* Author Topic: home education diary  (Read 56624 times)

0 Members

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
modify
home education diary
« Reply #120 on: 11/11/14, 14:22 »
Thank you honey, found it and replied.

currently do work books literacy while J is asleep. no way was my youngest ready for full time school. still having an afternoon snooze says he still quite young for his age.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #121 on: 13/11/14, 08:57 »
    Yesterday watching A play with his asd friend and being happily free, i had the strangest sensation. i realised i dont care (not in a bad way) that A might have asd. it just doesnt bother me. we think it may actually come from dh. he wont do eye contact, even now. he love(d) numbers and number patterns. he still loves drawing time tables now??? he has touchy/feely issues. i see remarkable simarlarities between them. incidentally J is exactly me when i was a.kid. loving, cheeky, mischievious. always smiling. A complete opposite.
    every morning J will give me a morning cuddle without asking and a kiss and then go downstairs. A will lie next to me not touching, is content to stay there, without speaking to me (stull here as im writing this) theres no point asking if he wants a cuddle as the response is invariably no!
    but im ok with this. im ok with asd tendencies. we havent had meltdowns for a.few days and life is pretty relaxed. they have a drawn clock with tv time and x box times and turn off times. this visual aid is helping A especially with 'following the rules' twice now when it has come to turn off time they have decided J turns tv off and A turns xbox off. no kick offs. i do tell them 10 mins till turn off just as a.little reminder but absolutely no arguements.
    there is no bullying going on between my family and the other HE family. really strange. A and the older sister (of the family) are both nearly 7 and play brilliantly together. seek each other out. J and the younger sister (whis 4, same as J) non asd, seek each other out and play happily. J alao plays with A and friend though. but myself and other mum have said we believe both our younger kids simply mimic some of the behaviours displayed by A and E, but we dont believe youngest are asd.  both are to squidgy and loveable to be asd.
    A yesterday then had 1 of his schoolie friends round, a girl he did get on with at scholl. was nice to see him interacting again.
    we are building lego stuff atm and they went in the attic and found squezee paint bruahes. paint is in the brush and no mess. J daubed his pictures and A painted a beautiful robin out of a colouring book. went in his folder. the painting was very neat.
    J spelt tissue out. OMG! he doesnt show mw he knows his alphabet and then spells something like tissue. i find this truly amazing. ask him to spell cat - not a chance ???? tissue. yeah no problem. doesnt make any sense to me!
    better go phone about to die
    have a good day everyone, i hope to

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #122 on: 13/11/14, 14:58 »
    Really good day. started off mediocre and it has got much much better.
    A wasnt co-operating getting dressed and thought it was ok to hit me and dh. all i did was take his wrists sit down behind him still holding him and restrained him. he tried to bite my arm twice and headbutted me in the stomach twice. i spoke to him calmly and quietly, reiterating not acceptable behaviour when all we want him to di is get dressed so we can take the boys out. held him for 5 minutes, asked if he was calm and going to get his jumper on. he agreed to both and everything was fine again.
    we went to the library, used the computers there for 2 hours of numeracy and literacy gamez - how productive. kids were told the rules. no chasing the magic doors, no shouting and running around. quietness and calmness the dish of the day. 2 major high 5's all round. behaved superbly. they also got 5 books each.
    thinking we will go library to study at least twice a week as it works better in that environment than home.
    returned home to find A's official discharge letter from CAMHS. woohoo. in there, he quite clearly states he cant see any issues with us HE'ing. he did say that A appeared very quiet and reticent. im not quite sure what that means. he also said A refused to talk to him alone. surely thats nit allowed?
    now having a quick bite to eat and then off to children in need do at the local vets. Kids get to wear their coats and get a certificate to say they've been vets for a day :)
    i have 4 to donate, i hope thats enough

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #123 on: 14/11/14, 22:50 »
    Hi folks,

jade - I know what you mean in you don't care re a having anything on the asd. However, there can be benefits in getting diagnosis re support. However, I understand not wanting to get involved with gp etc. I would say sit on it for a bit,  look for local support,  and consider looking for a private consultant in the future.  That way you get the best of care, they often also do nhs work so can fast track you into the parts of the system you want to access.

many of the home ed children have asd. HE works often better for them , and certainly A seems happier than at school from whst you've said. Just make sure you get enough you time too.

All children are individuals,  and it is about working with them. But well done on the dicipline front. I know from my friend who has 4 children 2 of which have asd that while discipline is more difficult,  it is more important.  Her catchphrase is "words, please" as the default for her asd kids ( one also has adhd ) is to lash out .

I hope this doesn't come out wrong, but I think you need to treat A as A , and try not compare him. It must be difficult with 3 boys. I know I sometimes compare my two, and even catch myself comparing this one and it's not even born yet.

I am glad pup is getting settled in ok. And I wouldn't worry about 4 for your vets children in need thing - I am sure noone cares so long as everyone donates a little something.

I hope you all had a great day, and you are currently snuggled down watching tv with a glass of vino or cup of tea.

Re dramas from children I've had a bit of a week of t from dd. I suspect linked to my fentanyl dopiness last week. But it's been complete battleground over clothes this week as she has suddenly decided that she only wants to wear dresses, having previously been a leggings gal. She has a few but not enough to wear every day, and is not getting to go to park in party dress. Some of the dresses she has she doesn't like so won't wear. So I tell her she can wear leggings. Cue meltdown. I am getting an hour every day.  Grrr.
    she then turnes round to me and told me I needed to buy her more dresses. Now, her dress phase started after she decided all her leggings were a bit small so I had just bought her a pile of new clothes. And besides that, there seems no rhymn or reason as to what dresses or tights she does / doesn't like.
    It is driving me potty, and keeps giving me headaches. On the one hand I don't want to squash her personality. On the other hand, I am not prepared to tolerate that behaviour.
    Ds on the other hand doesn't care what he wears, and would rather I picked his clothes out for him if it means he gets another 2 mins on his tablet.

Hey ho. 

X x

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #124 on: 16/11/14, 19:44 »
    Had a fairly good wknd. been playing labyrinth and trionimos. bith really good games :)
    hoping to get to the library at some point tomorrow.
    get some work done.
    altho A and i had a very interwsting chat about brains the othef morning. somehow it camr down to pur brains (like solid jelly) are protected by pur skull or wood. he now wants to do an experiment to see if he can push solid jelly through wood.
    he has decided to have a few friwnds round for his bday. a little spread and mum can we have fireworks. he doesnt do fireworks. so i bought a box containing 15 fireworks. the box says its appropriate for younger families so im hoping its not loud or screamers. none of us like those sort. got some sparklers and a buxket ready, 18 yr old will be lighting fw aas im twrrified of them. thankfully the animals really arent bithered, even pup. first night home and neighbours were letting off screamers and bangerz and he carried on sleeping on my knee.
    Right on with the show :D

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #125 on: 17/11/14, 18:29 »
    Laptop back.
    lots of literacy and numeracy done online today.
    happy bunny
    A was doing less than and more than number work.
    J identify 1 different pic in a sequence of 4 and also counting up to 10 (which he cando higher) but the important part was recognising the numbers. he did very well.
    quite pleased with thwm today

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #126 on: 17/11/14, 23:06 »
    Glad it was a good day.

x x

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #127 on: 18/11/14, 21:40 »
    dear diary

A got to plan all his games and prizes and party food today. we have decided were having a few friends school and HE, round. i have managed to get a small box of fireworks sitable for younger children with a noise level of 1. eldest will be lighting them.
    A helped me to do the 'party shop' so for the first time he has been a part of this process all the way through. he has done mental financial arithmetic and worked out how much we have spent for this party. he has done mental arithmetic working out how many sleeps till his birthday.
    then he did an hours study online numeracy, literacy, art, music, and the really good one financial numeracy. on the one were using at the moment, his yr colour is red. year 3 is orange. the financial one, working out who had spent 1.30 out of 4 people with varying amounts of money (pictures of various coins used) turned out to be year 3 stuff. he got 10/10. very proud of him.  ;D this website also gives me a parents desk , results and certificates child/ren have achieved. they get to earn virtual money which they can spend on building a tree house or games linked to subjects they're studying. A has earned a silver certificate.
    J has also started on this course. his yr is reception the colour is white. he has completed identifying differences in pictures. counting sheep etc up to 10, recognising numbers up to 10. recognising subtle image changes, recognising the reverse image. he has earned a bronze award. he is  starting to build his tree house. both certificates are waiting to be printed off.
    it also allows parents to set tasks. so although A is whipping through some of the elements, i can and have set up more practice pieces to make sure he is understanding what hes doing. it seems to be working.
    dh likes this set up. he did say tonight one of the problems with school was the teacher was marking (or not) their work and seeing the progress they were making. we, however, had to rely on the teachers opinion of our children and weren't seeing any progression, simply because work and curriculum wasn't spoken about at all to us, so therefore we didn't know our children's abilities. with this online program, we can actually see progression, every time we log on to results and certificates achieved. we know where our children are progressing and where they need further help.
    loving HE

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #128 on: 19/11/14, 21:29 »
    Both boys played with a balloon pump and balloons this morning. pumping balloons up without tying and then letting them go. DH said they were subconsciously learning about air pressure.
    Then we went into town. had a subway as well. that was a first for us. they sat and behaved themselves all the way through. J fell off his high stool backwards, managed to stay on his feet but careered into a 20yr old's leg. didnt hurt himself thankfully. we apologised and thanked the young man profusely.
    Then up to a fairly local church which is having a open week (all for free) to show off 'the staffirdshire hoard'. we went down to the crypt which A was quite frightened off as it was soooo dark, J was in his element. . then they played on a metal detector game to find some of the hoards mentioned. J enjoyed playing with the early anglo-saxon wooden sword. got some bumpf to put in their workfolders as evidence. even though i know its not for me to prove im educating them, rather the LA has to prove im not.
    home afterwards, and they have been playing minecraft all day. they have built more houses in their village. they are catchibg cows and sheep and spiders.
    now chilling. Both boys are still up as J fell asleep at 3 pm and woke up at 5 pm. so not good. theyre normally in bed now.
    till tomorrow

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #129 on: 19/11/14, 22:21 »
    Sounds like a great time was had by all.

X x