* Author Topic: home education diary  (Read 56627 times)

0 Members

Offline caramac

• Gold Member
modify
Do i move my son from his current school, if i can?
« Reply #40 on: 29/09/14, 09:48 »
Jade if you go to the social media groups I linked to before in the files section of those groups are links/info on the National Curriculum, exactly what you're after.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline karenanna

• VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #41 on: 29/09/14, 20:01 »
    Thanks luckE,

i appreciate what you have wrotr. i am feeling a little more confident about it all, so much so youngest isnt at school either :-), but would you be able to tell me what website ur brother used to find the national syllabus please.
    i dont want to 'follow' it but would like to keep an eye on where my kids are iywim ;-)
    thanks everyone.
    freedom and a new world starts today !!!!

National Curriculum is here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-curriculum-in-england-framework-for-key-stages-1-to-4

but as other have said, don't do this on your own - join some groups to get links mapped to the curriculum.

I work in a College, so if you ever need a hand with anything let me know ....

KA xxx

/links

Offline LuckyE

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #42 on: 29/09/14, 20:22 »
    Hey Jade. Glad you're getting everything you need. Am really excited for you. xx

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #43 on: 29/09/14, 23:25 »
    Jade - glad all going well and you' re all having fun. And glad the books are a hit. I thought they were great. :)

Carmac - sorry didn't see that in your signature.

Bit of an essay coming up  ;D
    It is difficult as dp is completely anti it without looking into it,  or reading any of the stuff I have given him. And atm the issue is dp and mum do childcare so would need to get someone in to cover nursery hours only iykwim, which dp is completely against, plus financial implications.

But that I could fight if all else were equal.  However my endo has really worsened over the last year and, despite first surgery in jan, and now pregnancy, I'm still struggling and on lots of drugs. So I don't know what the future will hold. I am also finding this pregnancy a lot tougher than the last.

my current plan is to apply for school but decide whether they go or not closer to the time ( live in scotland so is foot in door not application that counts legally). I will be Ún mat leave so gives me some time and space to decide.

I keep saying to kids would they not rather learn with mummy but as dp and mum both pro school they keep telling them how much fun school is so kids want to go. I have tried educating mum and dp but they don't want to know.

Much easier if it was just me...

so atm don't have energy to fight. And worry if I am going to need more surgery etc, and if my health continue to worsen ( which currently looks likely ) would have bigger implications if HE too

So, like I say, will decide next summer. But atm starting at school seems most likely, with me withdrawing them if there are any signs of any issues. Dp loves kids to bits and won't put them through school if they are miserable.  Problem is he honestly thinks it will be fun for them, and the best way to learn. And that I am putting my "issues" onto them.  ^bigbad^

I am considering building in contingency plans into childcare for no 3 ie someone looking after at my home rather than childminder, but lots of other factors are involved too as implications re tax relief on money for childcare. Means can look after all 3 if necessary  ;D. But looks like being much more complicated to set up as cannot afford to hire a proper nanny at £100 a day plus tax and ni - if I could even get one who just wanted to do 2 1/2 days a week.

Anyway, enough waffle. But lets just say it is another thing on the " reasons i hate endo "list

why is life never simple >:(

Hi to everyone else

Offline caramac

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #44 on: 30/09/14, 13:57 »
    mierran - so sorry to hear about your endo. I've not experienced it myself so can only imagine how hard it must be living with pain :( Because I don't know much about endo I'm not sure what the impact is/could be on your daily life, but one thing to consider in the school vs HE discussion is that HE would remove the stress of getting the kids out of the door on time every day and the end of the day school run too. HE can work around you feeling unwell/pain as you can perhaps plan some activities in advance and have them to hand to pull out on days when you just feel like curling up on the sofa.

Certainly with little ones the focus should be on play mostly and there is no need to worry about meeting any targets for reading/maths other than what the children want to do themselves. I love the idea of just continuing family life at home for a few more years, when they would have normally been in school. Learning through play and integration in every day life.

How does the endo effect you on a day to day basis? Can you cope with the kids by yourself or would you possibly need help? Sorry, as I said I've no idea what the impact of endo is :(

Is your DH open to reading books on HE experiences or watching videos online? Or perhaps even coming along to a local HE group to meet up with other parents who are HEing? I think sometimes until you see it in practice it feels a little bit hard to fully grasp how it can work successfully, and I know from reading numerous posts on the HE boards on social media that often partners/grandparents need convincing unless there is an obvious reason (i.e. bullying/child very much not coping in school).

My thoughts are that there is nothing to be risked by trying HE first rather than school. School will always be there. You can say you're giving it a one year trial, or until they are 7, for example. Particularly in that first year all they are generally doing academically is learning letter sounds and numbers 1-20, which more than likely they will pick up at home with you without much prompting!

I feel your annoyance about others like your dp and mum "selling" school to the kids. I hate that, particularly around this time of year, everything is geared up to getting the kids excited about starting school...with shows on TV, books, etc all making it out to be this amazingly fun place. I'm sure that for most in reception year it probably is, but they don't really show the true reality of what is to come do they?!! My own SIL has already told me not to mention HE in front of my nephew who started school this month. Not that I would anyway (it would be like rubbing his face in it!) but then she doesn't stop herself from bigging up my nephew's school experiences in front of my son! So far ds knows he won't be going to school because mummy works from home and so doesn't need to send him there, so he'll be learning at home with me instead. He doesn't seem bothered either way really! I do wonder though if this will change next summer when the "school is great" campaign starts back up again and some of his peers will start. I intend to make sure we're fully integrated into the local HE scene by then though, so he knows just as many who aren't going back to school too!

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #45 on: 30/09/14, 23:28 »
    Mierrian,
    your health situations sounds awful, so sorry. i wish they was something i could do to help.

caramac definitely no harm done trying HE first. wish i whad known about it, wouldnt have bothered sending them in the first place.

so a friend on another forum (shes a headteacher) said all schools have to release their curriculum on their website. so i checked it out.
    recption kids are taught to count to 20! flipping nora. J was counting to 20 a yr ago fluently. now he stumbles on 15. says 14,16,17 etc. they are teaching reception kids to make marks on the paper and towards the spring term teaching letter structure.
    year 2 literacy. will be studying for a term the story of the 3 little pigs. i kid you not!
    these are highlights.
    topics to be covered. "how important it is to belong to a religion and what impact this has on your life" geography looking at our home and other buildings in our locality. am i thick - i dont get that connection.
    history - looking at a victorian building and hiw they lived and make comparisons from them to now.
    science original materials and hiw they turn into items that are useful. thats ones got me stumped as well.
    phse- how amazing they are and what strengths and weaknesses does the child feel they have in relation to learning.
    numeracy - learning to tell the time but only up to quarter past???
    simple division amd simple fractions.
    oh science again - name a few garden plants and simple life cycles of minor animals?
    literacy- still sounding phonically. Term checks of handwriting.
    so on A's score its strip right back to shaping letters correctly, i have already bought a traditional clock and just got to get some blank stickers to put round it for quarter past, half past, guarter to and o clock. the others as well of course. i use it to limit pc time.
    J will be easier as he is literally a blank page. although a day dreamer and he only manges a page a day before his attention span of a gnat is distracted :-D bless him!
    i can see A really thinking about his letter placement and shaping. when i first watched him he started all his letters from the bottom and now he is thinking about and doing most of the time, starting the letters from the correct starting position.
    he does the number 2 from the bottom up as well. will be sorting that out too shortly.
    but you know a whole term studying the 3 little pigs in year 2, im flabbergasted to be honest.  i mean seriously???
    i am wrong in finding that unbelievable. we were reading those stories when he was 3 for christ sakes. dont get me wrong i didnt expect him to be doing tolstoys war and peace, but come on 3 little pigs.
    And then they wonder why some kids are leaving school at 16 , illiterate and can barely write.
    no, this is the way to go for us, i think.

Offline karenanna

• VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #46 on: 1/10/14, 20:02 »
    science original materials and hiw they turn into items that are useful. thats ones got me stumped as well.

My Dad made glass with us at home when I was little. He made a kiln by digging a hole and lining it, then heating it really hot and filling with sand. When the temperature gets high enough it makes glass. Sorry for the very basic explanation.

Not advocating you make glass but how about looking at all the objects that area made from wood in your house or clothes that are made from natural materials like wool etc...

I remember doing a great project where I collected my own wool, carded it (technical brushing term in wool making), cleaned it, dyed it and spun it. I then knitted something.

Not sure if this helps  ^idiot^ ^idiot^

KA xxx

Offline karenanna

• VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #47 on: 1/10/14, 20:03 »
    PS Nice links here for Science and natural materials http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6074040

/links

Offline karenanna

• VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #48 on: 1/10/14, 20:07 »
    PPS Some 3 little pigs links so you get an idea for expanding the topic http://www.earlylearninghq.org.uk/stories/three-little-pigs/

I guess if it was me - I'd do more than just reading the story - I'd do some creative writing, some art and craft, talk about fairy stories, do some role play etc....

/links

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #49 on: 2/10/14, 09:19 »
    Thank you karenanna for those links i have had a look at them and they do look useful.
    yday they spent a lot of time playing independently, together, squabbling lol.
    A did 2 hrs of maths games on pc and J watched and interacted a lot of the time with A.  subconcious learni.g me thinks.
    bedtime was better than usual. A is normally up/down/up/down all night till i go to bed. however he had had a freeplay ban on the pc yday, because of major unsettled behaviour and tantrums the previous night. J fell asleep at 5.30 pm (had his tea thankfully) and slept through till 7 am. he must have needed it. A went to bed at 9 pm (usually 7 pm) and woke at 8 am. He's now getting his breakfast.
    plans for today, shopping with mother. and collecting leaves for the group meeting tomorrow. we are also meeting an entrust officer from LA in the local library tomorrow. she sounds very nice on the phone but the group have said to cancel her. dont trust her. dh and i feel we should give her a.chance, see if she has anything to offer us guidance wise or whether its a subtle exercise at getting the boys back into school. not happening by the way. not yet awhile at least. will review where we are in 3 months time. i told her about A's writing being illegible and forming letters incorrectly (she says shes pro HE), we'll see and she said the best thing to do would be to strip him back to the very beginning and start again. carefully.
    she isnt expecting/asking for an ed phil, she said that will come in time. i said good as i havent got one as yet. still working out which way is best for him. and J. J is a dreamer, not too keen on doing workbooks, might just leave him to play for a bit.
    right suppose i better get up and get my breakfast. love this, no real deadlines to get up for. pressure is off :-)