* Author Topic: Only 4 follicles this cycle, but 10 on my last , confused.  (Read 2628 times)

0 Members

Offline purpledream

Oh Purpledream, my heart is breaking for you.  I am so, so sorry.

I know that you won't feel like talking or making any decisions right now, so just to say that I am thinking about you and sending you so many  ^hugme^ xxx

Thanks Molly99, you are very sweet. You are in your 2WW now so do take care of yourself cause this might just be the one! I do go through the same thing. Sometimes I am very upset and some days I am chirpier.

I am having another scan on monday (4th one) to see how things are before the doctor finalizes our options and recommends the way to go.

I went to get a second opinion so spent the day with a lot of waiting and running. Wrote my post last at night.
The reason I went to see another doc cos my first doc has totally no time and I wanted to find out how could I have aged so fast. The first cycle was in end Oct. Think I will open another thread on it.

^hugme^

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline purpledream

Purple, so sorry to hear...  :( ^hugme^ i know you must feel awful. i'm really keeping everything crossed for you, who knows, those two may contain two amazing eggs!

Molly and Vicky, thanks for your kind words, and I hope the 2ww is treating you well! xx

Sorry to hear about it Bluefrog.  ^hugme^

I want to say don't give up yet. It takes a little longer but we will eventually get there.

Offline purpledream

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

I am on my second cycle of IVF, short protocol max stimms.  But despite having a good response last year 10 follicles 9 eggs, this time on my day 9 scan they could only see 4 follicles.  I was really shocked as my baseline follicle count on day 2 was around 8-9 so I can't understand why I haven't responded to the drugs as well this time when I have not changed anything and my baseline scan was similar to last year????

I know it only takes one but am feeling very despondent as I feel that not only can I not manage to get pregnant, but I can't even seem to produce eggs now. :(

Hi vicki_857 Just wanted to say I am also going through the same. I also have around the same AMH and am the same age as you.
    I totally can't understand too. Although for me, my second cycle had a number of things changed.

I have heard a number of stories where the success cycle was from the cycle that produced fewer. So quantity may not be directly correlated to success sometimes.  :)

Offline vicki_857

Hi purpledream,
    Thanks so much for your positive words, you must be going through such a difficult time at the moment.  I hope Monday gives you some positive news.

I too am baffled at what has happened and how so much can have changed in such a short time.  It's so hard to know if this is just a bad month for us, or if my amh is dropping really quickly.  Did you get any answers from the clinic??
      I'm trying to stay positive but already wondering what to do next if this round fails, may be donor eggs for me after this, as unless there is a better chance next time I don't think I will do another IVF with my own.  The disappointment after going through the whole process is just to much for me.

Xxxxx

Offline purpledream

Hi purpledream,
    Thanks so much for your positive words, you must be going through such a difficult time at the moment.  I hope Monday gives you some positive news.

I too am baffled at what has happened and how so much can have changed in such a short time.  It's so hard to know if this is just a bad month for us, or if my amh is dropping really quickly.  Did you get any answers from the clinic??
      I'm trying to stay positive but already wondering what to do next if this round fails, may be donor eggs for me after this, as unless there is a better chance next time I don't think I will do another IVF with my own.  The disappointment after going through the whole process is just to much for me.

Xxxxx

I totally feel you. I also feel my amh is dropping too quickly. Every morning I would wake up with a mini panic attack and the feeling of a BFN becomes so real. I have to quickly switch thoughts and distract myself.

I just felt I really needed a second opinion that day after leaving the first doctor. I spoke to another doctor whose patients generally failed IVF too many times and don't want IVF anymore or are generally against IVF. Though he is an IVF doctor, he first line of action is IUI. He heard that the first doctor had no time for me and he gave me a scan to give me the size of my follicles which helped cheer me up a little cos I for one like to know everything.

He was really optimistic about how he wanted to look at it. He advocates IUI as first step due to less mental reserve needed and asked me to try it if this round fails. I know deep down I am totally running out of time and IVF is my answer. Sorry this is a bit out of point. Just that wanted to say there are doctors out there that despite low amh still believe in good old ways. I am too anxious though.

He said it could be due to the long protocol whereby I had down regulated for 12 days by the time antral follicle scan was done and it was half the number of the first cycle. My first cycle they retrieved 9 out of 14. The difference is I already had half the number at the baseline scan.
    At my third scan, it was revealed that my eggs are growing at different rates (with one dominant one that will be sacrificed in order to grow the other 2), not growing or can't be seen anymore (suddenly disappeared) and 2 is the maximum they can retrieve.
    I would still need to consider if the 2 they retrieve are normal and mature enough and on top of that whether they will fertilize. I have MFI. For the first cycle, 2 out of 9 were not normal.

The second doctor said that it is very likely that at the base scan they could have already seen that there was one dominant one with the rest at different sizes and if so, normally there is the option of scheduling it for the next month instead. He couldn't really say why I have much fewer other than maybe it is cos of the protocol but he didn't say it was because I am aging that fast. Oh well, I have decided to switch to private next round. The wait at the public hospital is vey long, not to mention I don't like their one size fits all protocol. I feel like every month I wait, I age along with it.

I think you should not give up! You made it to the transfer and that is a big thing. You have a good chance.  ^pray^ Do take good care of yourself. You had 7 out of 9 fertilized the other time. That is very promising in terms of quality!
    I hope I make it to transfer too :) For me I have endo and I have never smelt a BFP.

Maybe antral follicle count can vary and this is a bad month for us. But I definitely don't think is time to think about donor eggs yet. :)

My thoughts are with you.

Sorry for my long post - lol

Offline vicki_857

I really think you should consider going private.  I am totally self funded as no ivf funded where I live for over 34, which is a bugger financially however the care I receive from my consultants is top notch.  They are incredibly supportive and they always reply to an email/phone call with queries straight away.
    I wonder if the long protocol caused your problems? I know my clinic would not even consider it for me as they said I would not manage to "bounce back" after the down reg.  I have always done short protocol.  I am partly wondering if my problems this month were caused by the down reg for my frozen cycle in December as my cycle was really delayed after that, I just don't think it suits me.
    perhaps consider a second opinion at another clinic with a good reputation? If nothing else it will give you answers and sometimes that's half of the battle.

Xxxx

Offline purpledream

I really think you should consider going private.  I am totally self funded as no ivf funded where I live for over 34, which is a bugger financially however the care I receive from my consultants is top notch.  They are incredibly supportive and they always reply to an email/phone call with queries straight away.
    I wonder if the long protocol caused your problems? I know my clinic would not even consider it for me as they said I would not manage to "bounce back" after the down reg.  I have always done short protocol.  I am partly wondering if my problems this month were caused by the down reg for my frozen cycle in December as my cycle was really delayed after that, I just don't think it suits me.
    perhaps consider a second opinion at another clinic with a good reputation? If nothing else it will give you answers and sometimes that's half of the battle.

Xxxx

I suspect I have been over-supressed with 20IU of Lupron. I need a more customized approach given my age and issues and yes definitely giving up on my current doctor who has absolutely no time for me. However, going private is triple the cost from where I come from but I have made peace with that.

I read up a bit more on antagonist cycles - it can help avert over-suppression that happens with Lupron.
    From what you say, it could sound like me… not bouncing back!!