* Author Topic: home education diary  (Read 57527 times)

0 Members

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
modify
home education diary
« Reply #190 on: 4/01/15, 11:58 »
Thanks mierran, but no, that moment has passed, thankfully. Many, many years before kids, i usex to celebrate New Year like everyone else and 1 year, in the pub alike everyone else, i got approached by a lad i knew vaguely. needless to say that didnt end pleasantly and i escaped the pub by the skin of my teeth as he was getting very close to forcing his attentions on me sexually. Now, i dont go out on New Years Eve, and the sooner its over with, the better i like it! course you cant tell a 7 yr old that.
so continuing our education program. kids are enjoying pirates of the carribean hahaha! and afyerwards A was very interestrd as to how compasses work. so we have started googling and found out there magnets and the earth has a magnetic field. the video we watched said it was always point to north, so we need to go deeper and find out how east and west come into the equation.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #191 on: 4/01/15, 22:04 »
    Hi,
    you need to look at the difference between true north and magnetic north , as they are not exactly the same. Bring in the pole star and astronomy too :-)

Shame new year been spoiled for you. Sadly there wre men who think just as you've had a drink you are available.

X x

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #192 on: 7/01/15, 14:17 »
    Will do :-)
    kids have enjoyed the pirates films. i like the whole anti hero thing. bit difficult to explain though, but fun.
    A sat a test through study ladder, got 29/30 so very pleased with that. J has advanced up to yr 1 in numeracy. literacy still reception level, we have a while to go yet. he started science yesterday, whatched a.short vidwo and answered 10/10 questions on it. was chemistry. mixing water and oil and what happens. how mixing soap with water and oil makes the oil bond. i eas really impressed. the good thing about study ladder is records everything they do and there are individual.reports and end of yr reports. there are tests the kids can do, to check thwy are progressing/have a spund understanding.
    they were getting rowdy yesterday so i got 2 sketch books 2 take away tubs, 2 smaller weaning tubs and 2 bowls. pens. i sat with them got myself a piece of paper and said right what do you rhink we can draw using these items. i drew a.car using all the items. J drew round the bowl (quite hard for him) and he made marks and a bit of colourin annoumced its mars. A also used the bowl and created the earth. different squiggly areas, coloured in blue green and yellow. so i think we shall slowly expand to papier mache and create the planets. but it has to be presented in a way thay isnt learni.g as A is soooo shut down to active learni.g right now.
    right better go, 2 dogs to get to the vets :-)

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #193 on: 10/01/15, 12:09 »
    so such a lot has gone on but not a lot in the same breath  ^idiot^
    the words J is coming out with takes my breath away, mostly down to minecraft. best part he knows what they mean. they now know how to dig for resources and between them can build a house using the correct materials. they know how to spawn wolves and dogs - do not ask me, i haven't a clue  ^idiot^
    A has started to think independently now and tries to solve his own problems. OK, game related but in the past it has been "dad how do i complete this level?" now its "i need the laptop, just need to find out how to complete this level". he finds the answers through you tube and then replicates it on the game. Job done!
    the fighting and quarreling has lessened somewhat. they tend to work together on the games now and not argue so much. altogether, they both look happier. J did say he wanted to go to school and during the conversation he dropped out because he wanted to go school sandwiches. so the lunchboxes have come back out at lunchtime and now he doesn't want to go back to school  ;D
    the only problem I'm finding is that the kids want to hibernate a lot. they are quite happy staying in day after day and it drives me nuts. however, i told them from Monday onwards we were going to a HE meet Thursday whether they liked it or not  ^bigbad^ every day i told them and when Thursday came cooperation from J was abysmal to the point i said he would go in his t-shirt and boxers and i would bag his clothes up. in the end, he got dressed. they actually had a fairly good time, although there is 1 boy, 9, (pulled out of school because he was being bullied) who makes a beeline for A every time. not in a nice way. the time before Thursday he was 'playing' a kicking game with A, who does everything he can to avoid him at all costs. he also tells him to stop in a loud voice, but this doesn't work either. the other boys mum has had quiet words with her son and that doesn't work either. Thursday he was throwing balls  in A's face all the time and tried to get J to go down a particularly big slide by holding his hands down and trying to push j down face first. i know at some point i am going to blow my stack at this lad. A as is ay tries to play away from him and this lad foists himself onto my kids. i have suggested we don't go to the ones we know he frequents but DH has put his foot down and said we are going and at worst will record this boys antics and then give the 'evidence' to his mother. we shall see
    I'm getting the feeling A has target indelibly printed on his forehead. he took enough of this rubbish at school, and i am not about to let it happen in education otherwise.
    A freestyle drew the earth the other day and J did mars. so we will be doing paper mache earth and expanding subtly over the next coming weeks. atm A is anti active learning and shies away from it. J is not so bad but does mimic A somewhat  ::)
    A and J's typing skills are coming on in leaps and bounds, shame J cant actually name but a few letters yet  ??? but no doubt we will get there  ;D
    kids are hassling me for the laptop so i had better go

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #194 on: 12/01/15, 16:08 »
    fairly quick post.
    today we have built a metal detector robot that we bought in a charity shop a month or so ago.both parents and children working together to build it.
    next we messed about with a microscope (another charity find) and then J wanted to bake cookies.
    so we have done physics, literacy (instruction reading) biology and kitchen chemistry which also involved numeracy. measuring ingredientz etc.
    I have booked their swimming lessons, pay on wednesday and have looked into guitar and piano lessons as they both received a musical instrument at xmas.
    now they are watching minecraft tutorials and we are researching eartg as A drew earth and J drew mars last week. have looked on twinkl for resources regarding earth and the alphabet for J. a friend will be ordering them for me.
    and its only monday!

Offline goldbunny

• Gold Member
    • Spot arrived safely!
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #195 on: 12/01/15, 16:42 »
    both parents and children working together to build it.

i think this bit is missing from your 'so we have done' list... i think teaching them teamwork and family cooperation is beyond important. *applause from the auditorium*

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #196 on: 12/01/15, 18:15 »
    thank you Goldbunny :-D
    we had areally good time actually :-D didnt feel like teaching, just good family time messing around.
    we have an electric oven so i allow J to turn it on. we checked what temp we needed and asked him where he thought 180 was. he was bang on!
    its not as if we planned these acrivities. i had been out all morning ferrying MIL to and from hospital and when i got back A said he wanted to build the robot. out came the table and chairs and we all just got down to it. which of course lead on to microscope and then J piped up i want to do the cookies. i had said lets make a paper mache earth, and they both vetoed that today and came up with alternatives. thats cool. think were an unschooling family with a lot of child led and a little structured. i dont plan anything and we dont have timetables. but its good. the working together, less arguements and fights tell me we are on the right track. amazing how relaxed A is compared to school days. if he loses his cool, he's very easy to reason with now, although J is trying to push boundaries at the moment. going to jinx it now, dont think A has really lost his cool for about a fortnight now :-D
    when he did, he calmed down in 5 mins flat instead of half an hour, he didnt throw objects and he didnt attack his dad. all in all, improvements all round.
    tomorrow im not expecting a lot as i have a busy schedule. mums dexa scan early in the morning in a neighbouring town, phone calls to make, eldest has a.drs appt, and finally, picking my friends dog up at 5 as she's being spayed tomorrow. i will be floating in and out all day :-/
    might see if kids want to build terrain for DH's role play game board. we have been researching ourselves rivers and how they were formed, mountains. DH has all the modelling materials so that might interest them. they've helped him with things like that before. if not, im sure they'll find somethi.g to amuse themselves with.
    i honestly dont know.how i found time for the school.runs :-) :-D

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #197 on: 14/01/15, 12:42 »
    J has started watching movies with the `subtitles on so I'm hoping that he will pick up reading this way. although he is still so young and he doesn't need to read at this point.
    A can now collect cobblestone to make more objects on minecraft. all he talks about is minecraft atm, and i have found numeracy charts multiplication etc done in minecraft format, so i have downloaded but waiting on cash flow problems to be eased before pinting off.
    i have a very rare day off from driving my mum around and wanted to take kids to an art gallery/museum close to us. this has been vetoed, they are definitely in hibernation mode-cant say i blame them  :) so i am going to relax and wait for them to come to me with ideas. i don't think it will be too much longer before A is properly deschooled, as a couple of times now he has said "I'm bored" bored is good, means they will be open to trying a little structure soon  ;)
    was hoping i would be able to meet up with my HE friend today but she not around on social media, so cant contact her. would have been  nice to go out somewhere with them.
    have emailled our local adventure farm, to see if i can get them to reduce their educational days fees if i could arrange a group of us attending. also, their annual membership is ridiculous. it says on opening page 45. reasonable yes? however, when you open that up it is 45 per person, not family. Ouch! so also batted off an email saying that conkers is 50 per family per year and if they reduced theirs down to 45-50 per family per year, i would be able to pass that information to other HE families and therefore at some point they would actually be in profit. yeah, we all the know the answer  :( but you definitely don't get, if you don't ask!
    anyhow, I'm off to chill and maybe start blowing a balloon up and making paper mache- see if that sparks an interest  :(

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #198 on: 15/01/15, 15:01 »
    so i did the paper mache for both  :( didn't take into account my kids don't like getting their hands sticky, gloopy, muddy etc. i am sure when i have mached it completely they will enjoy painting them. we cant decide between the earth or building faces atm.
    J is pushing boundaries atm, foul temper, lots of shouting and screaming, also thinking hes coming down with something as hes very hot and very rosy cheeks. he normally does have some colour but not like this. guess time will tell.
    Both have done studyladder today. A did music, learnt about the orchestra, 3 exercises in literacy and 3 exercises on telling the time. may look on twinkl to further expand this, as he's not getting half past is also 30 minutes past and through these exercises i can see where hes not getting it.
    J being younger gets bored quicker so hes done 1 french exercise counting to 10 in french, 1 literacy, and 1 numeracy at year 1 level.
    they have now got the moon sand out and both playing together, so better go

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #199 on: 17/01/15, 08:04 »
    got the kids to a ball park yesterday. eldest included! eldest distances himself from the younger ones quite a lot, so this was brilliant for bonding. we spent about 2 hrs there.  even i joined in briefly.
    we then walked round town and had a subway. went into the works and bought a prwtend laptop which helps with phonics and numbers for J. poyndland were doing an offer of spend 3 quid and get a leather ottoman for 8 quid, so i bought one. some storage :-)
    i cleaned eldests rat out and ran out of bedding. so got eldest to havr the kids while i nipped out. when i got back A was in eldest arms having a cuddle!!!! they have a really tense relatuinship so this was amazing. and A doesnt cuddle anyone lightly.
    all in all good day.