* Author Topic: home education diary  (Read 56640 times)

0 Members

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
modify
Do i move my son from his current school, if i can?
« Reply #30 on: 26/09/14, 21:28 »
Give yourself time to settle in just now for a week or two. I would say you have enough to deal with atm without stressing yourself out. Take a couple of weeks then reasses. As you say see how half term goes but be open to the idea that your view may change over the next week or two and you may decide to go for it.

so glad a's problems have improved . It just shows it wasn't him it was the school which must be a relief in itself

caramac - is your dh pro home ed?  That's the problem I have - dp is very anti it and as I work 3 days a week and he finishes work at lunchtime it would need to be him looking after them 2 of those days and I don't finish till often after 9pm. And while my mum ( who does the other day) listens she feels guilty that I found school so damaging I don't want to send my kids and isn't prepared to look after them even for the 3 hours they are at nursery never mind when they should be at school. And esp as kids say they want to go I feel rather outnumbered. But if they don't enjoy......

karenanna - hope all good with your family. It's amazing  the resources out there, isn't it.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #31 on: 26/09/14, 23:03 »
    Mierran <3
    you are my voice of reason!!!
    i am really sorry that your dh is so anti. it makes it really hard. i am so grateful my dh is on board with this.  he isnt a socialbke person but he has been to the meets and i think he quite enjoyed it too. i hope in time you can get dh and kids on board. ^hugme^

it does show that it was the school, you are so right.. im loosely teaching him telling the time. he had a set time on the clock for coming off laptop. little hand on 10 big hand on 6, this means half past 10. he will get there . thinking of putting stickers round the clock with numbers on.
    it was great to hear from the others that him sitting back a little and scanning what others were doing is normal. I was told he was just processing everything. but he didnt look unhappy (like he has done) he looked relaxed. took 5 mins and joined his 'new friends' even tho he dont know their names :-)

mierran - what would i do without you

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #32 on: 27/09/14, 11:04 »
    You're welcome and glad I can help.

Big hugs x x

Offline caramac

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #33 on: 27/09/14, 12:58 »
    mierran - I am single (had my ds by IUI) so no DH to get on board! I'm also self employed and work from home so apart from the juggling of work around my ds it's not such a big deal. I used to use nursery a couple of afternoons a week, but recently gave that up as it was becoming more pre-school like and I wanted a king of "test run" to be sure I could still manage work with him home full time! Have you considered paid childcare for whilst you're working? I will consider using a childminder if it turns out I can't work enough with ds around. Also, surely you DH looks after them until 9pm when you're working now (after school)? It wouldn't be much different than that - if he didn't want to take an active role in the educating part there is no need. He could just supervise them whilst they're playing/having fun!

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #34 on: 27/09/14, 13:58 »
    I checked out a.groupon offer for lancashire (not my area but wth) and it said online maths tutor course 9 months subscription, usually 64 now 9. so ive bought it and now printing off worksheets. goes right through y1-y11.  happy bunny

Offline karenanna

• VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #35 on: 27/09/14, 19:22 »
    Jade - I can also recommend the BBC Bitesize site for Maths - here's a link to key stage 1 stuff - http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks1/maths/

/links

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #36 on: 28/09/14, 19:12 »
    Thanks karenanna,
    i will be looking at that :-)
    mierrien
    the books have arrived. i am loving free range education so much im starting to feel guilty that J will be in school missing all the fun at home! seriously considering writing a dereg letter for him and sending it in tomorrow.
    we have had a lovely day today. A slept in (late night) and i had time with J to finger write letters and numbers on his palm and him repeat them on mine. when A came down they shared the laptop with an hour limit explained on a traditional clock they could see. also involved quarters and past and to. i told them i was going to be busy cooking lunxh so any squabbles had to be sorted out between themselvez, without shouting or hitting. A did try to involve me once but i was firm sort it out yourselves without hitting. OMG they did!!!!! without hitting or shouting. thay doesnt happen in my house.
    in the afternnon - a friend, her dog, my dog, 2 boys and motorbikes (plastic ride on things) went down national trust park/woods and we spent 3 hours there.
    theres a rwplica opening of a mine shaft with an information board so we read that and then i told them in those days little boys not mmuch older than them were sent down to help the miners dig for coal for at least 10 hrs a day. i asked them if they could imagine getting up while its still dark, working in a really dark place all day and coming back up when it was night time. never seeing the sunlight. they were absolutely horrifed!!!
    i can do this!!! no writing or maths (written evidence) but lots of simple pleasures and info going in without trying :-)
    A wants to try and build a bike you can actually ride in reverse but made do with fastening Jessie (toy story) to the front of his bike with tie clips.
    i am so excited and happy. A is relaxed, which is paramount and the sulks are reducing to normal levels. J is reacting positively to the change in A.
    dh even started reading the everything home scholling book and he is hokked. i did mention im thinking of pulling J out asap and he said if thats what you want-do it, im with you. looking after 2 is no harder than 1
    what should i do ladies? type the letter up or send him to school tom. which if im honest, i really dont want to do.

Offline caramac

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #37 on: 28/09/14, 23:27 »
    Type the letter!!!! You can do this....you're already DOING this! It's no harder than parenting in general. You'll be fine and so will your boys :)

Offline LuckyE

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #38 on: 29/09/14, 00:22 »
    Hey Jade so happy that you're home schooling your boy. When I read what was going on I felt so much for the both of you. I would have done the same thing.

My niece is homeschooled. My brother pulled her out of the system when she didn't get into the primary school they wanted. She is now 10 years old and is one of the most intelligent and inquisitive children I know. She goes to chinese school once a week so has interraction. And since the last year she's been going to another class (a maths class I think) once a week, too. She wants to be a writer and reads voraciously. She is looking forward to going to secondary school at 11. I did worry about her not getting enough sport/exercise and playing around but she does that when she hooks up wiht her cousins. I do sometimes think she might not "get" other kids who aren't like her but what is amazing about her is that she knows who she is and likes herself. She has a solid foundation. She's fearless. How I would have liked to have been like that growing up!

I was really impressed with my brother. I thought it was a mistake (we all did) when he decided to homschool his child but it wasn't. He learnt as he went along. Now my sister sends her troublesome state school kids to him when she can't cope during the holidays and they flourish and learn under him.  They don't learn at school. 

So Jade, don't stress too much, enjoy it. You will learn as you go along. My brother got a copy of the syllabus of what they needed to cover each year. You will see that it isn't a lot there. He just did that and anythign more was a bonus. Of course she gobbled everything up and more!

Anyway, if I can, I am going to homeschool my kids because I have seen what can be done. Even the kids aren't naturally academic, I think homeschooling still meets their needs because of the attention you get and so the kids will never "slip through the gaps". 

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #39 on: 29/09/14, 09:06 »
    Thanks luckE,

i appreciate what you have wrotr. i am feeling a little more confident about it all, so much so youngest isnt at school either :-), but would you be able to tell me what website ur brother used to find the national syllabus please.
    i dont want to 'follow' it but would like to keep an eye on where my kids are iywim ;-)
    thanks everyone.
    freedom and a new world starts today !!!!