* Author Topic: home education diary  (Read 56633 times)

0 Members

Offline goldbunny

• Gold Member
  • Spot arrived safely!
modify
home education diary
« Reply #130 on: 19/11/14, 22:51 »
fascinated by this diary have you thought about writing a book?

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #131 on: 20/11/14, 09:41 »
    Merrian,
    maily a good day although i got "im bored". from A at the church, wasnt a a completely co-operative mood. i was very proud of him when he came down to the crypt the second time and walked round it though. fear of the dark overcome in the crypt. not at home though. still needs us to accompany him to the toilet at night. (monster and robbers still lurking in his mind). but i had a catalogue from the book people and have ordered a set of books on friendly monster stories, specifically for A. bought a first cookbook for both of them and dr who encyclopedia for A, which J will enjoy as well. 50 yrs worth of dr who's. couple of other books.for J, but bad mum moment cant remember what they are!
    today, pup is being handed all round local vets to stop him making the association that vets hurt them every time. its free and my pup gets to act like a celeb for the day. J currently making a tent with my duvet and pretending older dog is his tent companion :-) A thinking about having a morning dream before getting up. its 9.23 am and were enjoying no school routine.
    forgot.to mention A and J both helped to put niknaks in party bags ready for our house party.
    they loved the shopping experience yesterday. i sound like a.lax mum here but 3 months ago i would have had them holding hands and not allow them to meander. yesterday, we looked in 2 shops they wantrd to go in, 1 a new toy shop. The shopkeeper allowed them to play with a remote controlled car for about half an hour. we didnt buy anything though. next was a 'home store'. we bought a board game from there. the staff werent entirely happy to see the kids trying to use an exercise bike. oops.  saw a school mum in town. she asked he we.were, if the kids were happy but thays about it. think she was embarrassed to see us. oh well, her loss. thing is i know mierran, you told me i could do this, gave me the idea and showed approval of my family's decision, but i really do.feel this was/is the right thing to do. my kids especially middley, are happier and more relaxed. which makes me happier and more relaxed. i can see them flourishing. the questions they ask are relentless now! they aak about everything from brains to how dr octupus got his name and everything in between. the works have got a book for kids on the human body and im seriously considering buying it. ive had "how do we make poo" "why do we need to poo" "why are our legs where they are". the way the minds work and question leaves me breathless.
    i set my eldest up on the website i found for the kids. put him at yr 8, omg! he opened up numeracy and up came integer lines and prime numbers/composite numbers. he struggled, but got most right. for me it was like looking at a foreign language so im taking over his account and im going to learn numeracy. when home edders say you will start learning as well as the kids they werent far wrong!

Goldbunny, thank you for that kind comment, but i wouldnt really know where to start!

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #132 on: 20/11/14, 10:15 »
    Probably shouldnt mention this, but now school is a fairly distant memory. A is loving im a celebrity. ok, the  language is foul, but to be fair, he heres it an every day life (not from us i might add) but when we occassionally nip into pubs whilst on holiday and go in the beer garden, there are always groups if blokes around who (quite rightly) use colourful language. if i dont want my kids hearing it, i shouldnttake them into a generally male orientated area. but celeb is a glorified version of camping, or not so glorified with starvation being on the meni, but you know what i mean. as kids love camping, this is just an extension of that. they might even start appreciating my cooking!!!!! i doubt it :-)
    A is finding it really funny. he's feeling a little apprehensive about the food trial tonight, cant say i blame him, i cover my eyrs when thats on.
    he is really is enjoying it. i feel a topic may be just arpund the corner. maybe researching the history of celeb. i am not buying icelands bush tucker trial game - no way! although A has asked me to buy it. i cant cringe factor no 10!

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #133 on: 20/11/14, 10:20 »
    I aaked A in town to answer a question truthfully and please not get angry. he doesnt like being put on the spot. my question was " do you want to go back to achool?" without hesitation and calmly he said "no". i asked J then and he thought about it and said no.  later in subway, A then volunteered the information that 1 of the reasons he doesnt want to go back is all the other kids used to push him out of the way in queues (for work books or lunch) and then he would get into trouble for being too slow collecting work books or simply wouldnt have enough time to eat his dinner.
    school doesnt sound like a nice place to me.

Offline Arrows

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #134 on: 20/11/14, 10:50 »
    Just thinking with the gross I'm a Celebrity, have you tried watching Mini beasts on Cbeebies? It's probably a bit young for them but wondered if it might give some ideas. :)
    Also, for our local area, Reading, we have a book called Reading Detectives which does a number of scavenger hunt trails around the area looking for monuments/ things they may have walked past but not really noticed before. Maybe there is something similar for your area?

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #135 on: 20/11/14, 18:39 »
    hi arrows,
    they have watched minibeasts about 4 times on cbeebies and always said we want citv for horrid henry or mr bean. they dont find it interesting at all.  :( so what can i do. if i try forcing them to watch/do something they dont want to do, then i become as bad as school. im not about to do that.
    hopefully, we will be making chrimbo decs over the next couple of days, ready for dressing the tree at one of our meets. lets see how successful that will be with a 10 wk old puppy running around that loves biting chewing and ripping things up  ;D

we have played 'shopping list' bought from tescos, 'rocket game' and real monopoly today. we played a timed short version and i was amazed at how money literate A was. then of course he bought waterworks which is 3 x the numbers shown on the dice. yes, he needed help, but we got there in the end. also, had to pay him 50 instead of 40 for landing on leicester square and he worked out how much change he needed to give me.
    so lots of numeracy today  :)
    hes been on minecraft today, so numeracy, strategy and building skills all being exercised. J plays these games too with us but bores quickly so he ended up on the cbeebies games, which of course he loves.
    im not so worried about educating him full on yet as hes only 4 and should be learning through play more than anything.
    we'll get there  ;D

Offline bk2013

• Gold Member
    • "this is a long,painful journey"
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #136 on: 20/11/14, 20:06 »
    hey jsm4tth3ws

hope you don't mind me messaging.  i have been reading your posts over the past couple of weeks and just want to say what an inspiration your story is. although i am not a parent yet i do have nieces and nephews who are in school and who are not happy there but my siblings think that education can only be done via school.
    but your posts are proof the HE does work.
    i understand from your early posts that you had concerns about pulling A & J out of school but from your consequent posts it seems as though they are thriving in the HE setting.
    I admire your courage for taking the huge step to take them out of school and wish you and your family all the best for the future.
    Take care
    bec x

Offline Arrows

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #137 on: 20/11/14, 21:34 »
    Jd, I meant the minibeasts thing for ideas of searches your kids could do for bugs themselves and ways to help them identify them once caught -not for watching it.
    I teach low level maths to college students and it's proven that most people learn by doing and seeing the results for themselves, than having someone talk or just observing the tv, which is very detached.
    Probably the reason HE works so well for many active children!

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #138 on: 20/11/14, 22:50 »
    Hi,

great about the dark.

My two have things from rspb that have clear plastic tubs with lenses attached so you can look at what is in them. They love them.

we also have the osbourne book look inside your body I think, which is a good basic and you can expand on. We call things by proper names etc - I don't do the dumming down stuff. My two love the flaps.

I don't know if it is possible but you could see for xmas about a microscope and slides. Pretty cool and while they may still be a bit young...

hope xmas decorations go well. I was considering getting some stuff to make paper chains, but still on my to do list. 

As I've said before I'm glad it is going so well for you all and I absolutely think it was the right thing for you to do. I may have shone the light down the path, and I'm happy if my help has contributed but you are the one doing it.

very interesting what both a and j have said. And sad that that was part of the school experience esp the getting told off by teacher.

bec -unfortunately many people view school as the only option, rather than only one of many. It is really sad. Yes school works for some , but not for all. So my view is if it isn't working try something different.  Hope for your neices and nephews sake they look at other options.

I have dd complaining nursery is boring. They have been in most days as between work, hospital appts and me needing a couple of hours sleep pm on other days ie fridays...  No choice re tomorrow as I have hospital appts all day and that would be no fun for anyone but once I finish work I hope to maybe be fit enouh to do more with them. Just wish I wasn't so sore and tired but keep telling myself will all be worth it.( Sorry , don't mean to moan, and know how lucky I am. )

Have meeting at nursery next week , and dp going to speak to nursery when he collects them tomorro. Ds also says he is bored but whether he is just mimicking dd.  so will see what happens over the next week.
    Unfortunately dps overtime been slashed and looks unlikely to increase again so my plans of going back to work 2days a week may have to be shelved. Keep telling myself I don't need to worry about that for a while  esp as also depends on how my endo is doing. But a stress I could do without - esp as dp really down about it and I'm starting stat mat leave after few weeks ssp next month so worst pos timing financially.  :(

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #139 on: 21/11/14, 15:22 »
    Oh sorry Arrows i get what you mean now. i think were covering a lot of things with the games were playing and walks in woods. and interesting places.  we took pup and dog out with boys today and wr had a wondeful time playing in the woods as it was raining outside the woods. we found a little tiny red door fixed to a tree so we got the kids to knock on rhe fairy door and a little fairy (via dh) saud hello? can i help uou. kids were fascinated.
    rspb mierran have just rang me back and ive signed up to be a member so now we get free admission to their reserves and free parking. the kids have gifts coming their way and i have a handbook coming my way.
    sorry things are so rough for you. i wish i lived nearer and could give you the help you need and the support you have ahown me.  ^hugme^

becs, thanks. i dont feel that im doing anything special but its really kind and nice to hear people willing me on. i hope your nieces and nephewa find a way of becoming happier.
    a mum at old school was walking home today with loads of ahopping so i pulled up and offered her a lift home. she acceptrd and told me she though we wefe brilliant for what we are doing. he child is being bullies. at sxhool but as a single mum with a very young baby she dont think she could do this as much as she wants to. she has offered to bring her other child (A's friend) (older child being bullied by pupils and teachers) round to come play with A. A said yes immediately.
    i think were now just chilling. A and J watching you tibe on disneys infinity game, guess i know what they want for zmas. they spent an hoir watching how the game plau works last night.
    my books from.the book people arrived today. the story of nativity with stickers and pull out characters to make. mastering minecraft. the good fun winter guide and first cook book for 7 plus. christmas presents also came. the complete dr who encyclopedia for A and a 10set monster books, as in happy friendly monsters to try and dispel the nasty monster fears.
    now all i need to do is starting collecting buttons and we can start sorting numbers into groups to try to help A with multiplycation and J with adding and subtracting. create patterns with them and hopefully start equating that to number patterns.
    some more painys so we can start to mix the colours up and watch the chamges.
    and above all, get these tree decorations made for HE tree dressing. they will love that as (bad mummy) they are not allowed to dress the tree at home. my ocd kicks in and i cant bear the tree to look unsymmetrical. plus my tree is always ready dressed. i dont strip it down i simply fold it as is and shove it in its box till next time it comes out. BAD MUMMY!!! C wasnt allowed to dress the tree either except at mothwr and toddler groups, never at home.  sorry bit some things are not negotiable!!!
    they help dress the room though, just not the tree. thays my thing.
    off to strew the make up decs around the table, see if it sparks interest

when the pup gets off my tummy  ;D