* Author Topic: home education diary  (Read 56628 times)

0 Members

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
modify
home education diary
« Reply #100 on: 3/11/14, 15:38 »
New car!!!! woohoo so happy. finally got music again YAY!!!
so in between dentist and car we have managed to do an alphabet jigsaw,with john, numeracy with dice for A. J has watched the letterland story, seemed quite interested.
we've had alphabet stamp and ink out, chalks and chalk board and lego.
theyre not quite back into the swing of it yet, but they will be.
i suppose overall, not too bad for our first day 'back at unschool' hahaha
will be able to get them back on starfall (numeracy and literacy games) when i get the laptop back tonight.
then to see if i have enough money for ink so i can print off some more numeracy worksheets.
busy bee again :-)

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #101 on: 3/11/14, 22:39 »
    What sort of car have you got?

I have no tunes in mine. We got it 4 1/2 years ago when 1 was 10w pregnant with the twins - first big purchase for them, but dps car had died and we need 2 for work. So bought 10 year old renault scenic people carrier. After a couple of months the battery died and so we replaced it. But we don't have the code for the stereo.
    I keep thinking about getting the code but every time I start thinking seriously about it something goes wrong with the car so I am now superstitious about it. In fact few weeks ago I was thinking again about getting code. Next thing car makes a  funny noise and 200 later... But it's a great wee car - best 1500 I have ever spent on a car. I hoped to get a couple of years out of it. But it is 15 years old in the spring and the garage thinks I'll get another year.

People vary re how best to deal with losing a pet. For some, while they never replace,  it is best to get another one asap as without them life is so without meaning and routine. And if social life centred on eg walking dog.

Good your friend walks dog 3x daily :shame about the diet. Tell her she will kill with kindness. Obesity is huge problem in all species. Some studies up to 80% of pets overweight or obese. Scary

Ideally they need  20 mins twice daily and a main walk of at least 1 hour for adults. Given you have an old soldier I would advise 10 to 20 mins 4 to 6 times daily as that keeps joints moving but doesn't over tire.  Good for pup too, tho if chihuahua prob doesn't even need that at this age ( and not out till fully vaccinated ). Just make sure your old boy is wormed etc as well atm.
    Well done re the no human food, but be careful re the tea. Lots of dogs lactose intolerant so cant digest sugar in milk.

We went to family story  time yesterday at the Scottish youth theatre. Interactive storytelling with kids joining in. Only max of 30 people including kids so very good fun.

Anyway, need sleep and hope higher dose painkillers helps.

x x

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #102 on: 4/11/14, 08:56 »
    New car is a vauxhall zafira. last car was a renault 7 seater when i stupidly thought i would be extending my family. yeah, that didnt turn out so well!
    i liked renault a little but i found it to be too light steering for me. first trip out i nearly crashed it into some railings as i was expecting steering to be a lot heavier like my original car a vauxhall astra. that was heavy steering, same as the zafira. so glad im back with vauxhall :-)
    renault dealers told me the reason that car kept screwing up was because i was driving it wrong. ok, so it was an automatic - twll me how do you 'drive it wrong?' glad to be shot of it. yours sounds like.a good one though.
    my dog - tea- he thieves it but i dont take sugar anymore. thought he would go off pinching it but no. my friend said last night that she can see light at the end of tunnel now she knows shes possibly getting a new.dog, wish i could feel the same way over my mcs. wish i had been able to collect a new baby from somewhere every time i miscarried, so that comment cut me to tbe quick, but i let it pass as i know shes grieving.

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #103 on: 4/11/14, 09:03 »
    Taking her to the bingo this afternoon, to get her out (happens to be both our favourite hobby) and i need a break. A spent the whole weeks holiday melting down as we took my mum with us and i dont know if has issues or was just showing off, but it was a very hard 'holiday'. he is calming down a bit slightly now were home but not back to the level he was at before the holiday. she didnt make it any easier by making comments lime "dont you ever do as youre told" which of course escalated the situation. was glad to get home.
    my old soldier boy gets plenty of exercise. the kids chase him round all day. i want him to sit with me etc etc. the dog takes it for a.little while and then takes himself off upstairs to chill out with my eldest. i am looking forward to getting the pup though. his vaccinations have been brought forward to the 11th as we get him this saturday.
    right, A beginning to stir, might take them down the library and get library cards and books. should be fun. see if they have old dr who dvds. theyll enjoy that

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #104 on: 4/11/14, 23:38 »
    Hi,

I hope you got stuff you wanted at the library.  Any dr who dvds? My two love the books "where's the doctor? " and "when's the doctor " . A bit like where's wally but finding tardis etc.

Dp actually been doing some homework with kids from nursery. I think as I have made it quite clear that, unlike with eveything else, I have no intention of doing it all. He wants them to go to school etc he can do the homework. I think as I spent sat telling his parents how I still would prefer to HE and it would send to school only if my health made HE difficult and how i felt school would not work with our routine etc, esp as dp does nothing leaving it all for me when I get in from work. Lets put it this way - I came in tonight to find dd still in and ds just out the bath. First time ever dp has given them aa bath. Shame he hadn't thought to wash hair ...  ;D

Big hugs . I know you've had a tough time of it re your m/c . While your furbabies will never replace they can keep everyone amused.

sorry A back to being hard work. Dd was a bit the same over the weekend. As she said there were too many people . I think it was too much going on with not enough quiet us time. Could it be the same with A? Esp as he was getting into routine re HE? Hopefully things will settle again soon.

Big hugs.

x x

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #105 on: 5/11/14, 00:23 »
    Yes, we signed up. the kids not understanding the 'be quiet and sit still in the library' rule. running around. playing with the 'magic' doors. J having a fit because the toilet door was locked. (someone was using it). inside i was smiling because they were having fun. outside, i tried to 'calm them down' as librarian was looking quite stern. how do they do that face to perfection??? we got a dr who dvd and a.taz dvd. for 2. and with the kids cards there are no overdue fees. good to know, as i forgot to pick my friend up from work :-( whoops!
    they had some time on the library park and then chilled watching their dvds.
    hoping A will be calmer now.
    bedtime was good tonight. we got in the room and J says i want nursery rhymes and 'its a book' A said i want bibke stories as we havent read thwm for a while ..... and it is part of learning, you know. i kept a very straight face, even though i was killing myself laughing inside.
    J can recite all of the nursery rhymes, i do run my finger over the words, but hes not always looking. i dont know if reciting is good or nit.
    wow, your dh bathing them - thats a step in the right direction ...... and homework!!!! i am impressed. hair washing hmm, boys allow me to wash their hair about 4 times a year. good job its self cleaning if left long enough. thays what i keep telling myself anyhow ;-)
    my fur babies will bring me a lot of pleasure. think im closing the door on trying for 1 more, but answers would be good. as much as i would love another one. however, i do realise my life is rather full atm without the addes pressure of another baby /mc. my last mc was due on xmas day 2014 and instead im on slimming world trying to get prednisolone weight off. but hey ho. my living kids have to be the priority and i need to stop dwelling on what is gone.
    we are off to the dog rescue centre tomorrow, in a weird way it should be a nice day out.
    if A still feels confident he might even start asking them queatiins. when we were shopping in aldi on holiday, he asked me what the silver bump was for at the counter. i didnt know so he asked the lady and she tild him it was a magnet for the tags on the alcohol bottles. he asked why they needed them and how dis it work so she explained ppl thieve alcohol and the machine will pick up the magnet in the tag and go off. however if you were paying for the alcohol, then she would put tag into the silver bump and the magnet in there would help take the tag off the bottle. she looked very surprised that a boy as young as him was asking these questiins. and she slowed down scanning. i actually stood a chance at packing my shopping :-) even i was interested :-)
    so it may nit be national curriculum but he is being educated i think.
    anyway off to bed, i actually feel nice tired instead of stressed tired for a change

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #106 on: 5/11/14, 19:46 »
    Got her a dog. :)
    we got lost on the way there and return journey.
    had a friend over for A to play after she finished school.
    now trying to relax while the kids are on xbox.
    off to ball park tomorrow and HE meet fri. busy week doing nit a lot :)

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #107 on: 5/11/14, 22:56 »
    J recited its a book and all his nursery rhymes to me at bedtime. then a look at avengers annual and then i started readi.g a piece out from the net about how scholls are killing vital synapses in children through teaching and expecting all kids to fit in the perfect learning box. words like intuitive, cognitive, adhd symptoms etc and he satthere and let me read it to him. anecdotes of children not learni.g phonics but go on to read independently, just pick a book and start, without any directed teaching. he lay there and just listened for about 15 mins. and then said stop mum. i suppose it doesnt matter what the content is particularly, i imagine its the intonation in the voice, the flow of the reading. at least thats what im hoping. and he'll just pick it up.

i am so proud of my dh tonight. A had a huge meltdown over the bl**dy xbox. J had claimed it and was playing on his own when A decided it was his turn. A had already had it on his own and J hadnt complained, but by god, A was very vocal. so i pointed this out and A went berserk. started off with throwing rubbish, no reaction from us. next the argos catalogue, again no reaction. then J's toy pushchair, no reaction. then he tried smashing dads guitar up. still no reaction (think i was gobsmacked, frozen). so then he upped it several gears, became physical towards.dh. punching, kicking, biting, hitting dh wirh dh's belt. hitting him in the head, neck, stomach, testicles, penis. generally awful. by this point, i was holding J and shielding his eyes. all dh said "are you feeling better now?". worst was the 2nd bite. he had drawn blood and pierced the skin. dh still didnt react angrily.
    A then tried to rip a map off the wall and smash the globe. i gently got him away from him and said "i think you need to apologise to your dad and give him a hug" within 20 seconds he was calm and apologising and hugging dad properly.
    i just dont know where his anger comes from sometimes. i think were.getting there and then bam! he has a bad episode like tonight. i just dont onow what to do to help him. dh normally has quite.a ahort fuse, but tonight he was incredibly calm and patient and just let A use him.as a punchbag. i dont get it.
    do we parent wrong? have we done this to him? or is it a good thing that he has enough confidence to do this and we wont hit back? were we wrong in letting him assault dh with little consequence? argh. i have never faced this kind of angst in a child so young, i dont know what i should be doing. ok, C got physical one wkend with me and dh when he was 15 and revising for exams. pressure git too much for him and i could see that and comforted muself with the fact that after he left school, his anxiety and pressure was no longer there and he returned to the child that i/we raised. but nearly 7?? im trying desperately to put a good spin on this but i am out of my depth. is all the [email protected] from school beginning to come out of his system which is why hes reacting like this and in that case is this good? or is it simply he couldnt get his own way with the xbox and he thought violence would get him what he wants. which he did of course, cos J was scared and went upstairs out the way.
    I have had words calmly that that behaviour wasnt acceptable but did it sink in?

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #108 on: 7/11/14, 21:23 »
    So a better day today.
    frantic but better. eldest to dentist, was lovely to spend time with hom even if it was for a filling :)
    lads have done their peppa pig weekly workbook and alzo made a marvle run from cardboard and cardboard box as instrucred by james.dyson challenge cards.
    very limited xbox time which really does improve behaviours. have told A especially if things dont.improve i will remove the xbox completely. i hate my dh for having it fixed. all the while it was broken kids were lovely and as my nanna used to say "remove the offending article" . so that is what i shall do if innappropriate behaviours persist.
    puppy day tomorrow! :)
    bought a diffuser from the vets that expels lacrating female dog pheromones. supposed to help calm dogs in stressful.situations.
    we shall see!

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #109 on: 7/11/14, 23:46 »
    Hi,
    I hope the adaptil plug in helps. Think of it as mummy dog smells tho doesn't smell to us.

I would say well done dh but I would have institited some form of time out earlier ie sent to naughty step. If no naughty step no xbox at all that day. I would also try and encourage to use words to explain how he is feeling.
    Ds lost use of tablet tonight. We were going shopping and he wouldn't put tablet down. Told if he wouldn't put tablet down no tablet when we came back from shopping.  Wouldn't put it down so no tablet tonight.

I stocked up on halloween stuff at sainsburys today. Outfits reduced to 2 from between 8 and 14 full price. Prob went a bit nuts but a dressing up box is I feel a childhood essential

good luck.

x x