* Author Topic: home education diary  (Read 56641 times)

0 Members

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
modify
home education diary
« Reply #140 on: 21/11/14, 15:34 »
Ooh mierran forgot to mention. when we were on holidays recently bought a load of dvds and a microscope from a charity shop. all that missing is 1 little light bulb that you can pick up from any hardware store for pence and we alao got a brand new build your own robot. J would love to build his own robot. thi.k micrscope and bitz and robot came to hust under a tenner. been stored for christmas niw :-)

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #141 on: 23/11/14, 09:04 »
    Surely A has researched independently disney or marvel infinity game to death now!!!! he is absolutley fixated on it. will be heartbroken if we dont manage to get it and the characters and the pad for christmas. he really wants it for his bday, but hes hoping!!!!
    J k.ows how to shut down the laptop properly now instead of just pressing and holding the button. he is getting better at the laptop than i am. he even knows how to bring a search engine up, unfortunately cannot spell what hes trying to search. time to find alphabets poster i think and ask him to start working on his english workbooks. our problem is hes the youngest, so he gets away with blue murder.  i ask him to take his playe out after dinner, he refuses, we have a little spat and A's voice pipes up, i'll do.it. i say no, its J's job, but A does it anyway to stop us moaning at each other. A has always picked up after J. so when J cant research he says A type in whatever, usually batman3, A will do it for him. so how to get him to start learning alphabet???? when he really doesnt need to as he has A to do it for him. hmmm
    we do sing alphabet songs in the car and such like. but obviously thats not not enough as he doesny recognise most of the shapes. he onows the letters of hus name, can write it. he knows some others, m and d sometimes t but not all of them yet. oh well, guess we'll get there, hes only 4

Offline Dramaqueen88

• If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to meet it!
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #142 on: 23/11/14, 09:47 »
    Jade I wouldn't panic too much about him not knowing his alphabet at his age, it's tricky for little ones and we wouldn't expect them to know it in school yet.

Could you try using magnetic letters? Or fun things like writing the letters in shaving foam, in sand etc, I'm sure there's also some games online that may be worth looking at? You could start slowly, only one letter at a time until he has it grasped, you could tell him that the letter has a name and a sound and slowly he will build up his knowledge, you will be surprised!

If you wish you can YouTube jollyphonic videos which demonstrate the sound of the letter in a fun way, in school they would learn the sound first but obviously you have to approach it your own way! X

Offline Dramaqueen88

modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #143 on: 23/11/14, 09:49 »
    Also just little things like pointing out what letters things begin with, what letters are in his and his brothers names?

It will build up slowly over time and it's good that older brother can help, he will get the sense that it's not frightening or hard because he can do it!

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #144 on: 23/11/14, 10:54 »
    Hi Drama Queen,

thank you. we have looked at jolly phonics and to be fair he wasnt really that interested, at that point. will slowly try to reintroduce again. sand and foam sounds good. A writes in the steam on the shower screen, i'll see if i can get J to join in.  J is more of a bubbles man :). makes santa claus beards and cups of tea?? out of bubbles :)
    as we both say hes only 4. plenty of time yet :)
    on congratulations on little pip :D J was due on 9/7 and came a day later. he is such a cheeky monkey and a joy, same as A
    A has had a lie in and got up in a good mood :D :D :D
    miracles DO happen ;)

Offline Dramaqueen88

modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #145 on: 23/11/14, 10:57 »
    Aw lovely, they sound like great kids, obviously home schooling is helping too!

Thank you! X

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #146 on: 23/11/14, 20:30 »
    How about eye spy in car?

We have the letters for the fridge.

also collages made in the shape of the letters made with pictures of things starting with the letter?

Writing names of pictures on cards and matching to pictures

But j is only 4 and a lot of kids aren't ready to ready till 7 or 8. So don't stress

x x

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #147 on: 25/11/14, 11:02 »
    thank mierran  :) and dramaqueen  :) really appreciate the support.

so again, they got the laptop off me yesterday and were watching minecraft how to's. A was quite impressed on learning you can build submarines and sit in them and you can build roller coasters  ;D
    J learnt through you tube Gallactica (marvel hero) can fly.
    absolute classic quote from J " i want to go and do my emails". i fell about laughing.

had a friend round yesterday - she wanted to see me as i had told her i was home edding. wow, to say shes not impressed was an understatement. i obviously told her what lead to this decision and her answer was "well all kids have to go through bullying at some point, how do you think they toughen up?". i so know what camp she's in! another comment "my god, i dont know how you do it, i couldnt have my kids at home all day, with no break, i cant wait to get them to school every morning"  then she told me how she struggles every morning with the battle to get them dressed, get them breakfasted, get them out for 8.15 to get to school for 8.45 am. said how she has to shout and scream at them and by the time she outside my house (paases mine to get to school) she is screaming at them with frustration! she said i bet you hear me yawping at them every morning. i smiled sweetly and said "no me and the kids are still asleep at 8.45, we dont normally wake up till about 9.-9.30 time. that didnt go down too well. she said is it legal, so i quoted the law at her. do you follow national curriculum, no as a home edder im not bound too. oh, so you only teach english and maths. no i facilitate anything theyre interested in. i dont teach in the formal sense. shouldnt you be doing english and maths. not if they dont want to-what is the point in pumping information in tha theyre not interested in. it doesnt produce good learning and it shut down their natural curiosity into the process.
    when are going to put them back in school. im not. what about gcses? what about them? there is no law in this land that states children must sit their gcses. however, if they want to they can study for and sit igcses which are the same things. also, at 14 they can go to college, if they want to on the 14-16 pass schemes. do you have to prove that youre educating them. no i dont have to prove anything, its the LA's job to prove im not. however i do have evidence books of what we've been doing. show her the evidence books. she notices the staffordshire hoard bumpf. ooh where was that. i told her and said yes we plan impromptu day trips, and that day was about fairly local history.
    my kids were on the laptop at that point and she said what they doing. researching minecraft moves. oh monging in front of the pc then. no i said. minecraft is being used in some schools now as a way of building numeracy, and structural engineering etc. she said mine are being taught to tell the time. her youngest is a year older than J. i said yeah? J has been telling the time independently for the last month or so. she said her middle daughter (same age as A, is just beginning to learn the o clocks and half past. i said A has already done that and is now learning 5 past, 10 past, 20 to, 10 to etc. response, mine cant do that yet. hmm.
    her youngest also cant say her c's they come out as t's, same as J. asked how shes dealing with it. school have put her in with speech therapy and when her daughter speaks to her she shouts "i cant understand you, talk properly" daughter gets frustrated and refuses to speak to her after that. she asked how you dealing with J. i said i listen very carefully and if i dont understand, i ask A to translate.incidentally J said come properly twice yesterday but then reverted to tome again. no matter, he will get there. C said amial for animal till he was 5. A said helicopcopcopcopcopter till he was 4.5. he just didnt know when to stop. i never stressed about these speech impediments and i want stress about J. i certainly never would scream at him i dont understand you, talk properly. she said im too soft. i said do your daughters ask you up to 200 questions a day. she said good god no, that would drive me insane. i said mine do, and i try my best to answer them every time. if not, google. i said and its not just when can i go on xbox, some can be how does our brain work. why do we have a skull. why doesnt the sky fall down. can we research bogeys. i said ok, so its not why does i go before e after c, but its all facilitating education.
    she went home soon after getting all that information and dropping in, cant you just put them in another school and i said yes i could, but why would i want to. were all a lot happier than we have ever been.
    i am expecting education welfare officer, LA or social services at my door now. suspicious, paranoid or realistic, you decide.
    the whole family including c spent the rest of the day playing board games. J recognised triple 5 in trionomos, played a good game and won!
    we palyed labyrinth, both boys are extremely good at visualising changing the maze for their benefit. we palyed alley cats, number recognition and moving correct number of squares.
    then back to minecraft research. the magnetism of laptop is too much for both kids at the moment ;D

today, we are making decorations for the home ed tree, which takes place tomorrow. so we will be makinf decs today. no arguements  ;D

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #148 on: 25/11/14, 11:04 »
    * wont stress about J
    * i before e except after c

Offline goldbunny

• Gold Member
    • Spot arrived safely!
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #149 on: 25/11/14, 15:46 »
    my jaw hit the floor @
    her answer was "well all kids have to go through bullying at some point, how do you think they toughen up?"

i'm just appalled! i mean, it's up to her whether she agrees with you home edding or not, fair enough, if she doesn't like it that's her call, but to suggest your child ought to be bullied.... !!!!  honestly if my child was being bullied i'd have them home so fast there'd be smoking tyre marks in the school car park...