* Author Topic: Moo's birth story - induction. Not quite to plan, but all's well that ends well!  (Read 2110 times)

0 Members

Offline moo84

• Gold Member

At 41+1 I saw my midwife at home and on examination my cervix was completely closed and posterior. She was unable to perform a stretch and sweep due to my cervix being ‘unfavourable’. So, I was booked for induction at 41+5 at the hospital.
As instructed I rang the labour ward at 7am on the Saturday morning and was told to come in for 8.30. On arrival at the unit we were taken to a bed in a bay of 4 and told a midwife would be with s shortly.

By 9 a midwife and her student had checked me in and examined me – cervix was still exactly the same as it had been a few days earlier. Baby and I were hooked up to the CTG monitor for 30 minutes, I was then given the gel pessary and monitored for another 45 minutes.

After that I was advised to walk lots and to be back on the ward by 3pm. So we went off for an explore of the hospital. Lots of walking up and down the corridors and stairs a coffee break and lunch in the hospital canteen followed and I could feel some contractions happening.

About 2pm we went back to the ward and I was given some paracetamol for the contraction pain. Around 3pm I was hooked back up to the monitor and then re-examined. I was having contractions but midwife thought these were probably a reaction to the gel, not true labour contractions. My cervix was completely unchanged.
So 6 hours after the first pessary I was given a 2nd. I was left on the monitor for a further 45 minutes and during that time I started having stronger and stronger contractions, although the monitor was not picking them up very well so the midwife had to keep fiddling with the settings and positioning of the probes.

About 30 minutes in to being monitored after the 2nd gel I was starting to really struggle with the pain of the contractions. The midwife remarked on how well composed I was, but that’s just because I go quiet when in real pain rather than shouting out! I said to her that I realised how ‘wussy’ I sounded, but how much worse were the contractions going to get and how long would this be going on for?! She was very nice but basically said that it was still very early days and this realistically might be going on well in to the next day……. About 5 minutes later she was back to look at the monitor and I said that again, sorry to be bothering her and I knew it probably sounded silly this early on – but that the contractions were ‘feeling a bit pushy’! She responded again that it was still really very early, but that she would get me moved to a delivery room where I would probably be more comfortable. Mike and the midwife picked up all our bits and pieces and we walked (very sowly!) between contractions, to the delivery room.

Once I was on the bed the midwife re-examined me – and was surprised to find that I was now 9.5cm dilated!! At this point I asked if I could now please have some pain relief and the midwife quickly set me up with gas and air.
Gas and air is amazing!! It makes absolutely no difference to the pain level, but I just didn’t care about it anymore!
At this point the monitor showed that baby’s heartrate was decelerating on the contractions, and her baseline heartrate had gone up. The midwife got the Obstetrician, who examined me and discussed that we would continue to monitor baby, but that he might decide to get her out sooner rather than later… He didn’t want me pushing yet though as there was still a little cervix in the way. I was vaguely aware of conversations happening between the professionals about going to theatre, and the option of a c-section, but I was having to concentrate too hard on the contractions to follow them or get too worried.

It felt like just a couple of contractions later that the Obstetrician was back and re-examining me. He decided at that point that the remaining cervix was moving out the way and he was still concerned about baby so said if I felt I could push I should.

I started pushing as hard as I could on each contraction and at some point managed to let Mike know that I liked being able to feel his hand on my shoulder (I couldn’t hold his hand as I was holding the gas and air, and then later on my own leg). At this point the midwives changed shift – I was barely aware of this and wouldn’t have been able to tell you the new midwife’s name for any amount of money!

The new midwife and her student changed my position by putting my legs up on rests to make the pushing more effective, and the Obstetrician set himself up on a stool ‘down that end’.

Around this time the gas and air was taken away from me so that I was only concentrating on pushing.  The Obstetrician told me that he was still concerned about baby’s heartrate and explained that he wanted to put a probe on her head to get more reliable readings from her. When he started to actually do this however, he decided that things had progressed even further on than he thought and so he wanted her out as soon as possible. He explained that he would give me an episiotomy and use ventouse to help get her out a bit quicker.

The ventouse was put on and Mike says that he pulled so hard on it as I was pushing that it came off and had to be put back on! I was then told that if I pushed really hard on the next contraction he’d be able to see her head.
So the next contraction came, and I pushed as hard as I possibly could – all I remember next is the Obstetrician saying ‘ooh, you monkey!’ as he plopped my baby up on my tummy!! She had apparently decided to come out all in one go, and had also turned over so she was back to back.

At this point I had the Syntometrin injection to pass the placenta quicker (it was out within 5 minutes), and haemorrhaged quite a lot of blood from vessels in my perineum as due to the size of baby and the speed that she came out I had torn in the opposite direction to the episiotomy.

The midwives left baby on my tummy for quite a while, and I just couldn’t believe how beautiful she was! Mike had to hold my gas and air for me as they had given it back to me to use through the stitching up process. This took a good 45 – 50 minutes, during which baby was taken to the other side of the room to be checked over, weighed etc. She was deemed officially perfect! Weighing 8lb 15oz – huge!!

The whole labour had taken a grand total of 2 hours 41 minutes!

Mike was amazing throughout the whole process, I wasn’t sure beforehand how he would cope as he is notoriously squeamish, and not a fan of hospitals, but he was so supportive and I wouldn’t have managed nearly so well without him by my side.

Jessica Rosa is the most beautiful baby in the world! We had a rocky first 36 hours with my BP being a bit all over the place and feeling very dizzy due to low hb following the haemorrhage and then on our first night on the postnatal ward Jessica had a bilious vomit and ended up being transferred to Southampton PaedsICU for investigation of a potential bowel obstruction, luckily all was found to be fine and after another few days in hospital as both of us were on antibiotics we were allowed home. Settling into being a new little family has it’s own challenges, but I wouldn’t change anything, Jessica is just perfect and more than makes up for the lack of sleep I’m getting!!!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement