* Author Topic: vale76 Ds arrival (vb) positive but no pain relief  (Read 2356 times)

0 Members

Offline vale76

• Gold Member
Well DS is my second little miracle, his big sister was born 1 year and 3 days before him.
I was lucky enough to have a lovely straightforward birth with dd but was feeling a little nervous about DS as at 35 wk scan they estimated him at 7lb 1oz already so I was expecting a big boy. He wasn't much of a kicker but was constantly stretching and rolling, he was also engaged from 36 wks so towards the end i was getting pretty uncomfortable with one thing and another.

I had been feeling a little "off" from around 39 wks so had a feeling he wouldn't be too long, at 39+3 I took dd out for a longish walk in her pushchair to see if I could get gravity to help me out. I had been having some pretty strong bh for a few days but put it down to the raspberry leaf tablets doing their job. In the afternoon I got a sudden burst of enwrgy and felt better than I had in ages so wondered if things were going to start and by tea time the bh were coming a bit more regularly and more intense with some pelvic pain too.

The bh stopped after a couple of hours so we went to bed but I woke up with contractions about 1.45am. I monitored them for a while then had a shower and woke DH about 3.30am, got the tens machine on and arranged for my mum to come and have dd.

Got to the hospital about 4.30am. The contractions were quite intense but not too regular so they didn't examine me until about 6am. I was about 3cm and on the cusp of second stage so they gave me the option of staying or going. By the strength of the pains,I decided to stay. Still using just my tens machine at this stage. I asked for some pain relief about an hour later but they would only give me co codamol.

By 8am I was struggling with the pain a bit but the mw said she wasn't prepared to diagnose me as in active labour yet as I seemed to be coping too well and was to calm so I couldn't have anything. I asked her to do an internal to check as I thought things were progressing more than that but she refused to do it before 9.15 as "the indications wernt there" she left me bouncing on a ball until 9.15 when she finally examined me.

Tbh I was starting to get a bit worried as I felt that I wasn't coping with the pain well enough for latent phase but when she looked the mw was gobsmacked and had to get the sister to double check as I was fully dilated and ready to go.... (My waters went during the exam) I replied "I told you it was hurting can I gave some flaming gas and air now please!" She just said "you were just too calm, I can't believe how well you have done"

She then a bit sheepishly gave me some gas and air for about 3 minutes then told me to stop using it as it was time to push lol. A couple of pushes and a couple of minutes later and DS came into the world at 9.40am, only 7lb 11oz in the end but lovely

Overall it was a great labour, pretty quick, nice and calm and on reflection it was ok with just the tens machine but it would have been nice to have some gas and air to take the edge off.... The moral of the story is to shout a little louder if you feel you need to I suppose..

I hope you find this story a positive one as I will certainly remember it as a positive experience and I also hope it gives some reassurance to anyone about to have a baby... Good luck x

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline sarahsuperdork

• Gold Member
    modify
    vale76 Ds arrival (vb) positive but no pain relief
    « Reply #1 on: 5/06/14, 08:22 »
    Congratulations again vale, you did so well with no pain relief!

Offline Weebear

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 5/06/14, 08:52 »
    Glad it worked out well for you vale. Bloody mw should have checked you at your request.

Offline toeinwater

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 5/06/14, 09:02 »
    Yay for a positive birth experience! Annoying that the midwives don't always listen; I remember my friend saying that they wouldn't let her come into hospital as they didn't think she was in established labour - when they finally agreed to it she turned up fully dilated!

Offline x-gill-x

modify
    « Reply #4 on: 5/06/14, 10:49 »
    Fantastic vale!!!! Well done you!!!

Offline loopylulu888

• Got me an ICSI miracle!
    modify
    « Reply #5 on: 5/06/14, 12:57 »
    Wow u did so well!! Moral of the story lol...  ill be hanging off the midwifes leg in that case!! Xx

Offline BroodyChick

• Gold Member
    • IVF as single egg sharer w known donor
    modify
    « Reply #6 on: 10/06/14, 22:11 »
    What a wonderful story, I'm jealous!
    Honestly honey you are so blessed and how daft that midwife was not to believe what you told her. Welcome to the world, little boy! xxx