* Author Topic: 1 failed ICSI, low AMH - Any hope??  (Read 904 times)

0 Members

Offline laura101

• Un-Ranked
modify
1 failed ICSI, low AMH - Any hope??
« on: 24/06/14, 17:56 »
Well this is my first post although I'm a long time 'lurker'! I'm just feeling pretty hopeless at the moment. My first ICSI failed just over 3 months ago and I honestly feel that I'm never going to achieve a BFP. I'm just about to turn 39, my AMH is 3.9 although my FSH levels are good. We are in the 'unexplained' infertility category and have been ttc for over 5 years. Mt last protocol was short (and it turned out to be shorter than I imagined as I responded very quickly to the stimms) - 10 good sized follies after 5 days of gonal f 300. In spite of all the follies only 2 eggs were collected but both fertilised and I was amazed to have had two top grade embies transferred at day 3. Obviously I was devastated when they both failed.

I've had my follow up appointment and they are changing my protocol to long which I think is a good decision and I'm having autoimmune testing and blood clothing tests done just to rule these problems out. My consultant was lovely but I got the feeling that he thinks I've got absolutely no chance using my own eggs. Not that he said this (and I know they are trained to manage our expectations) but I left his office feeling like a foolish 'past it' woman who should just give up. Basically if I only produce 2 eggs again he said my chances of achieving pregnancy is 10 per cent....I didn't even bother asking what the live birth rate would be... :'( :'(

I just wanted to know if there is any hope for me? I'm just about to start again and I feel so depressed about my chances.     

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Sweetpea123

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #1 on: 24/06/14, 18:06 »
    Hi,

Check out the low amh thread and there are plenty of women on there who have had their miracles.

Don't let drs fob you off. Amh is just one part of the puzzle. Some clinics do not even go by amh. My clinic doesn't as long as your fsh is under 10.

There is always hope! So don't give up. Do your research and change clinics to one that will look after you and make you feel positive. You are not past it!!!

As a rule I thought short protocol was better for low amh.

All the best xx

Offline Lilly83

• VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 24/06/14, 18:24 »
    Hi Laura

Im similar to you, I had a failed double transfer last year with an AMH of 2, I got 4 eggs with 100% fertilisation, my fsh jumped to 23 afterwards though, I'm having my first donor cycle now but its a financial decision for us, if we could afford it I would keep trying with my eggs but I know moving to donor increases my chances, don't give up on yours if you aren't ready

Lilly x

Offline laura101

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 24/06/14, 23:41 »
    Thank-you so much for the replies and the advice - I will check out the success story threads to try to give myself a bit of a pep up!

I can't remember exactly what my FSH was but it was definitely under 10 so that at least is a positive. I am seriously thinking about changing clinics after this. I know my age isn't 'ideal' but I would like just a little bit more positivity or at least an acknowledgment that it was an achievement to get to transfer with two good embies!

I think the long protocol might be a better fit for me as I responded so quickly to the stimms. My consultant was mulling over the fact I can throw up a good number of follicles but not eggs and he went over some more results with me (my mind is a bit of a blur as to the details) but he thinks longer might be the right fit for my body - although I know short is usually the way to go with low AMH. 

I have thought about donor eggs and I really wish you all of the very best for your cycle. I think donation is something I would consider seriously but I feel after only 1 cycle I'm being somewhat pointed in that direction rather than encouraged to continue with my own and then reconsider my options after maybe a 2nd or 3rd cycle. Thank-you for telling me not to give up until I'm ready to.     

Laura xx