* Author Topic: home education diary  (Read 57528 times)

0 Members

Offline goldbunny

• Gold Member
  • Spot arrived safely!
modify
home education diary
« Reply #170 on: 11/12/14, 11:07 »
if you are not familiar with mind-mapping and other diagramming techniques i thoroughly recommend you get familiar with them because they can help you in two ways

1) you can use them to connect up the dots and understand how to explain their learning process. at the moment the problem isn't what they learn or whether they are learning it but that you lack the techniques to make sense of it on paper, and ultimately that is required. by seeing how it connects together you will feel more confident, and other people will be able to understand it, you will be enabled to show them how the learning comes together and has meaning.

2) the children can learn to use them and will see for themselves how things connect up, it will help them reflect on their own learning and maybe help suggest new avenues for exploration.

here's an example http://www2.open.ac.uk/students/skillsforstudy/image-drawn-map.php

/links

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline goldbunny

• Gold Member
    • Spot arrived safely!
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #171 on: 11/12/14, 11:11 »
    btw that's not a 'good' example... the thing to remember is that it isn't about creating the perfect diagram but about what the diagram can represent. although good diagramming skills is a great asset. i seriously think if you spend half an hour less each day worrying about what the children are learning and half an hour more making sure you are learning skills about how to report on their learning and express it, you'll feel better and in turn so will they.
    Then next time someone says 'i don't see how this can work' or words to that effect you can grab a notebook and pen and sketch it for them, show them how it makes sense. There are loads of mind mapping programs online (did i say this stuff before? i feel deja vu...) google them...you can create digital ones as well as hand drawn although its quite good for the learning process to draw them by hand.

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #172 on: 12/12/14, 14:20 »
    Thanks Goldbunny. must remember to stop, breathe ...... and relax.  learn to trust. as so many home edders tell me, kids cant help but learn. everything they do is learning in some form or another. J went downstairs and set up laptop, you tube and lego marvel heroes on his own.  how did he manage to do that? i have no idea! :-). he'll onow how to work a pc better than me at this rate (not hard btw :-) ).
    just taken big,little pup and J for a long walk. J does his best chatting when out walking, so really lovely to take time out. he holds walt's lead perfectly now and is a really good dog walker. we now let Walt walk independently. dont take his lead off yet, but let it drag on the floor. J listens to instructions really well, and does everything i ask him to first time. a dog was coming closer so i asked him to pick up walts lead and hold him steady. step on the grass till the dog passed. he was very good. mitch was back on the lead and as the dog passed, bith mine started barking and pulling forwards. J did not let walt get too close to the strange dog. Well done J . we walked all over the park and up the canal and down a couple of long streets to get walt used to vehicle noises, mobility scooters, pushchairs, people. so got J checking roads as we crossed cul de sacs. so wondercul street safety in a real life situation. none of us unfazed.
    back home now and relaxing before taking eldest to drs.

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #173 on: 13/12/14, 10:44 »
    so theres 12 days till christmas. today is going to be a busy day. kids are busy making paper chains, then we will be putting xmas decorations up and then 5 minutes to put my tree up. already dressed, just boxed. see how long it lasts with walt around hahaha.
    christmas is coming ........ grinch mode nearly turned off ;-)

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #174 on: 18/12/14, 14:41 »
    Monday - study ladder and minecraft. this involves sharing the PC and teamwork, have noticed they are beginning to share quite easily.
    Tuesday study ladder, minecraft, nativity craft and countdown. J typed in his name and then mincraft without any of us knowing. he then called us to show us his work   ;D ;D
    Wednesday HE party and then afterwards went to a garden centre with another HE family. brilliant afternoon, they felt a little insecure at the party as it was so loud, but afterwards they really enjoyed themselves playing with the girls on the garden centre park. whilst at the party J asked to write Santa letter. i thought it would be scribbles, but no he asked me to help him spell batman 3 and Lego. he couldn't remember what m looked like so i told him like a n but with 2 humps  :) . did not hold his pen/hand and help him. just told him the shapes of the letters and let him do it. i didn't even know he could 'write' other than his name  :)
    Thursday- they have been on PC for minecraft and played some games on study ladder, now racing around playing let the pup chase us. also, had an informal biology lesson. A asked about the bag of water a baby is in when in mums belly. had to explain how the bag of water works. in the end he understood after an analogy of a balloon filled with water and then string attached. he didn't understand the umbilical cords purpose and how it attaches to my belly button. he got it with the balloon analogy. next question what happens to the bag when you've pushed the baby out. do you put the baby back in the bag. answer, think of when a balloon pops, can we reuse a popped balloon. no of course not. i said it exactly the same for the bag of water. when it pops, it is no longer needed or used to help the baby survive so no we don't put the baby back in the bag.questions of his birth, he now knows why i call him bullet occasionally  ;D i pushed him out in one  ;D he was so fast in his arrival that the midwife quickly untangled the cord from his neck and only just managed to catch him at the foot of the bed, i kid you not!  ;D we touched on my dead son and his death, all my kids birthweights, he then worked out who was first in terms of earliest time of arrival to the latest, then he would be first from biggest birth weight to smallest. he mentioned about my miscarriages and asked why do some babies die inside and how do they die inside. yes, this is painful, but i never shut him down, i simply answered his questions. thats all i can do
    Friday- will be another chilled out day,see where it will lead us trying to work out when i will be able to wrap Xmas presents  ;)

loving life in the main at the moment.

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #175 on: 20/12/14, 08:43 »
    Friday - started off chilling and during that time J painted a picture fof a train. was already printed on the mini canvas and he kept checking the picture on the box in reference to what colours went where. very good actually. a school mum and her daughter came round and gave them xmas presents. so the kids showed the daughter disney infinity videos on you tube. after they left, J opened his present and its amassive floor draughts game, so we taught the boys how to play. numeracy tick. they voth did addition battle together on study ladder and i found the draughts counters useful in helping J to add up. better than fingers. might invest in the works bag of buttons. . saw yday J can type lego into you tube without my help. he likes tutorials on lego marvel superheroes and batman 3 .
    A decided to ipen his xmas present and it was a notebook he can lick up ,4 pens and a biro. he has immediately written something but i dont know what as he has licked it up. so not exactly chilled day after all
    they probably learn a lot more than i see every day and that is the beauty of home ed. i dont see myself as an educator more a facilitator. if they want to learn about skydiving i found relevant info on the internet. or the library or even friends. i dont educate them as such at all. i simply extend my parenting skills. and seeing how relaxed the kids are most of the time. is enough for me.
    A is nearly at year 3 level on study ladder now
    J has moved on from identifying tge different shapes etc on pre reading skills to identifying the different letter in a set of 4. so we are moving forward, all the time.
    at this point i dont ever want to send them to school. i have a feeling they are outperforming their school friends without them performing. but i would say that - im their mum :-D
    all i know is it is the right thing for my family

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #176 on: 21/12/14, 23:05 »
    Hi,

glad all is going so well, and you have happy kids. Like you say you are not there to teach them. You are there to help them learn.

Well done for talking about your m/c. I know how difficult it is. My two know that mummy had a baby in her tummy who died before I had them, so they have a big brother or sister who is in heaven.  They also know that during my failed cycles the " little babies didn't work " that the drs put embryos into mummy's uterus but they never implanted.
    Their aunt also had a blighted ovum so they know her baby died .

This pregnancy I told them when I got a positive that there was a baby but we would need tl wait and see if the baby was going to be ok.

I know many people would disapprove of my openness but to do otherwise to me would be lying to my children and I don't do that. They don't even get all their presents from santa . Last year they were v confused when people kept asking them if santa had been good to them. As far as they were concerned the presents from santa were the couple from actual santa , not the big pile under the tree.  ;D

My two did get a present from the twins club santa. Ds got a spelling game and dd got a maths one. They were rather disappointed that he hadn't given them the tat many others got. But the one at nursery did better as mum had no say in it. So yet more generic my little pony type stuff and a tub of dinosaurs. I have a big box of dinosaurs to give each of them which I think they will be too old for by next year so it will be dino central. Hey ho.  ::)

I had what was supposed to be a meeting at the school they are supposed to be going to. It turned out to be a slide show on how it is getting refurbished and will be 2 years from jow at least before they move in.  So I need to email them to organise a meeting to speak about the long list of questions I have.
    Lets just say it definitely didn't sell the place to me. Problem is dp of course put it all down to me not wanting them to go to school anyway.  ^bigbad^
    So going to make sure meeting at a time he can come.

I hope all going well re xmas preperations. We're off to a youth theatre play tomorrow with friends and kids so looking forward to that. Quite reasonable esp compared to some. Only 20 for the 3  of us

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #177 on: 22/12/14, 12:57 »
    Thanks mierran,
    it was hard to talk about the mcs especially as A said how many is it now, its 8 isnt it mum. the last one cut them up as they saw the hrtbt on the scans as well. so had to explain again how sometimes the hearts do stop beating. we also talked about my cot death and had to explain how he went to sleep one night and didnt wake up the next day. they always include Michael as their brother and thats nice. even though they know he died in his sleep, they never worry it will happen to them. dont think theyve made the connection yet. i still dont sleep.well though. dont think i ever will. i still chrck my eldest even now and hes 18!
    last 2 nights they have asked to do study ladder on my phone at bedtime. J is now on a s and t . he now has upgraded to finding words starting with s, and words with a in the middle.
    A is now working through words ending in ck and ock. must buy some buttons to help J with numeracy. he understands addition when he can see it visually.
    christmas - still in grinch mode, bit i have bought the extra food and a few presents. i am done!
    hope you have a really lovely christmas.
    best wishes to all

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #178 on: 25/12/14, 22:53 »
    Big hugs hon.

I hope you had a nice day. My two woke up every hour or so last night so we spent today tired. They were probably the worst behaved ever - didn't like any presents and dd esp kept being really careless with things eg her dessert of xmas pudding ended up on floor 3x.

To cap it all the pair of them fell asleep on way back from my mum's while I was driving so are now hyper and awake, while I want sleep.

Happy boxing day everyone. ( as a bit late for happy xmas  ::)  )

X x

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #179 on: 26/12/14, 16:59 »
    Thanks mierran.
    sorry to hear twins were over excitable. hope you've got over xmas day.
    my two had a fairly late xmas eve. im following tradition that me and my eldest had. stay up till midnight and allow 1 present to be opened. In the boys cases a new dressing gown each. then off to bed. we settled down about 20 past and at 6.30 am A woke up and said is it morning yet? i said too early he said cant sleep and promptly fell asleep. i had been awake since 4.30. going through my not able to sleep phase again :-/
    xmas day was chaos and the kids enjoyed it. friends bringing more presents and sweets grrr. 5 tubs of sweets.
    i wrote on the xmas rememberence board and managed to paint the smile on all day, so not too bad a day.
    today is a quiet but stressful day. both kids are tired, and having mini meltdowns every half an hour or so. might just try to have an early night.
    apparentl my turkey was the best ive ever done. really moist and succulent. my tip for moist turkey. cover it in tin foil and forget about it for 2 hours. turn it once and leave foil on. 10 minutes before dishing up, remove foil just to brown it. done :-)

A proper melting down, better go
    till the new year ..............