* Author Topic: PLEASE READ: Share Your Top IVF Survival Tips  (Read 23495 times)

0 Members

Offline MrsNicolaB

Well season one of orange is the we black got me through to egg collection, now I'm on season 2 for the 2ww. We have Vikings coming soon so my husband informs me so i will report back! Also got pirates on order too, I left the box set ordering up to him!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline missy12

• Gold Member
    modify
    found some ivf tips
    « Reply #11 on: 5/08/14, 09:24 »
    thought there were some good tips in this...

Advise Post IVF Embryo Transfer
    Implantation
    Prepare yourself for a few days rest!.  Take this time to completely relax and rely on support partners.  The following are some suggestions for Post Transfer:
    It is best to completely avoid any alcohol, coffee, coca-cola or other stimulants.
    Do not eat cold foods. No ice cold beverages and ESPECIALLY avoid ice cream. Think nourishing foods like soups and stews, porridge for breakfast.
    Eat well, using the dietary advice given in consultation. Aim for alkaline rather than acidic foods. Get plenty of essential fatty acids; avocados, nuts, seeds, olive oil.
    Consume lots of organic vegetables. Make sure they are cooked! Do not eat raw foods.
    Have the foods ready in the house so there is no need for travel.
    Stay hydrated with plenty of water at room temperature.
    Avoid straining with bowel movement in the days following transfer. If you are prone to constipation, increase dietary fibre or take a mild stool softener (but not a laxative).
    Exercise daily before IVF transfer, but do not begin any exercise program just before or during a cycle. If you do exercise, avoid sit-ups or any jarring, high-impact, or heavy weight-lifting exercises that make you grunt and raise intra-abdominal pressure. I recommend walking, except on the days immediately following transfer.
    Avoid carrying or lifting heavy objects that can strain the abdominal muscles.
    Avoid douching and swimming pools in order to avoid undue contamination of the vagina. Also avoid saunas, hot tubs and Jacuzzis.
    Avoid unnecessary exposure to solvents and paints containing lead.
    It is best to avoid intercourse for two weeks.
    Always keep your feet warm, wear socks, never use hot packs on your low back or abdomen, hot packs on your feet are great and safe.
    After transfer, remain as calm and stationary as possible. Meditate. Breathe deeply. Listen to soothing music, imagine the embryo implanting, visualize, see it, and believe it.
    Laugh a lot, stay positive and rely on your support group to help out at this time; the waiting is stressful, so be nice to yourself.
    Listen to yourself. How will you feel best about this time? Will taking time off from work help? Do your best to keep stress hormones out of the equation. Give the embryo within you as much help as you can to settle into its new home.

Offline firedragon

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    PLEASE READ: Share Your Top IVF Survival Tips
    « Reply #12 on: 5/09/14, 14:21 »
    1. focus on yourself, focus on yourself, get fit, get healthy, exercise, eat well and simplify your life as much as you can.
    2. Let go of negative energies. Few will understand or sympathise. Those that at least try are worth keeping close by. Those that don't are not worth your energy right now but don't be consumed by that negative energy. Just draw a mental line under that and focus on yourself for a while. One of the best things I did before my last cycle was to draw a line under an unhealthy 'friend' who told me my infertility was like the elephant in the living room...
    3. Work methodically through possible fertility issues one by one and don't let presumed problems consume you (i was convinced i had problems related to past mistakes but this is not helpful either..)
    4. Remember that no matter how hard it seems, you need to keep in your head that you can have a perfectly wonderful life without children too and can do lots of things people with kids can't do. Don't make it the be all and end all otherwise the heartache becomes too much. I know it is easy to say but you need to find that peace even during the ivf process to let go of the stress, feelings of failure, feelings of not being a real women which are absolutely and utterly false.

These are my reflections on my 6 years of failed attempts...hope it could help someone today.

Offline MrsPG

modify
    « Reply #13 on: 11/01/15, 13:01 »
    My top tip is post it notes. I get so dippy when I'm down regulating. I post it everything. I keep a pad in my handbag and if I remember that I need to do something I wrote it down straight away. I stick them on the door so I see them before I leave the house ("Take lunch from fridge") I stick them on the kitchen cupboards, on the bathroom mirror ("take contact lenses out before bed" no, I'm not joking!) everywhere.

Offline lamb38

modify
    « Reply #14 on: 20/01/15, 19:28 »
    What a fantastic thread, thanks for all your tips!

Some things that helped me..

Being kind to myself. Might sound a bit daft but it's so easy to forget to be kind to yourself. Imagine how you would treat the person you love the most in the whole world if they were going through what you're going through and treat yourself in the same way.

Lots of salads, veg, seeds, nuts, eggs and homemade dressings

Many, many healthy treats (I have a penchant for fresh fruits & melted chocolate. Ok.. so maybe the choc bit isn't 100% healthy!)

Plenty of water. Love the idea above of numbered bottles! I don't think I had enough water all of the time as I had bouts of being very tired and down

As many walks in the outdoors as possible every week

Time away from work and responding to my body when it told me to rest

Using the list of questions that I found on another thread here (https://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=66631.msg888399#msg888399). It really helped in getting as much information as possible in all the meetings at the clinic when I was feeling daunted and dazey.

Something I wish I had done but didn't is to be confident in my right to ask as many questions as it takes to make me feel comfortable, no matter how rushed the doctors and nurses are being!

Best of luck everybody!

^fairydust^

Offline chooshoos

• Gold Member
    • unfashionably late to the party
    modify
    « Reply #15 on: 20/01/15, 19:44 »
    super thread!
    thank you for sharing these tips and suggestions - will be needed soon I hope  :P

Offline kappa

modify
    « Reply #16 on: 23/01/15, 15:40 »
    Brilliant thanks I got my offer of treatment today and am very nervous x

Offline NT

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #17 on: 9/04/15, 23:08 »
    These are truly great tips!

The one tip I can offer using ice or an ice pack or a frozen piece of something from the freezer to place on the area you are going to inject.
    It really helps to numb the area and makes the injections very tolerable.
    Especially good for the intramuscular injections too!

Best wishes everyone  :)
    NT

Offline hollywood130

modify
    « Reply #18 on: 2/05/15, 14:58 »
    Thanks for adding these tips, I'm going for my IVF information talk and history appointment on May 12th, so will be going through IVF pretty soon, so looking forward to getting started! Will certainly be taking these tips on board, have made notes 😉

Offline CMJ

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #19 on: 5/10/15, 12:38 »

To add to the tips:

When I've been injectioning Menopur it's been painful...I chewed on a bit of celery to take my mind away from the pain and it really helped! You can chew on a sweet too but it was the crunching that lasted long enough through the injection which got me through! I also know a friend who froze her tummy for a short time first.