* Author Topic: Abandoned Long Protocol, about to start Short Flare...  (Read 934 times)

0 Members

Offline MaisieB

• Un-Ranked
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and looking for any reassurance and advice on the short flare protocol. I am 28, have stage 4 Endo, one ovary with cysts on, an AMH of 8 and have just had to abandon my first attempt at a long cycle due to poor response (only 1 follicle).

Has anyone else previously failed on the long protocol and then gone on to have success with the flare protocol?

I am getting to the stage of realisation that this just might not happen for me  :( , but I don't want to lose hope just yet!!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline HopeOneDay

modify
    Abandoned Long Protocol, about to start Short Flare...
    « Reply #1 on: 14/03/14, 13:04 »
    Hi MaisieB - I don't know much about the short protocol, but I just wanted to say that with a AMH of 8 and your young age you have a really good chance of success  :) It may be that your drugs protocal needs to be revised. What drugs & volume were you put on on the long protocol? All the best. x

Offline foxglove

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 14/03/14, 18:20 »
    I failed to grow decent enough sized eggs on the long protocol and then abandoned, switched to short protocol and it worked. Hang in there x

Offline MaisieB

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 17/03/14, 11:32 »
    Thank you both for your replies-it's nice to know I'm not alone in this  :)

I was on Buserelin for DR and then 375 Gonal F for stimms (which I think is the highest dose). To be honest, my clinic was a bit baffled that I had such a poor response, having an AMH of 8, so they think I was over suppressed.  I am just hoping that this flare approach works other wise they are talking about donor eggs... I think the flare is done to try keep the endo in check at the same time as stimming but I don't really understand how it works and it doesn't seem to be a popular protocol.

Never thought I'd be in this position at such a young age  :'(

Offline foxglove

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #4 on: 17/03/14, 17:55 »
    Maisie - I think sometimes long protocol just isn't right for some people. Often clinics go with long protocol to begin with - not sure why. Mine said that the problem with short protocol is that it is easier to ovulate and so rather than taking that risk they go with long. The long protocol surpresses you more. In the short you introduce cetrodide at day 4ish (can't quite remember) and this is used to prevent ovulation rather than surpressing you at the beginning. Don't give up yet, trust your clinc,  the short protocol does have lots of success.x

Offline Staying hopeful

modify
    « Reply #5 on: 23/03/14, 19:43 »
    Hello, I have recently had a l/p abandoned due to poor response as well. We only had 2 good sized follicles and it is our clinic's policy not to go to ec unless you have 3 follicles above 18mm or more. We were given the option to continue if we wanted to, but they also said that we could cancel and have another free go using the s/p next time. We decided to cancel as we couldn't afford to take the risk.

We start our s/p when my next AF arrives, which should be the first week of April. I can't help with whether it will work again, but I do know that we have been given a second chance. We are all too aware of what happened last time, and are obviously scared about it failing again, especially as we now know how it feels. But like the nurse at our refresher session said to us, we have to take one step at a time and try and stay positive. Try not to jump again and think what if the next bit doesn't work, if it doesn't work then you can deal with it then :)

We have to try and stay positive  ^hugme^