, the second most successful in the country, but I was asked to try naturally for a year after an operation to remove Endometriosis so I did. I was still young. They then tried a round of iui and my levels were fine. But after clomid my FSH suddenly shot up to 25 then 26.2 and that was it. No more treatment. And I was told to go away and get donor eggs. All because of a  blood test.

Now I know why they are so successful, because they only treat women who they can virtually guarantee success with and not the women that IVF was actually designed for. It makes me so angry.

But on a positive note, low AMH isn't an instant fail. It is just an indicator. You can have treatment, and yes there is less chance of getting pregnant. But there is a chance of getting pregnant - grab it with both hands.

Xx

modify
    « Reply #88 on: 29/04/14, 20:02 »
    My thought exactly,
    Ivf is meant to be a chance to succed where there is a problem.
    I keep thinking all the time I have my ovaries and am having a period, there is always hope. I will get my longed for baby. I have stopped smoking, drinking lost weight, take vitimins till I rattle, tried the clomid which nearly made me blind, tried thier tamoxifen too. I feel I have kept my side to be totally devastated by them I held so highly.
     X x x
    I will keep going till my journey reaches its destination, our beloved child x

Offline Weebear

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #89 on: 29/04/14, 20:12 »
    Hi ladies, one of your posts caught my eye.

Hope you don't mind me posting. I had two lap and dyes for endo, both times minute amounts found. I also did fertility drugs for 18 months unsuccessfully.

My free NHs ivf came around and they told me my AMH was under 4 so I would definitely get my first go but if I was a poor responder they probably wouldn't go ahead with the second.

At my ivf I responded very very well. Each tim I had a scan, to check the follies and then to collect the eggs, they commented how my AMH didn't fit the response. I ended up collecting 12 eggs. They were dumbfounded. As it turned out only 1 fertilised and the response was, well maybe there's an underplaying issue with the sperm! However, I know it's said all the time, but it took that little one embies and it'll not be long now til he's here.

I would if you can, go ahead with one ivf to see how you respond. The results don't always match! Xxx