* Author Topic: Low AMH and told not to bother, what should I do?  (Read 3363 times)

0 Members

Offline 1981LM

modify
Re: Low AMH and told not to bother, what should I do?
« Reply #10 on: 15/03/13, 18:19 »
Hi,
 I just wanted to give you some hope. My amh was 2.5 2 years ago when I conceived my daughter through ivf. Our first attempt was unsuccessful, 1 egg but bfn. I was then advised to take dhea for 6 months then go back. I did just that and my egg count went up to 4. I had two embryos replaced, one of which is bouncing in her jumparoo as I type! I also did acupuncture second time round and ate lots of protein to help egg quality.
 I know I'm a bit younger, I was 30 when it worked and I know the measures I took may not have been the reasons why it worked but i know how desperate you feel so wanted to share.
 We are considering trying iui next for another baby, as its easier to swallow if it fails than ivf is.
Good luck - know one in the world knows what's around the corner!! X

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Shell15

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #11 on: 18/03/13, 14:44 »
    Hi, I had my first AMH done in February 2012 which was 5.8.  My first cycle resulted in a BFN with 3 Mature eggs but only one fertilisation.  I took DHEA for 3 months on and off and had another BFN in August with 5 eggs and 3 fertilised.  I've just had my AMH retested and its gone up to 11.2  ;D but I didn't think it could go up and I didn't think it would go up with the dhea as that is just for quantity. I'm pleased with this as my FSH is also below 12.  Hopefully it will be third time lucky. 

Michelle x

Offline Rdawson

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #12 on: 18/03/13, 22:14 »
    Hi

I was given an amh 2.1 and fsh of 14.1 in December, afc 7.  I used a great acupuncturist and lots of supplements (though I didn't use dhea) within two months my fsh lowered to 8.4 which I was thrilled about as if it had gone up to 15 I wouldn't have been able to have IVF at my clinic.  I started Ivf last month and had only 3 follicles at the start of treatment which devastated me - I was given highest qty if gonal f (450) and advised by clinic director if I only got 1 egg at collection it would be my best shot and to go for it.  Fortunately I responded well to treatment (clinic was surprised) and eventually had 11 eggs collected, 7 fertilised, had 1 embryo transferred on day 3 and am elated to have been given a positive result a few days ago.  It's all early days but I thought we had no chance using my eggs and were looking at donor eggs. 

If you want any other info please let me know..

Good luck

Offline Kelbel76

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #13 on: 20/04/13, 10:20 »
    Hi all

Just starting my first and only NHS IVF cycle this is my story so far...

I had my first scan a week ago they only found ONE follicle as a result they tested my AMH this came back low at 0.57  :'( (I'm 36yrs)  we now have an appointment with our consultant to discuss our options.... I know that the PCT team will probably cancel our funding we are totally gutted. They have said that they would re-test my AMH next cycle so hoping it has gone up (I believe in miracles)

Is there anyone out there with a success story I really need some hope... we will go ahead with my own eggs given the chance looking at funding it ourselves too as I know one go at this will probably not be enough. 

thank you all for reading xxxx

Offline Shell15

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #14 on: 20/04/13, 15:11 »
    Hi Kelbel

Sorry to hear that you not had one follicle and a low AMH.  I am currently on my third cycle and had an AMH of 5.8 last time I cycled in August but had my AMH retested this time and it was 11 not sure why it has gone up as I didn't think it could.  I was advised to take DHEA because of my low AMH as it is supposed to help people with a low AMH.  I took it during second cycle but not everyday as I didn't like the side effects but this time I have taken it 3 times a day and I'm on 75mg for the last 3 months so it will be interesting to see whats happens this time.  I have very greasy and spotty skin and hair has been falling out but I am not stressing about this as I was in my last cycle.    I was told to use donor eggs but feel if I'm still producing my own eggs then I will continue to try.  What stimmulating drugs have you been on?  I will be taking 8 amps of Fostimon which is the most you can take but only given to self funding patients due to cost but I was told it is no more than 6 amps for nhs patients.

Hope this helps a little.  Good luck and hope the pct will continue to fund you  ^hugme^

Michelle x

Offline nippo

• Gold Member
    • Proud Mummy to twin girls
    modify
    « Reply #15 on: 22/04/13, 08:45 »
    I didn't want to read and run and offer some encouragement and hope.

My husband and I had been trying for a baby for a few years and by chance during a routine scan a cyst was seen on my ovary. I was referred to an endo centre of excellence and I was asked to try naturally for 6 month before a lap was performed. I was diagnosed with mild to moderate endo, both ovaries stuck to my womb and they were separated. We were asked to try naturally for a year but we still didn't conceive.

I was then given iui, on my first cycle my fsh was around 6 and I responded too well with 5 eggs being produced so the cycle was cancelled.

The following month I was told that my fsh had jumped to 25 and then 26. All treatment was cancelled and I was told that nothing would work for me but donor ivf. I was told that with my egg quantity and quality it would be a miracle if I ever had my own children and that no hospital or clinic would treat me with an fsh that high.

I then found an amazing doctor who had complete faith in me, and said that these tests are blood tests, indicators of common problems but humans were not built to be predictable and that the best test and diagnostic tool was to actually try ivf.

He also undertook an AMH test and this gave me a low reading of 3.5ish, he said based on bloods alone, I had less than a 10% chance of getting pregnant.

So we tried ivf, and I produced 8 eggs!! 5 went to blasts and one was put back. We got pregnant 1st time. Already the doctors were wrong! But I miscarried so I lost hope.

My doctor was very supportive and encouraged me to try again. We got funding on the NHS and decided to try our free go - by this time my follicle count dropped to 3or 4. And this cycle failed (partly due to the hospital refusing to used the same drugs as my private doc).

I then decided I couldn't waste time, so I went back to my private doctor, I had decided this would be my last try as I couldn't deal with the emotional impact. And my husband was watching me suffer. We weren't really living life.

We tried again. This time I produced 1 viable follicle but the day before collection 3 more sprouted. We had been told that maybe a cancelled cycle might be best, but I persevered. We only had 3 eggs that fertilised but my doc took a big chance and 2 became blasts - 1 good, 1 not so good.

Anyway, with an fsh of 26 and AMH of 3.5 I am pregnant with twins. We are now 23 weeks, and every day is a struggle to be positive and hope for the best but there is ALWAYS hope. No doctor has all the answers and humans are more complicated than a blood test. My doc taught me that.

Keep trying until you are ready to move on, but don't let a blood test predict your family future because it can be wrong. Like me.

Baby dust to you all xxxxxxxxxxx

Offline susie76

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #16 on: 22/04/13, 09:17 »
    congrats Nippo, that's a great result!

Just to add i would agree with the others who have said to find a new consultant, of course you don't really know until you try, but if you can produce eggs and embyoes then it is worth having a shot.  I have low amh (2.2) and both Lister and ARGC had no problems in going ahead with that level.  It may not be the easiest, and it's hard when everyone around seems to be getting 20 eggs and loads of blastocysts to choose from, but hopefully quality over quantity will work.  Good luck!