* Author Topic: home education diary  (Read 56639 times)

0 Members

Offline Arrows

• Gold Member
modify
Do i move my son from his current school, if i can?
« Reply #60 on: 11/10/14, 21:06 »
Was doing some christmas shopping and reading this blog, thought of your eldest!
http://www.tesco.com/direct/cheatwell-plop-trumps/215-0998.prd

Poo-based top trumps!!! Factual information about different animals poo to play top trumps with. :) I'm getting it for my fact obsessed Godson!

/links

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #61 on: 11/10/14, 22:11 »
    Arrows
    Hahahaha thank you so much. its his birthday soon and he already loves superheros top trump cards. since i will be in trscos tomorrow, i might just add that to my list.

thank you for the heads up :-)

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #63 on: 12/10/14, 21:20 »
    Thanks merrien,
    had a loom at that link, think i might be checking ebay out lol.
    bing bong.
    thankfully, from my perspective he got discharged.  i view myself and my family as a closed book (apart fron on here ) . and since home educating his meltdowns are mini in comparison to what they were. they are at a level that are manageable. i was actually grinning yesterday when he threw himself down on the ground in public and SULKED! he hasnt had the confidence to do this kind of thing in pu lic for about 9 months or so. it looks like hes coming back to life! so i mY have got the slitted eyez from other parents, but to me it was brilliant. as he is growing in confidence enough to do this in public, his meltdowns at home are lessening. hes not punching dh in the balls so often. hes not trying to stamp on J's head (yes really) and hes not trying to boot our little boston terrier into the middle of next week. hes nit trying to stand on the cats back when hes lying down. all because he knows this will guarantee attention (ok bad attention) but attention. he gets loads by the way good and bad. but the fact that he can kick off and sulk in public is a major step forward as he doesnt feel the need to explode at home.
    i know the man was trying to gauge us in order to help us, but i dont feel we need any help now. when we needed the help i was told there was at least a 5 wk waiting list (if not longer) in that time, mierrien opened my eyes to HE and we havent looked back! he goes from strength to strength and so do we as a family.  so for me, it was a case of too little, too late.
    thats not to disparage how you feel about camhs. if they have helped you and your family that is fantastic news and i am really happy that it worked for you, but its definitely not for me
    I am sorry if i have offended you in any way bingbong, wasnt my intention just saying how i see it.
    so today, we have played a few board games. the alley cats. my dad bought that for me when i was about 7 so its a very very old game. A usually is the winner at any game he puts his mind to, but J won twice at this game. A was not impressed! then we played yahtzee. my grand dad taught me that game. absolutely love it. didnt win though. then 2 games of scrabble afyer lunch, A did the scoring, disnt want to play the actual game. J watched peter rabbit and horrid henry. next came monopoly. 2 boys rolling the dice and moving the pieces. A did try to be banker, but got confused quickly.
    finally 1 bible story, 1 story book called its a.book (quite funny) and baby alexander from the peppa pig series. J now asleep and A trying to sleep but finding it difficult as C is being so loud.
    tomorrow is a.day in as the car is going back to have its mot finished. they realised a fortnight after mot that my brake pads are thin (whatever that means) so im without a.car tomorrow :-(
    drs for me tomorrow night, drs for A tuesday and C , cryotherapy, ouch!
    the dog at the vets wed. local home ed meet thurs, home ed meet friday. im seriously wondering where kids had time to go.to school :-)
    so all good fun.
    in between all that, we might collect leaves and paint the veins, or twigs and make a.tree for the wall, so we can do the changing of the seasons. if the kids want to of course.
    trying to keep house tidy hahaha, just in case social workers.decide to check us out. trying to remember i have nithing to hide (instead of ripping house apart looming for my passport which has mysteriously disappeared again).
    so my ed phil is completely child led now. and A is nit writing a great deal atm but he is doing sums (scrabble) so its not all bad.
    just got to remind myself were doing great. were 4 weeks in and he is sulking in public. confidence is growing.
    J is fine. a sociable little chap who is learni.g a great deal from A. so i think when he does start writing hes going to be ace. please god!
    love to all, you keep me sane at times
    xxxxx

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #64 on: 13/10/14, 15:49 »
    The james dyson foundation challenge cards have arrived today :-). 55 experiments using household goods from making a spaghetti bridge to periscope making and invisible ink. best of all they were free!!! cant wait.
    we have built robots out of cardboard. click aeroplanes. played shut the box. hello jack and A decided to do 9 worksheets from 10ticks, without being asked. woohoo.
    J learning numbers with dice, cards and shut the box. lots of maths games played in the last 2 days.
    chilling now in front of scooby doo.
    im done in lol.

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #65 on: 15/10/14, 20:44 »
    Good HE day yesterday, bad lecture from gp for 20 mins.
    was quite upset as we had a breakthrough yday. been worried about geography but as we'd bought a massive wall map and got the old globe down from the attic, we were researching the old namea of countries and their new names. researxhing flags for different countries and then on the globe A spotted chris columbus and james cook, so we threw a little history in too. all day we had 'lessons' flow smoothly from 1 subject to the other. numeracy, literacy, role playing. J sorting 6,5,4,3's etc into the corrwct groups. i had 15 dice to do this. then appt with gp to let him know A had been discharges from camhs. short story he doesnt agree with me HEing. i will stunt his potential to be a high flyer and emotionally damage him as he wont be able to deal with bullying in the workplace.then he says he does realise a great number of HE adukts have gone to university and pass their subjects with excellence. what a nob!
    today has been a good day. meet up then a walk in the woods. discussed protecting wildlife and why we need to. course this is my opinion. man building to many buildings and destroying the natural habitats. suppose i could ve so wrong thats what worries me.
    got home. J did peppa pig workbook with help. we baked peppa pig hedgehog bread from scratch and now getting ready to put them to bed. while in the woods theres we what we call a devil slide. very steep uphill area with trees growing upwards. A and dh managed to get to the top. it was no mean feat. J got halfway up and then became terrified as he couldnt move further upwards but equally was terrified to come back down. dh rescued him :-)
    lovely day today, but a little worried that gp will involve social services as he seriously isnt impressed with HE.
    he even told me school is the best place to experience bullying so then he can learn hiw to deal with it.
    YEAH , cos that approach was really working!!!!!!

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #66 on: 16/10/14, 00:09 »
    Omg. Glad I don't have your gp!

Don't worry about him. You are doing everything legally and correctly. Your local authority knows you are HE, you are keeping notes and pictures of wbat you do, and you are doing plenty. Your children are thriving.  So what if he contacts social services.  Ignore him, and consider whether you wish to keep him as gp.

The evidence is that children who are HE are academically advantaged, not disadvantaged.

Glad you are all having fun, as well as learning lots..

I had an interesting discussion with dd tonight. I've just got out of hospital after vomiting +++ sun /mon so admitted for fluids mon pm ( prob viral infection on top of pregnancy nausea and fentanyl side effects ) and just got out tonight. Kids been at mums, and I suspect maybe school discussions.  Anyway, dd asked what school she would be going to. So I told her the truth - daddy and grandma want her to go to school and it would probably be the local one ( having probs on line confirming catchment areas ). However mummy is not so sure it is the best idea so we would wait and see how things go next summer and decide then.  I told her I needed her to think lots about what she wanted, was that ok. I got a big hug  :)

I have a game of flag dominoes. Would be easy to print out and make own version of. Flag one end and picture of  major building of a country at the other eg eiffel tower for france, big ben uk, taj mahal for india. You match flag with building. Nice twist on regular dominos.

I'm just thinking - I bet you could do a poo version where you have to link picture of animal one end with a picture of that animals poo the other    ;D even better you could eg go to petting zoo and take your own poo pictures  ^roflmao^

Sorry, maybe just my sense of humour.

anyway, on more serious note, don't forget that you are under no obligation to allow anyone into your house and the general advise is meet in a neutral setting until/ unless you know and trust that individual.  Y
    I know so far your experiences of local authority he people have been positive but unfortunately not all of them are so balanced in their view and I have heard of some who share your gps opinions.

Anyway, big hugs and glad all going so well  :)

Offline Arrows

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #67 on: 16/10/14, 08:19 »
    Just one quick thing in case it hasn't occurred before - we don't let LO watch certain programmes on TV because of a number of reasons but wondered if it was something you wanted to think about.
    Peppa Pig -she is constantly rude and belittles her dad a lot. She never gets told off and there are never consequences to her behaviour.
    Topsy and Time -watched two episodes and in both the children deliberately disobeyed their parents and has no consequences at all, the parents laughed instead. Things like the dad wanted to decorate a room as a surprise for the mum who was away. Their father said directly to them that he didn't need a handyman they'd wallpaper a room themselves. They then used the telephone when told not to and disobeying him, called the handyman, he turned up and the dad invited him in and just laughed at them being naughty.
    We also don't allow Waybaloo (yoga and crystals) because we don't believe in them or In the midnight garden cause quite frankly it's really annoying!

Maybe I'm really strict but I think that children need to be taught consequences to their behaviour. I also think respect is an important part of raising kids -not necessarily blind obedience  (I'm not suggesting parents are always right) but it really goads me the way some kids get away with everything and are constantly rude and disobedient! When my son (almost 3) doesn't do as he's told, I give him to the count of three with a clear consequence. I.e. if he doesn't come over to get changed ready for bed he won't get a bedtime story as there won't be time 1.(he gets incredibly overtired and needs at least 12hrs a night and sometimes naps too). If you don't come and get changed there won't be a bedtime story 2. XXXX you're going to be very sad if you don't get a bedtime story and Daddy was looking forward to reading you Gruffalo. If you don't get here by the count of three you won't get a bedtime story.... 3! I always stick to what I say -he won't get a story and that is that. He understands that when I say something I mean it. Of course I'm incredibly careful about not making threats I won't carry out. I won't say on arriving at soft play for a pre-planned visit with friends that we'll go home cause that just isn't going to happen but I have made him stay sat with me for 2mins (1 per year of age) on arrival rather than let him go play after repeatedly hitting me.

What do you think? How do you handle things? Genuinely interested.

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #68 on: 16/10/14, 18:59 »
    Hi merrien,
    Sorry to hear youve been so poorly. i hope you are getting better.
    im kind of trying to rein my paranoia in as a little snippet i have remembered.  'its not my place to PROVE i AM educating, but it is their place to PROVE im NOT'.
    however, i can prove im educating my children and even without my evidence the proof is in A' s behaviour. he is happy and relaxed most of the time. 6 wks ago he wouldnt have dreamt of approaching a child the same age as him that he didnt know. today at HE meet, he approached a girl not with us and in 5 mins they were playing and working out how to get J on the zipwire together. they worked out 1 pulls the zipwire seat down and holds it and the other picks J up.  his relationship with J is improving all the time. they still squabble, but are learning to work together more. his sulks and tantrums dont last as long and theyre not violent most of the time now. i am actually seeing the child he was before school!  we are loving it as a family.
    Arrows.
    peppa pig. sometimes i found it explains things easier than i could. when we went to spain, they were. quite nervous about going on a plane, but thanks to peppa pig episodes they saw it as an adventure, quite exciting and most importantly not frightening.
    discipline wise. i use praise, rewards and time out, but not on the stairs or in their bedroom. i have 2 living rooms with double doors so i use the room we dont use, keep the doors open so they can still see us and make it 6 mins for one and 4 for the other. they do have the 1,2,2.5 & 3 warning. they know im getting really serious when they hear 2 and a half (my tone changes) and thats normally enough to either bring them back or stop what theyre doing. when they've come off time out i dont make them apologise as i dont feel its necessary, simply for the fact they know they have done whatever wrong and i just want the episode done with. they dont normally go straight back to whatever they were doing.  these days i can reason with both boys, before using 'my authority' on them. i try to respect their views as i want mine respected. my mum used to scream at me in a row "why dont you respect me?" and i used to scream back "because you dont respect me and respect is a 2 way street. to get respect, you have to earn it" maybe i was wrong in that thinking, but That's how i felt and still feel. how can i expect my 18,6,&4 yr old to respect my feelings and rules, if i dont respect theirs.
    if i decide to 'mark' their work and they dont want me to, that is defacing their property. so then i have no right to pull them up if they decide to draw on my bank statements or an important letter ive wrote.
    I respected A (eventually with mierriens help, you will never know how grateful i am) feelings when he said he hated school and did something about it. i can honestly say, it was the best decision ever! i am reaping the rewards and he has started to respect me in as much that he doesnt tell me im wrong when.i answer a question differently to how his teacher answered. he respects me by leaving a park without kicking off with hardly any warning were leaving. he smiles every day - he has remembered hes allowed to smile. in weird world of jade that is respect.  his confidence is increasing every day and that is the best achievement so far. dont get me wrong, im not miss perfect parent 20014, i have off days too, but i try to remember 'do as youre done by' would i like to be ordered around or would i prefer to be asked and have the option to refuse. so if i want to be asked, rather than be ordered, why wouldnt my kids want that option. obviously, if what they were doing would put them in danger then yes i do use my authority and demand they stop NOW, but most of the time, its a request, with possible consequences if they refuse. if you get me.
    or maybe im just completely mad hahahahaha
    :-D

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #69 on: 16/10/14, 19:09 »
    *2014 hahahahaha