* Author Topic: Recommendations on other Greek clinics (not SERUM)  (Read 77131 times)

0 Members

Offline MistyB

• Gold Member
  • Miracles can happen
modify
Recommendations on other Greek clinics (not SERUM)
« Reply #100 on: 10/04/14, 07:40 »
Hi, I had a frozen ET there was no additional charge for this, just the cost if the medication and flights etc. Lots if the women in the Iakentro thread who are using DE will have a fresh cycle frozen and then go for ET at a time convenient for them.

I didn't go to the New Life clinic in the end so can't comment on that, but from the literature Ruth provided it looked very nice and modern.

Iakentro in Thessaloniki looks more modern than their Athens clinic, but having been to both I can tell you that the standard of care is excellent in both.

Good luck

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Maxandruby1

modify
    « Reply #101 on: 10/04/14, 15:01 »
    Thanks Misty thats sounds great  ;D Do you have to get the drugs in Greece or can I get them at home in Ireland sorry for all the questions. I'm just really new to all this (and a teeny tiny bit like a deer in headlights!!) :o

Offline MistyB

• Gold Member
    • Miracles can happen
    modify
    « Reply #102 on: 11/04/14, 07:52 »
    Hi, Ruth always sent me a prescription which I had filled in the UK. I'm sure there will be chemists in Ireland that can fill private prescriptions too, but might be worth discussing it with her.

Good luck x

Offline SarahJones

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #103 on: 11/05/14, 20:16 »
    Hi I am ,Sarah , 40, I am a financial advisor  who lives in Surrey, , with my partner nick 36, my 8 -year-old daughter, Alice, and two-month old Andy.

Nick and I had been trying for a baby for the last five years. I fell pregnant easily with Alice so I took it for granted that I’d do so again. But it didn’t work out that way and my age meant that time wasn’t on my side. My GP was sympathetic and urged us to do IVF as soon as we could.

The fact that I already had a child meant there was no NHS funding for us, so Nick and I went for our first cycle of IVF at a private hospital in June 2010.

It didn’t result in a pregnancy and I was so disappointed. But there was worse news to come. Doctors initially told us we had a 15% chance of conceiving, but after the first cycle, they lowered the odds to 5%.

They said that because I was 40, my egg supplies were depleted and of poor quality. Their words were crushing. It felt like a door was closing and Nick and I endured a grieving process.

Financially, things weren’t looking good, either. We'd paid the £7,000 fee using a loan  and had to remortgage the house to pay them off. But we wouldn’t have spent that money if we’d known the chances were so low. We considered adoption but it’s hard when you’re over 40.

Egg donation seemed our only option, but in this country the procedure is still quite controversial. Here, any subsequent children have the right to look up their egg donor at the age of 18, so few people volunteer their eggs, which is why there is a two-year waiting list. But, since the cut-off age for treatment is 45, I couldn’t afford to wait two years.

So I began researching IVF treatment overseas. Greece was the first choice because IVF clinics there have a proven track record and their egg donation procedures have over 50% success rate. Treatment in Greece would cost £ 2000 instead of the £10,000 we’d been quoted here. Even with air fares and hotels for two trips we'd still save £  7,000

We had our first consultation in the fertility clinic in greece in May last year. They like to match patients’ hair colour, eye colour and height as much as possible to the donor and because I have red hair and Nick is blonde, it took few weeks to find a match. We flew back to Greece in June to have our embryo implanted.

Just 10 days later, Nick and I were amazed to discover that I was pregnant.

People assume that health care abroad can’t match the standards in Britain but I’d say the opposite. The care and aftercare I received in Greece surpassed that of the clinic here and was a fraction of the cost.

Nick and I are so grateful the option of going abroad was there.

Andy was born on March 14 and we are besotted with him.

Offline Maxandruby1

modify
    « Reply #104 on: 11/05/14, 22:15 »
    Hi Sarah glad to hear you had a good experience resulting in the dream  :) Which clinic did you go to?

Offline marieantoinette1

modify
    « Reply #105 on: 3/06/14, 18:09 »
    I have to further recommend going abroad, as like SarahJones, I found the experience a whole other ballgame. 

I am currently writing this from Greece, having flown out here to have two frozen embryos put in.  My first child was born from a previous cycle and is now 2 years old and we were ready to see if we could add to our family with the few embryos we had frozen.  Obviously I will not know the outcome of this cycle for a few weeks, but even if negative, I cannot knock the service, the clinic, the general support and the ease of my treatment with each cycle.

It really is the most daunting experience, leaving the comfort of UK hospitals, endless hospital scans and appointments, continual disappointment and the emotional upheaval. Making the decision to go abroad has given our family a head start and shown us that what you pay for in the UK is unquestionably basic and ill-supported. The team at Newlife Thessaloniki (where I have had ET today) could not have been more welcoming. They look after you the whole time that you are in the UK for your scans and drugs and the contact is continual - you actually get more support that you do when going through it in the UK - and we did that three times unsuccessfully. It will not work for everyone, but at least you can say that you were looked after in every way imaginable in the process.

Offline MistyB

• Gold Member
    • Miracles can happen
    modify
    « Reply #106 on: 4/06/14, 07:36 »
    Marieantoinette good luck with you FET, I hope it results in a sibling for you 2yr old.

We looked at Newlife and Iakentro in Thessaloniki, and the decision came down to who could find us a closer match. Both clinics looked excellent. So glad to hear you had a good experience. 

Offline SarahJones

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #107 on: 7/06/14, 21:58 »
    Hi Sarah glad to hear you had a good experience resulting in the dream  :) Which clinic did you go to?
    Hi we have visited Mediterranean fertility institute at Chania,crete.( www.ivfgreece.co.uk)
    Dr Giakoumakis and his team were very helpful.
    Travelling to crete was very easy as we had use Ryanair and it was a direct flight to the island. Also the cost for our treatment was very competitive against other clinics that we had discuss the same treatment. 

It is noticeable to say that we are still in contact with many of the people that we met at Crete.

Overall a very good and successful experience .

Thank you

Offline Tiny21

• Gold Member
    • 7th time lucky, very grateful for our little man
    modify
    « Reply #108 on: 13/06/14, 21:35 »
    Hi there, I a looking for a thread on New Life but couldn't find one, we, today have spoken to Ruth at IVF Treatment abroad  and are getting donor details from New life and Iankentro. If anyone has experience of either would love to hear, also if you have flown to New Life where do you to and from ?  Good luck to all. Going abroad feels very daunting!! Xx

Offline MistyB

• Gold Member
    • Miracles can happen
    modify
    « Reply #109 on: 14/06/14, 07:40 »
    Hi Tiny21

If you read back through the thread there are a couple of people who have been to New Life, but I don't think they have there own thread. There is a thread for Iakentro though https://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=312428.0

I had information on both clinics, but went with Iakentro in Thessaloniki in the end. Mist of the ladies on the Iakentro thread are going to the Athens clinic, but since Dr.s Prapas cover them both, there is not much difference in the service or care you get

We flew EasyJet from Gatwick to Thessaloniki. I also flew to Athens from Gatwick when I had my FET and Ruth met me at the airport. She offers more than a great service, she becomes a good friend to all her ladies.

Good luck
    X