* Author Topic: 2 failed IVF - what to do now?  (Read 913 times)

0 Members

Offline til2104

• Un-Ranked
modify
2 failed IVF - what to do now?
« on: 15/06/14, 22:26 »
Hi, hoping somebody has any words of wisdom for us...sorry for the long story!!
We've had 2 rounds of IVF with the nhs.  I have a low AMH (<4 as it's the nhs and they don't specify) and my husband has been tested and all's fine there.  The first cycle I took 21/22 days of gonal f/luveris on the long protocol (with Prostap).  I took such a long time to have any response but got 5 eggs at collection which we were happy about.  2 fertilised and both transferred at day 2, but they didn't look great quality.  Unsurprisingly it was a BFN on testing.
The clinic decided to  put me on a non standard regime that they had tried on one other person (due to the length of time I took last time) - Fostimon, menopur and cetrotide short protocol.  All of the treatments have been at maximum doses.  I had one follicle at day 12 of 19mm and a couple lagging behind at 11&12 and they did offer to cancel collection and try again on Gonal F long protocol.  We really felt positive about our one dominant follicle as my oestrogen level was fine and it hadn't taken as long as last time.  We would have always had a 'what if' if we had given up on it, so went ahead with collection.
We went to retrieval on Friday and they couldn't get anything.  We were devastated as really thought there was something there.
So now that's our NHS turn over and we're considering the GCRM but can just afford to do one private.  Our worry is that I've responded so poorly both times, would going privately make any difference?  Egg donation has been discussed but not sure how we feel about that.  We've always been very open to adoption, but we're also not sure if we're ready to give up on having our own yet.
I've also read about natural ivf for people with low amh but not sure if the GCRM offer this?
Any advice, or other stories to help us make a decision would be so helpful...
xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Lilly83

• VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #1 on: 15/06/14, 23:03 »
    Hello

I have low AMH 2 and high FSH 23, we had 2 cycles last year the first we got 4 eggs with 100% fertilisation double transfer but bfn, second they cancelled due to my fsh tripling, they wouldn't let me cycle with such high fsh so we went down the donor route, I had it checked 5 months later just before i was matched and it was back down to 8, now I could of gone back and cycle with own eggs (nhs) but if this doesn't work we can't afford private treatment and I feel donor eggs increases our chances massively

If money wasn't an issue I would absolutely keep trying with my eggs

Lilly x

Offline til2104

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 16/06/14, 19:38 »
    Thanks Lilly, it's so frustrating going through this process as it's all such an unknown.  So are you still going down the donor road?  Money is our issue too as we can only afford to do either another IVF or donor but not both.  Do you know of anyone doing natural IVF?
    x

Offline Lilly83

• VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 16/06/14, 20:10 »
    Personally I would do donor but its not the same for everyone, I have 2 nhs cycles left and I'm using them both for donor, right at the start we said we would keep going with my eggs for all 3 but then you realise how slim your chances are and being a mum is more important than having a bio child

I don't know anyone that's done natural no, I want to have a chance at having frosties and I know I might get some with donor eggs

I'm down regging at the mo for a donor cycle x

Offline til2104

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #4 on: 16/06/14, 21:12 »
    We're in Glasgow and they've changed their policy to only offer 2 cycles on the nhs and don't pay for donor (at least I think they don't), so we've used all our 'free' chances.
    Good luck with this cycle - really hope it works out!
    x