* Author Topic: home education diary  (Read 57529 times)

0 Members

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
modify
home education diary
« Reply #200 on: 17/01/15, 13:24 »
so no coercing as its Saturday  :)and both are working together on minecraft. lots of chat and teamwork going on while they're building house/castles and collecting resources.
J started playing with the pretend laptop i bought from the works for 7. it asks him to find letters/words/numbers etc. it also asks for simple addition and subtraction. he has done all this without any encouragement?persuasion from me.
i think this is the reason i don't bother planning anything, as learning is going on all the time, without them even realising  ;D
A's attitude is getting a lot better and i am finding it easier and easier to reason with him. He also makes the bed perfectly now  ;D, he helps me every night and he knows exactly how i like it, bless him.
J is just at that stage where he testing boundaries and throwing his weight around  :(. i told them before we went into game yesterday, we weren't buying anything as money is very tight. A accepted this easily, contented with looking at infinity characters. also mentioned i was going to put 1 a week per child away and in 12 weeks they will have enough money to buy a character, A was all good with that. J, however, threw a massive strop. So i said to A and DH and eldest, come on leave the shop. DH wouldn't leave J, we only went out of sight slightly. for a good 5 minutes DH fed the tantrum by being there. so after 5 mins i went back in and said DH leave the shop now. he came. it took J about 10 seconds to realise he hadn't got an audience any longer and 5 seconds he was out and with us, crying all the way. i just held his hand and we carried on with our window shopping. he throws wobblies over the slightest thing at the moment, but i think its an age and testing boundaries stage. if i remain calm and be consistent and don't give in to his demands, he will begin to 'toe the line' (for want of a better expression) shortly.
its just a phase
its just a phase  ^idiot^

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Arrows

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #201 on: 17/01/15, 14:09 »
    So frustrating when DH's undermine what we're trying to accomplish by giving attention for negative behaviour!
    Mine does that too! Unfortunately he was made redundant out of the blue 2 days ago and today is his birthday. I get the feeling [email protected] going to get really annoyed with him being underfoot very quickly!

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #202 on: 17/01/15, 14:53 »
    haha! i so know the feeling. he is my long term carer due to disability so were under each others feet 24/7, 52 wks of the year. we do muddle along quite nicely, just sometimes he's a little slow on the uptake  ;)
    sorry to hear you DH has lost his job, is he having a rest before looking for more work, just to recharge his batteries. hope he cant try to enjoy his birthday a little. and you can put in your mind hes an extension of DS and remain patient  ;) ;D

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #203 on: 20/01/15, 17:48 »
    Monday 19th.
    lots of Lego playing,fire engine built, a little study ladder, where i picked up measurements confuse A a little. an impromptu visit to Wickes where we looked around and was asked where the water was in the toilet.i answered his questions. we  enjoyed watching how a mechanism worked on a cupboard door that contained metal racks that moves from the back of the cupboard to the front and 2 that are attached to the door, swing round and out. i probably haven't described it very well, but we enjoyed doing it.
    lots of playing afterwards.
    Tuesday 20th.
    so we played Lego a little, minecraft tree built  :)then we found some wallpaper and drew around the children. found some straws and measured A then J and then we guessed the measurement difference between the two. A couldn't get this so we cut the last straw in half and then he got it. there is half a straw difference between the boys. i had said we were going to start drawing the organs and the first one was the brain. i left DH in charge while i nipped out. J got bored and played with Lego. however, when i got back A had drawn 5 separate pieces of the brain and coloured them in different colours. we then googled the brain and we labelled the different parts. i was amazed that he had remembered from googling weeks ago how many parts the brain contains. we then spent a while playing ks1 games on BBC bitesize.
    this body project could last for weeks. i am going to print some organs off and glue them to the body with brief explanations of what they do.1 half of the torso is going to be organs, the other will be bones and shading for veins and arteries 1 arm and leg bones, the other arm and leg veins and arteries, eventually the reproductive organs. i have an image of what its going to look like in my head, only hope it looks as good in real life!
    i have now started telling them no xbox till 4pm and this does seem to be having an effect. they are now actively looking around for things to do.

Offline Arrows

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #204 on: 20/01/15, 18:55 »
    Sounds like lots of fun!

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #205 on: 2/02/15, 12:39 »
    After last weeks trauma we hadn't done too much. but saying that they have been spending time everyday 'playing' on busythings.co.uk. maths and lieracy but in game format. J is given buttons to help him with adding and taking away games and he has been having lots of fun. He and A especially love plying miner chickens which incorporates adding and taking away.
    J got invited to a birthday party from one of his school buddies, so i got him to copy the child's name into the card and do his own. little bit of writing.  he has started to type words independently into the laptop so i know he can do it, hes just not ready to do it in pen form yet.
    A is spending a lot of time playing minecraft and watching minecraft tutorials. hopefully once we are over all our upsets we will get back to learning about our bodies.
    J painted part of his body picture today and with me spelling the word head, he managed to independently write it. OK its not legible really yet but i praised him for even trying and said how marvellous it was.
    he had his free taster keyboard session yesterday and quite enjoyed himself. today both kids have a swimming lesson, although i don't know how successful it will be as J looks quite ill today and is fast asleep. these days its unheard of for him to sleep in the day.
    guess we shall have to see how today goes

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #206 on: 2/02/15, 16:29 »
    Big hugs. X x

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #207 on: 2/02/15, 18:43 »
    swimming had its good moments and its godawful moments!
    god awful- A decided he didnt want to go but he has no choice as they are very expensive. its half an hour a week out of his life. tears and tantrums on the way there. J copying but not as badly. Got in, they both had a whale of a time but after half an hoir was up, they had to get out and werent allowed to swim on their own. Cue massive tantrums and tears from ........A! i got accused of forcing him to go (guilty) and accused of not putting my foot down with the teacher amd not letting him swim for longer GRRRRR!  ruddy child-i cant win ;-). he has announced hes not going next week. J coped, looked happy but extremely tired. hes not eaten much since he got home and he looks worn out. Early night tonight i think.
    i knew J was coming down with something though because he nearly chokes on his saliva when asleep when he s not well. he has done that for the last 2 nights. massively bunged up nose so karvol and socks on and karvel round his pillow and clothes.
    we were supposed to be at pizza express workshop tomorrow but i dont thibk we'll make it. J doesnt look too good and A isnt in a co-operative mood, so thi.k we'll stay in, have a duvet/film/popcorn day tomorrow.
    thanks mierran, you sound pike you need them as well. hope DD is starting to feel better and not very long at all now for you :-) eeek. bet you cant wait!
    xxxx

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #208 on: 3/02/15, 18:01 »
    who would have thought alphabet sweets could be educational  ;D
    J refused to name letters on alphabet poster but when i said you can have the sweets if you tell me what letters you know, and if not match them up to the poster, wasn't a problem for him  ;D
    J has traced letters in his work book and A has been working on words like play to played IE adding 'd' 'ed' 'ied' and erasing y. i have found J likes alphablocks. today he learnt about magic e that e can make an oo sound and can turn tim into time for example.
    lots of fun at the park, running and imagination games. i sat on a bench and didn't get involved. they were using the apparatus as space ships and they had a really good time.
    now back home after out and about all day and happily playing together on the xbox.
    they have both said the house is nicer and I'm a nicer mummy now that dad doesn't live here. neither have expressed an interest in seeing him. for now I'm happy to not bring up access.

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #209 on: 6/02/15, 18:09 »
    Wednesday - we managed to do 2 pages of literacy workbooks. I was surrided how many letters J does actually know. We have now moved onto first letters of words and he is getting it. A did 3 pages of literacy, reading and answering qurstions on 3 report s of the saw fictitious day and chnagig words fro past to present.
    We spent the afternoon at the park playing with our shadows and generally messing about.
    Thursday found us at a local ball park with a home meet up. A GE's a little agitated after 2 hrs n demands to come home. Spent tr rest of the day relaxing and playing games.
    Friday home end meet again. A was reluctant at first but with the help of Kerplunk he managed to come out of his shell. Another He family car back to ours for an hour afterwards. The rest of trday as been on the lap top and Xbox
    So the weekend to look forward to now.
    I was told by my friend she can't imagine how A coped at school as he's still not very confident socially. How did he cope indeed?