Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Manchester Fertility

32K views 110 replies 35 participants last post by  Miss Dee 
#1 ·
Hi ladies I have just found this board - Brilliant

I am starting clomid and follicle tracking this month after trying for 4 years for our second child.

The consultant has suggested 3 months and then moving onto IVF. Has anyone had treatment at MF? I don't know to even pick between the clinics. I have ended up at Manchester fertility for the clomid and follicle tracking due to a recommendation.

Thanks x

#77 ·
Hi ladies
I'm currently under Sheffield for fertility treatment but I'm having an absolute nightmare with appointments etc they are extremely understaffed. I have been doing some research on MF and would like to know how you are finding it? I'm thinking of getting my go to refer me to them, But want to be sure it's the right decision.

Thanks  :)

#78 ·
Hello, my husband and I are booked for a Fertility MOT at Manchester Fertility tomorrow.  I will be having an antral follicle scan and AMH blood test, and my husband is having a SA.

We have an appointment next Tuesday to go through the results but does anyone know if they will give them to me over the phone or via email before then? And does the sonographer give you any feedback at the time of the scan, or do they keep schtum (I know some are told to!).  Obviously we will still come to talk them through with the consultant but I don't know if I can wait so many days for the results, so it'd be great to be able to get them ASAP.

#79 ·
Hello ladies. Hoping for some advice after the antral follicle scan we had today.  It was day 6 of my cycle.

I'm feeling worried because the sonographer only counted 7 Antral follicles- 3 "dominant follicles", though, all over 10mm. AMH blood taken today too.

She said the scan was fine. But, I'm a bit worried by it as I was expecting to have many more than 7 antral follicles. To be honest I wasn't sure she spent that long looking and counting - before the scan was done, she said it was to look at the structure of the uterus etc, and I asked if she would do a follicle count and she said yes antral follicles, but didn't make it sound like the main point of the scan. She did look at the ovaries but was mostly measuring the sizes of the dominant follicles etc and marking them.

She basically said it was good that there were three follicles growing well. Would this make it harder to see smaller ones? She did say there might be smaller ones she couldn't see (which I sort of thought was the whole point of the scan?!). I also thought this scan needed to be done earlier than day 6 for that very reason, but they'd said it doesn't matter.

I've got low FSH at 2.1 and normal d21 progesterone of 41 so I was really surprised by this. I'm 31, nearly 32.

They were really lovely though, especially when it took so many attempts to get blood out of me, they were all so sorry and nice.  No results in advance of the consultant appointment though, so goodness knows how I will survive until next week.

#80 ·
Hello

My AFC was only ever 4 in my late 20's, when you start stimulation during ivf more follicles often Pop up that aren't there at first, it's also common practice not to measure the smaller ones during an ivf cycle unless they are bigger than 10mm

Good luck for the rest of your results! Xx

#81 ·
Thanks! That is reassuring that yours responded to treatment, but I'm so sorry about your losses after you moved to donor eggs. That is so sad.

I just thought it was weird as my FSH is so low which would go against POF.

Maybe they weren't measuring them all, but then it's not really an antral follicle count I don't think, as the antral follicles are meant to be the tiny ones! The sonographer did say they often pop up after medication, but I'm not on any medication at present. We are just having baseline tests so not too sure what will come up, but I don't know how I'm going to survive until next Tuesday!

#82 ·
Thankyou  :)

I did get 4 eggs all mature all fert from my only egg cycle so don't worry about your AFC, they accept egg donors who they are expecting to get a 'minimum of 8 eggs' from so you will have egg donors with an AFC not much higher

It's funny as some clinics think AMH is they key test, some FSH and some AFC, I think your AMH and FSH are more important from my experience and they use those to plan your protocol and medication

This levels don't indicate POF to me so don't worry

L xx

#83 ·
Thanks so much! That's really reassured me. The sonographer did say that there were 3 really good follicles and that was a lot for an unmedicated cycle so I figured it was good, and then I asked how many antral follicles and she said only 4 on top of the 3 maturing ones, which really shocked me. It'll be useful to find out the AMH and see how well correlated the two are.

#84 ·
As long as your FSH is low they can Stim you quite aggressively if they need to, it's when your FSH is high they can't as FSH is follicle stimulating hormone the same as your stims, high levels already and you won't respond

You're lucky at MFS it's the only clinic that has such short waits, it's 8 weeks approx at Care and 12 weeks at St Mary's got results appts, I do know that a day in ttc world is a month long in real time though  ;D xx

#85 ·
I know, we are so lucky and they were so nice as well.  I'm glad we chose to go there for our assessment. 12 weeks would give me a nervous breakdown.

I was hoping to be able to consider egg share - I know how painful it is trying to get pregnant and not managing, I would love to be able to do that for someone else. So maybe they will still be able to consider that for me still. We'll see.

#86 ·
Hello

Anyone know the best way to get to Manchester Fertility from the city centre? I don't drive so public transport

Thanks

Lilly xx

#87 ·
Hi Lilly,
I'm not sure of numbers but the bus that goes up the A34 from Manchester centre would do you (157 or x57 do I think) and there's a stop just before the slip road for Heald Green/Manchester Airport/Cheadle.
You'd have to walk from here, probably about 15 minutes I'd think.

So if you walk up the slip road, go anti clockwise round the roundabout and exit onto Cheadle royal business park (Royal Cresent) walk down to the mini roundabout and right onto Brooks Drive, to the next mini roundabout and straight across, carry on bear left with the road and it's on your right hand side.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Best of luck, they're all lovely, especially Rita on reception. X

#88 ·
Jam you are an angel thank you! I was trying to figure it out online but don't trust myself following a map, I have a job interview there for a patient advisor  :)

Can't believe how close your EDD is hasn't it gone quick! Xx

#89 ·
Oh wow, best of luck.

They really are the nicest bunch of people, that I did prefer here to Care.

It has gone quick, slow at the same time too though.

All the luck in the world with the interview, surely discounted treatment should come with it?  ;) xx

#90 ·
Can anyone shed some light if MF do immune tests. We may need ICSI and I'm researching around now. I'm looking at places like ARGC and they do, so I'm just comparing. anyone know ?

#91 ·
hi,
its likely we will need ICSI - will find out in 2.5 weeks time. pls can someone give me an easy breakdown of what the procedure will be - starting from the v top- what will happen and time scales including blood tests, down reg etc

#92 ·
Which clinic are you at they all differ in how they do things slightly.

#93 ·
manchester fertility

#94 ·
Hi all,

Just and enquiry how long icsi take on the nhs ?

#95 ·
I'm moving your post to the clinic you are referred to. you'll get the right answers for your clinic by asking these kinds of questions there. Every clinic has different wait times for various tests then some have a wait to start treatment the answers you could get here will be varied and could lead to confusion.

A long protocol cycle usually takes around 2 months from start to finish. If your clinic do short protocol it'll be done in about a month.

#96 ·
Hi Leenaj

Where are you in regards to your treatment? Have you had an initial appt at Manchester Fertility yet? Have you had tests through your GP or local hospital? It usually takes the same amount of time regardless of NHS or private, it just depends on the wait with your clinic and if you need any further investigations or tests and also the timing of your cycle

I would say 3 months from your initial appt might be about right providing there's no delays however I haven't cycled at MFS myself

Lilly x

#97 ·
Hi Lilly,

Well we are no where with treatment. We are private with Manchester fertiilt, had all tests and ops done with them. So far they have sent us away for 3 months to see if DH sperm improves. If it does then they have suggested Clomid as I only have one tube working hence to encourage ovulation more readily from one side working, otherwise it looks like ICSI.

#98 ·
We are just about to start our 3rd cycle at MF.
Had one cycle at a different clinic in Manchester. BFN.
Changed to MF due to multi cycle payment scheme and I have found them fabulous and friendly. Had a BFN in early September at MF.
From the initial meeting, I managed to get first appointment in a couple of weeks....it all depends which consultant you want to see.
Then things moved very quickly, it was us who delayed it due to holiday! From initial appointment we could have started next month.
I did long protocol this summer which was about 2 weeks of down reg. 12 days of stims. 2 days later ICSI EC. 5 day blast and morula. Then the dreaded 2WW.
This time I'm doing short protocol, so expected 12 day stim....then fingers crossed!
X x x

#99 ·
Hi trinibelleni,

I am seeing Dr polson, he treated me privately at Oaklands hospital for tube clipping so I wanted to have continuity. But I think he is super busy. I wanted to start ideally my cycle now, which would make it a week of 16th of Novemeber. But he was away for 2 weeks so we couldn't get in any faster since mid October, so I feel I am month behind. I was trying to get into see someone else but in the end decided to go with Dr polson, especially since he reccomended Ivf and not Icsi for us, which I was pleased about. The clinic are fab, but I think since out meeting on 14 th October, I'm waiting until mid December to start cycling...isn't that too long? I was under the impression that we would be starting asAp 21 days after my next period.

#100 ·
Hi Leenaj,
I did exactly the same and waited for Dr Polson for our follow up appointment as he took over our case after our initial consultant went on maternity leave. I really liked him and the continuity.
However, after our first plan was put together, I'm sure we didn't see the consultant again, just phoned for the prescription for drugs and then phoned when I started my AF. I would maybe give them a call, there is a fabulous nurse called Sam who I found really useful and kind and honest!  X x x

#101 ·
hi  Trinibelini,

so all in all how long did you wait. we basically had a 3rd semen in mid october. we had blood test viriology ones then as well. we go back on 16th november to sign consents and finalize the dates ..which seem to be 21 days after my end of november period - that's a bummer as well, the whole 21 days after the peirod...argghhhh im so impatient

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.