* Author Topic: home education diary  (Read 57518 times)

0 Members

Offline goldbunny

• Gold Member
  • Spot arrived safely!
modify
home education diary
« Reply #240 on: 6/03/15, 14:30 »
i have heard that chopped pieces of onion can remove paint smell
eg here http://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/5672/does-an-onion-completely-remove-fresh-paint-vocs-and-other-chemicals-emitted

might not work but if you are being bothered by the paint either while working near it or after it is brought into the house maybe a cut up onion could help.

/links

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline karenanna

• VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #241 on: 6/03/15, 19:23 »
    Jade

The James Dyson Foundation has lots of fun cards and activities - I think you can also order a Science Box.

Link here http://www.jamesdysonfoundation.co.uk

/links

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #242 on: 6/03/15, 19:43 »
    thanks goldbunny. it stayed sunny long enough to dry ithem out woo hoo.
    thank you karenanna, we are slowly working our way through the challenge cards :-)
    thanks both of you

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #243 on: 9/03/15, 13:27 »
    signed up to twinkl today. had J sorting pirate coins out in numerical order and A has half completed a KS1 test. he knows a lot of it, but struggles with time.
    guess there will be resources for time.telling on twinkl.
    tey spent most the morning doing exercises and games on busy things and starfall.
    very productive morning. a bit of relaxation, A is making films on his 2ds now and later swimming.
    mondays are all go

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #244 on: 9/03/15, 18:02 »
    discounted reading eggs set up yY :-)
    swimming was ish.A is getting very confident, J floats around in his own little bubble much to the frustration of the tutor!!! oops. he is confident except on his back he refuses point blank to do backstroke and every 3 mins its "J head looking at ceiling" J sit on the step, J stop floating off, J blow bubbles whilst on your front, J are you listening. i hear A's name mentioned once during a 30 min session, J about 20 times!!!
    but i will continue to take him every week as his confidence is building, even if J sees it as a laugh and i thi.k hes learning some skills....... but i cant be sure ;-)

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #245 on: 10/03/15, 14:08 »
    lots of reading eggs done by both bous today :-)
    now as the sun is shining were off to the park :-)

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #246 on: 11/03/15, 15:30 »
     :-[today we have been to the hospital opticans and J's eyes have got worse. but A has done past and present verbs thanks to twinkl and cutting and glueing rather than writing.
    J has made 2 mothers day cards for grandma and nanna.
    A has said he will make his tomorrow.
    A was happy to spend his pocket money on a disney infinity character today. so he is now broke but has something to show for his pocket money for a change.
    thinking he is learning budgeting and not instant gratification. now i need to learn that lesson :-D

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #247 on: 13/03/15, 16:08 »
    so thursday was reading eggs at the library and then the park. J helping with cooking and washing up. and basically then coming home and chilling and relaxing. lots of chat, cant believe how much they seem to learn mainly through chatting.
    Ahas done his mothers day cards for nanna and grandma today. i have found stage 3 phoneme letters that you print off and turn into a dice on twinkl today. we have phoneme such as igh oo ur ch ai qu zz oi etc. already made one up and had a mini game with A finding words from these letters. i may not look like we are learning, but i really do believe we are. just cant be measured.
    no meet ups this week, so quite lonely for the kids at times. good job they like each other most of the time.

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #248 on: 13/03/15, 18:17 »
    phenome dice made and glued. Had a game with J. was amazed he recognised as many letters as he did. and then for a word starting with sh - sugar. was a little challenging explaining although its sounds like sh at the start it actuLly is spelt su. hmmm. i really am enjoying twinkl resources.
    printed off a toy shop bingo game, just got to work out how to play it now.

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #249 on: 17/03/15, 13:27 »
    16/3/15
    kids got all our musical instruments oit and had a right good play with them. noisy as he'll but sooo worth it.  later we took the dogs fr a walk and enjoyed the frwsh crisp air. lots of learning to co-operate with each other on minecraft. some of things A builds now are brilliant. he built lord business the other week. he and J made 2 dogs have babies last night. J's dog was called banana crush hahahaha.
    swimming was ok. A can now swim on his back fairly confidently and J still has the power of distraction in his grasp. im sure the tutor has nightmares when she sees J approaching with a smile on his face!!!
    17/3/15
    A and i had a mooch round town to buy DIL necklace for her bday tomorrow. she will be 18. we have all baked her a chicolate cake (thank you google) and stuck butter cream icing and marshmallows on top. we had a mooch round poundland and found her a card each and candles for the cake. both boys have made painted pasta pictures and are currently playing with the train set upstairs. might get them to help prepare late lunch. they have washed up (after a fashion) for me. we buikt cardboard cubez as i think ive mentioned, so every so often kids will role these dice and tell me words with the correct letters in. oh yes, A got a.reciept for our parking ticket and saw the silent p in it. asked what other words we could think of with silent letters. i struggoed but came up with latch (dont sound the t) hatch, hitch etc. i am glad to see A is beginning to come to literacy. we covered syllables and compound words the other day. numeracy front we had a good game of working out how kany pennies to a pound. how many 2ps to a pound, etc, etc. and a week or so after that conversation A said there is a 100 pennies to a pound isnt there mum? to me today. so some is sticking.
    right must go and get the kids to bake another chocolate cake as it my BIL bday today . loads of chemistry, numeracy and literacy going on today !