* Author Topic: home education diary  (Read 56625 times)

0 Members

Offline Arrows

• Gold Member
modify
Do i move my son from his current school, if i can?
« Reply #70 on: 16/10/14, 21:06 »
Thanks for the response -it's great to hear other ways of doing things! :-)
I'mgetting lots of ideas for things to do with my LO when he's a bit bigger from this blog!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #71 on: 16/10/14, 23:24 »
    Hi,

I was thinking maybe we could all put down resources etc we come across . Eg jade - you said some cards had arrived, were great , and best of all free. Interrested, even if too old for mine now....

I watched a film today with kids that was quite interesting.  It was about the solar system and ecology. No talking in it but good music. Was free on love film. Called "Egon and Donci ". Good for starting a discussion,  tho a bit old for my two, prob good for yours jade.

there is also a book called "come home moon" by nick warren on kindle.  my two love it and they have learned about our solar system from it. Suitable for 2years plus, I'd say

I would also advise look at Osborne books " see inside your body" flap book. I'm medical and I find it a good basic book to introduce the body, and you can use it to talk further round things.

Arrow - re peppa etc I let them watch but we discuss . Eg daddy pig keeps putting chocolate cake into trolley and we say it is an occasional treat. We laugh how silly daddy pig is, and when peppa is naughty we say " that is not acceptable behaviour ".
    I will keep my eye on topsy and tim  ;D

re discipline I use a version of supernanny. They are told
    1 don't do x ( preferably with a bit of an explanation as to why, even if it is just that it is giving mummy a headache ). If they still do it...
    2 don't do x or y will happen eg naughty step. If they still do it
    3 the promised punishment will happen

I never say they won't get their story. My threat is to loose the right to PICK their story.

Naughty step they get usually far less than 4 mins as they don't need it. I go over to them and tell them to stand up. I sit on the steps and either say to them " you know why you were told to come here. Can you tell mummy ". Once they have told me i repeat what they have said and say " that was not acceptable behavior"
    , if they are eg upset, I say " Mummy told you to come here because I asked you to do x and you didn't do it. That is not acceptable behaviour. ". I never tell them they are naughty.
    i then ask for an apology if needed , or if eg for hitting sibling i make them go and apologise to the people affected. They then come back and I give them a big cuddle and tell them I still love them , I will always love them, but that was not acceptable behaviour. Please don't do it again.. Then we get on with whatever we were doing as if nothing has happened.

I also try and live by " do as you would be done to " I listen to what they are saying. If they interrupt when I am sleaking to someone else I say " mummy is talking to x just now. Can you tell me in a minute once I have finished please ". I then finish what I was saying ( or listen to what the other person was saying ) then turn to child and give them a cuddle and say " thankyou for waiting. Now can you tell me what you were wanting to say"

Like you jade, I'm not perfect nor are my kids. But we try our best. There are times I am tired and sore and snappy and get it wrong, and days when we all rub each other up the wrong way.   :(  you know how it is.  :-\

jade - I'm glad I made such a positive change  in your families lives. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to think I made a difference.   :)
    But you are the one who was open to the idea, thought about it then went with it. It is just brilliant that things are working out so well for you all.

X x

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #72 on: 16/10/14, 23:35 »
    Hi Arrows,
    im glad youre picking up little nuggets. althoigh i dont see anything that i do as special or anything.
    i.just take every day as it comes and hope for the best :-). i think we all do.
    im still learni.g parenting even now. i just try different ways and see which works for us. thats all you can do.
    ive just realised, the kids havent made their nightly trips down after bedtime with silly reasons. 'i need a drink' 'im hungry' 'the window is scaring me' (dont go there) 'my blankets not right' blah blah blah.
    my god, i do believe theyre settling and happy again
    :-D
    so my dad rang and he and his wife are against HE. the disapproval could be hear down the phoneline. hiw very dare they? they wouldnt even hold A when be was born and spent 2 yrs ignoring him until he refused to be ignored anymore. they are jehovahs witnesses and they were dead against A as he was scientifically made. when J was born they picked him up, had pics taken, doting grand parents. difference being J was a shock natural. their bible says 'dont judge, lest you yourself be judged' . guess im the bigger person as i turned the other cheek and forgave them over their treatment of A and i try not to judge them because of their religion. yet, here they are judging me for making a decision based entirely on my sons unhappiness and sheer living nightmare he was experiencing. balls to them is what i say. We (dh and i) are his parentz and we know whats best for them.

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #73 on: 16/10/14, 23:44 »
    Mierrien
    free challenge cards and a free dyson for a month is on jamesdysonfoundation website. when it asks you to type in school, you just put your address. those are all free :-) bonus.
    other HE's send me links and i go from there. they have been talking about a site called twinkl which is science based (havent been on it yet have 55 dyson science challenge cards to get through).
    theres another called pintrest and thats a site where HE's pin up stuff they've done that might be appropriate etc for your family to try. havent been on there yet either.
    theres reading eggs - thats 19.99 a month and that trsts your children to see what level theyre at and then adjusts their tutoring accordingly.
    maths whizz is similar. 19.99 a. month and does what reading eggs does.
    reading eggs also has maths seed on it.
    10ticks is another maths site. that one you subscribe to for 64 pounds for 9 months and you can print worksheets.
    you can order workbooks from cgp (which is what schools use) as well, but you pay for them.  that covers everything schools are doing in the national curriculum.
    cant think of anything more atm. :-)
    merrien i will truly always be grateful to you. i have got my boy back :-D

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #74 on: 17/10/14, 00:04 »
    That's great Jade. Tho sounds like cards go with vacuum cleaner so best saving that for the future, as I think a couple of years before these two would get much out of it. ???

I think oxford reading press do good stuff too. It was recommended by a teacher friend

Like i say be great to have stuff folk we "know " have tried . There is so much out there, but quality variable.

Sorry your dad is not giving support. My mil is a jehova's witness, and tbh I expected some issues as dp and I aren't married, and my two are not just ivf but de too ( a fact I am open about ). I have however been pleasantly surprised.  I'm sorry your dad and his wife haven't embraced the basic tenets of Christianity re the innocence of babes. But you know you are doing the right thing for your family.  And it may be once they see the change for the better in your boys behaviour they come around .  ^hugme^

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #75 on: 17/10/14, 00:21 »
    mierrien,
    the challenge cards are a seperate thing. some of the challenges are make a cardboard periscope. or make a cardboard marble run. with instructions of course :-)
    how to write with invisible ink. how to make an egg go through a wide necked bottle without it breaking. bizarre cool little tricks. all 55 of them. :-)
    my dad and step mum. they either get it or they dont. thats theyre priblem not mine. although i didnt appreciatr the patronising way she statrd well you were quite.a clever girl ........
    it wont stop me taking the kids in a tent to my dads for a holiday, and they either notice the changes in the boys or they dont. again not my priblem. theres no-one as blind as those that dont want to see.
    to.think.we read my book of bible stories.to.them.most nights as well. just for moral groundings/guidelines.
    yet you get my mum, 5 yrs older than my dad, who when i asked her opinion of whether i should pull A out if school she said yes definitely. and just yesterday she said you shoukd have done it sooner.
    just goes to show and were part of the devils creation. that by the way. is what my dad told ne when i asked if he oved me. i was 16. he said i cant youre part of the devils creation. i tried od'ing that night but my freind stopped me, thankfully.
    yet i still love him and he has been a loving grand dad to C , A (eventually) and J.
    go figure!

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #76 on: 17/10/14, 00:37 »
    Cards requested   :)

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #77 on: 17/10/14, 00:45 »
    Ps I hope this doesn't offend anyone

I  remember reading the bible when younger. I realised I was damned on several fronts ( I read tarot cards so witchcraft, and of course fornication being unmarried ) .
    I prefer the ideas in cs lewis . If you haven't read " the last battle " do so. All his books are christian mythology based ( " the lion the witch and the wardrobe " anyone ? ) but there is a bit in the last battle I esp like. There is a worshiper of aslan who does lots of evil and a worshiper of the devil character who does good. When aslan says to the devil worshiper about being his son he says I am no son of yours. But aslan says I judge by actions not name . Tho you said his name your deeds were mine so you are my son.

I'm not descibing it very well, but well worth a read.

Offline Dramaqueen88

• If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to meet it!
    modify
    « Reply #78 on: 17/10/14, 08:26 »
    Hi ladies,

Just wanted to say I work in a primary school (trained secondary) and if there's ever anything you think you may need, wonder if there's an activity or resource for just DM me and I will have a root around for you! There's lots of lovely things you can do at home with your children (you already know that as I can see how much fun you are making it!) I find it all so exciting!

Good luck with everything and like I said if you need anything just let me know and I'll be happy to help!

DQ x

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #79 on: 17/10/14, 08:52 »
    Thank you mierrien,
    i have to say ive never read lion, witch and wardrobe. might have to have a peek. we like the recent (ish) films though. glad you ordered the cards, thry look like real good fun. and all of them use household goods. i think mine took 3 weeks to come as i had forgottwn about them and it was a lovely surprise. this is why i write in my HE jpurnal every day. memory of a fish. haha
    dramaqueen- thank you very much for your offer of help/possible resources. believe me, at some point , i will be asking for help :-)
    today A has written (OMG, he doesnt do writing atm) his birthday name list. unfortunately, he can only think of (his words) 5 nice children to invite. 2 of which are HE that he classes as good friends.  3 or school friends and he has 1 male friend only. it just makes me sad. J can reel off names 10 to the dozen and we had to tell him last yr he was only allowed 8. he found it difficult deciding who not to.have. just makes me sad. i know they are 2 different people but i see myself in both. parties were always difficult for me as a kid as i didnt have any friends, (thays A now) , but as i got older i learnt (taught myself) how to start getting on with anybody and i see that already in J. i still dont have many friends.
    although A is happier, he still struggles socially (apart from yday) i was shocked! he also wanted the random girl to come to his party, but thays not possible as she lives in scotland and is down here on holiday.
    another outing and a day of play ahead of us. so lets see what today brings :-)