* Author Topic: home education diary  (Read 56638 times)

0 Members

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
modify
home education diary
« Reply #90 on: 22/10/14, 22:05 »
hi mierran  ;D (got it right today)
yes they turned up safe and sound  :) and even better went on to an online site and A did interactive weighing, sorting shapes that turned into animals using triangle trapezoids squares rhombus etc.
J then played on there matching up cars with sums on, jigsaw pieces with sums on, dont think he does the sums though, just think he gets the picture right, but its all got to be going in yes?
an hour building lego cars and helicopters with their dad, so after doing not a lot today, they smashed maths and best of all had fun doing it. very frantic 2 hrs. going back to lego, coming back to me =, back to lego, back to me - you get the picture  ;D
so roll on tomorrow, with no lesson plans. its not too bad taking every day as it comes.
 ;D
the EHE officer that i met has sent me back what she has written down and its pretty much everything i told her, so she has done my education philosophy for me. worded it better than i would. i have heard some nasty things about my particular LA, but at the moment, i cant see that she has done me personally a disservice, she has even put in there that she saw me 2 weeks in and i had made a very good start,so all good. i have stuck these ed phils in each of the boys folders, so if SW's do come knocking i have it to hand complete with the boys education evidence. all dated, but not marked (although i have checked that they are correct) as A  doesnt want me defacing his work. think ticks and crosses would be a little too much like school at this point. i really dont think he'd cope with that right now
A's confidence is beginning to return, simply, because he hasnt got too many people trying to teach and influence him. i am also noticing that both boys are whipping through the work i set very quickly, must be the 1;2 ratio between teacher and pupils as opposed to 1;30 plus. https://static.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/Smileys/classic/grin.gifA is now back to year 2 coursework as he has whipped through the year 1 stuff we were doing. i think, at this rate he will be starting on year 3 work within the next 6 months.
J is learning time. only simple time o clock and 30 minutes past, but he is getting it.
A is learning time concepts now. can tell me he wants to do half an hour on this topic, when half an hour will be up and if he wants to do a further half an hour on something else and what time that will be.
he was learning 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 on a site yesterday. using pizza slices. i was well impressed  ;D ^idiot^
wish i had been able to retain that kind of information when i was younger, might have stood a chance at this age  ;D
i also cant wait to start playing the labyrinth board game with them. i am pants at visualising what direction i should turn the path to get where i need to go - so that should be fun  :o

hope you are feeling ok, i know youre finding stuff a bit tough  ^hugme^

/links

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #91 on: 23/10/14, 16:26 »
    I have found out from one of the school mums that the ofsted inspection was prompted by concerned parents.

today the results have been revealed. it aint pretty. all but one the areas that were looked at fell from good to inadequate. the last area needed improvement.
    the strongeat teaching was nursery. every other class iz failing its pupils. special needs kids are left to their own devices and the most able children are not encouraged to achieve higher learning.
    they said the standard of leadership was poor and inadequate. quality of teaching was inadequate. safety of the kids was inadequate. kids are allowed to play too roughly and too many accidents and incidents happen in the playground and the level of monitoring from teachers is inadequate.
    handwriting mistakes and literacy mistakes in general are not picked up and corrected. maths there is corrections made, but not often enough to make a.difference.
    all those snotty looks i endured in the week i was picking J up, were better than you, cos oir kids are learning in the correct place. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, i get the last laugh.
    dont get me wrong i do fsel sorry for the kids in that school, but i dont feel sorry for the parents.
    and yes i feel vindicated and also guilty that the school made me doubt my child for a.year. he is happier now though and that the main thing.
    i now have friends asking me for links to help their children progress whilst their in school.
    i love it :-D

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #92 on: 24/10/14, 23:43 »
    Brilliant you've been proved right tho awful that the school got so bad.

I think you'll find some days you get lots done and other days you just coast, and that's fine.

My two been over and grandma's today for few hours so I got some jobs done like sorting out gas and electricity, had a couple of hours kip and then a nice long bath. Def needed as didn't get in from work till 10pm last night ( supposed to be 8.30pm ).

Hope you have a good weekend.

X x

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #93 on: 25/10/14, 06:01 »
    5.27 am and i cant sleep.
    bad dreams 2 nights running. both involving the kids. 1st night the kids got bundled into a strangers car so i followed the car and J got taken into a house and A was in the back of the car, doors locked. i got the reg and then the man started to drive off. i could hear J screaming in the house and A was beating on the rear window screaming "help me!" i didnt know which way to jump and woke up crying. tonight, i dreamt we were walking in a an unrecognised town and someone stole them. i managed to follow again and they got locked in a room with wheels and then somebody set light to the room thing. i could hear them screaming and i woke up in a cold sweat crying my eyes out. what is wrong with me?
    afraid niw to go back to sleep, but know if i stay awake i will be worth nothing in the day. crochety, short tempered mama is not a good thing.
    but in happier news - my books arrived from a bargain website. 36 brand new phonic reading books, rrp 128.12, price i got them for 16.50 inc p&p. they are lovely! just got to teach J alphabet now ;-)
    thi.k A is above these books though as he read some to me at bedtime and he whipped through them. the only word he didnt recognise is tour. everything else piece of cake. J likes hearing A read and i hope its reinforces its good to learn to read.
    dh got me my new book. the new phillipa gregory book. came out in august. historical novel about henry VIII. silly sausage left the receipt in the bag, 13! hardback. cant wait to get time to sit back and chill with it. maybe on holiday, yeah right! might even read passages to the boys, if theyre interested. they wanted to watxh the white queen on dvd, but i wouldnt let them at the time. after all, they can both sit through 2-3 hrs of the lord of the rings and the hobbit. dads indulgence, definitely not mine. give me 6 seasons of lost on dvd (yes i have got them all), old style V or even the boxset rocky and you have me (and the kids for rocky) but LOTR nah!!!
    cant wait to see expendables 3 on the shelves. LOVE LOVE LOVE those films. all my teenage idols!
    so what did they do yesterday - A did challenge number 5 of james dyson. pierce a raw potato with 2 straws. yes he had fun. but i didnt go they way it should. aparently if you hold the straw in the middle and not block the top with your thumb, you shouldnt be able to pierce the raw potato. he did :-D , when he blocked the hole at the top, he still managed to pierce the skin. in the end he was getting the straw halfway through the potato and when phlling it out, it had potato going up the straw. well good fun!
    no meet up, as 1 out of 2 refused to get dressed. fair enough-weather was crap. J is a good natural little drawer. 2 caricuture smiley monster faces and he managed to independantly draw around his other hand. his detail in eyes is fantastic. a big circle first, then a smaller circle inside and finally a.slit drawn inside the second circle. looks really effective. have gone in his workfolder.
    spoke to A about his bedtime fears of the window. he is scared a monster will be there looking at him. so i tried to get him to see that windows are interesting, we can see people we know, trees, birds, the sky, cars, the light from headlights going across the ceiling, good stuff. he asked was i afraid of the window when i was hia age. i said no, mine was the wardrode door. i was afraid if mum left it open, the monsters would come and get me. she had to shut it properly every night. dh's fear was the window when he was young. he used to think an old wrinkly man with fearsome eyes would peer in and he used to have nightmares about it.
    no laptop work today as ive had to send it off to be repaired.

glad you had time for a bath and maybe some relaxation before the kids came home. me time is good for the soul.
    ooh, my BIL asked if he could take the boys to the pics tomorrow/today. only cos he wants to see teenage mutant ninja turtles and his gf. wont go with him haha. so dh is going as well, will be J's 2nd time, so voing to the toilet will be exciting lol, and i have a fairly free afternoon at the bingo. yay! birthday bingo!!!! me time on my birthday!!!
    right ......... sleep!!! hopefylly nice dreams this time!

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #94 on: 28/10/14, 23:52 »
    Hi,
    I hope you've had some better sleep.

to me both dreams are the same and relevant to your situation. They are about fear of loss of control over your kids and being unable to protect them.

I think it is unsurprising you are having dreams like this. Strangers have done your children harm and you have had to spend the last few weeks just reacting. You are somewhere you never ever considered being - a home educating mum.

Your sub concious is just catching up with events. It is analysing what has happened and working through it.
    There is a trick to dealing with bad dreams I have been teaching my kids.  You need to say to yourself. " this is a dream. I do not choose to have this dream. " . As soon as you realise it is a dream you can control it and either wake up but without the panic, or move onto a nicer dream.
    The other thing to do is while you go to sleep tell yourself " I am going to sleep. I will have full control over my dreams "

Also if you look at and understand the dream you will find it looses its power, and generwlly you will stop having them. It is just your subconscious self telling you you have been affected by all this and you need to acknowledge that and accept it before you can move on.

it was a lovely bath. It really helps my sore tum so I had another one on Sunday.  I hate to think what havok this will play with my gas bill but if I mentally partition it under ivf it gets funded ok. It's if i put it in the luxury compartment I start thinking it is too extravagant.

Overheard something that made me smile. Dd said something to dp about going to school and dp replied saying  "if you go to school " . 1st time ever. I don't know if he has started to come round to the idea or was being nice to me but either way made me want to give him a cuddle.

I am glad you had lovely presents.

I spent loads at boots on line getting dp enough antiperspirant to last the next year as they have loads on offer at half price, as is their nivea shaving foam for sensitive skin ( reduced 3 to 2 each ).  They also have their usual 3 for 2 on multivits so stocked up . It means oe less thing I have to budget for next year.

told boss I'm unlikely to be able to work as long as I wanted . I had hoped middle dec but not convinced feasible given pain. I need to work next 2 weeks to get 90% of salary for 1st 6 weeks mat leave( otherwise 130 per week throughout )  but will need to see beyond that. Hopefully boss will take on board re rotas etc but not holding breath. He was initially grumpy so I did what I hate doing but burst into tears on him. He can't deal with emotional women so counterproductive but I couldn't help it. I am just so fed up being sore and with no betterment in sight. Just hope bubba ok through all this.
    Today i got other people at work to do all the lifting of anything over about 5kg, and sat down where possible,  and checked what I could on table rather than floor. I do think it has helped a little but I still hurt.

Anyway,  hope your week ok and weather improved.

oh and I bought my two the osbourne activities book on map of the world. It was about 5 or 6 from amazon. It has stickers in it but is too old for my two just now as stickers all hace eg names of monuments or cemeteries on them and other places of interest,  but not where they go. So may be good for your two as you need to do some research on places and find out where is before using stickers.  They also do ones on the human body and famous paintings that are in my saved for lateras ddefinitely for older kids.
    so we are doing the one on ancient greece instead as lots athens based so obviously they have been there. I may get them romans and egyptians as  xmas presents. We do them snuggled up together and talķ about what people are doing etc so good focus.

Anyway, I have discovered if you put a fruit flavoured lactose free yoghurt in the freezer for a couple of hours you get a decent frozen yoghurt.  So that then sleep.  :)

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #95 on: 31/10/14, 14:07 »
     Hi sorry, havent been around, been on our hols  ;D so we walked part way through tissington trail yesterday and now I remember why 'I don't do walking'  ;) ;) attended the triplets birthday party, helped set party food out. Took my mother with us, parts were ok?, some very stressful.
    Caravan was beautiful. And I was bowled over by Walter, a 7 week old pup and yes I have been that stupid that I'm having him in a fortnight.  ;D  a little ball of fluff to go with my 10 yr old Boston x (male also) so a bit nervous  ???
    In HE news, although J can't do the alphabet he has started to read the new phonics books I bought. He lives the story about Bob bugs mums bag
    A has been particularly hard work. His spiteful traits coming to the fore again. Don't know if he was constantly showing off in front of nanna but he has been hard work! I have ad to walk away quite a few times as the alternative doesn't bear thinking about. Hopefully hvwill calm down a little now were home. Although he has just bit J so 6 mins in time out.
    Ofsted report in the paper the school is now in special measures.
    Dh running around cleaning up and washing holiday clothes band I'm sat here on net. Do I feel guilty? Nah, enjoying the rest!

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #96 on: 2/11/14, 10:41 »
    New car tomorrow midday. cant wait. i am actually getting Walter on this coming saturday.
    back to HEing tomorrow. although saying that we bought kids chalk boards batman tell the time game and alphabet jigsaw for J yesterday oih and a alphabet stamp letter thing. all from poundland. so not bad. tomorrow is busy. Dh dentist appt at 10ish, then new car. got walter his toy (mitch has nicked it, got to get another toy for both now) his bowl, collar and lead and blanket. needed to get a chest harness for W but as he is a chihuahua pup i cant find small enough anywhere.
    wed HE meet hopefully. thursday a school mum is taking us to a ball park with her youngest daughter and fri another HE meet up.
    hopefully kids will be raring to go.
    sat pick up W. i have asked my eldest to take mitch for a long walk and i will (dh will im driving) text him when were nearly home so he can mitch to meet Walter on the street. then theoretically bith dogs will come in the house at the same time. thats how im hoping it will go. just want them to get on. i have decidex that when walter is vaccinated, both dogs are going out every day. hopefully kids will come and thats nature and physical exercise all wrapped up in one. im thinking of buying a preemie cardigan and unpicking the arms as ive read chihuahuas feel the cold really quickly. i have looked at the jackets on the market for dogs and they will all drown him. need to find another dog coat for mitch as his has gone missing as well. he has a very short coat and feels the cold (especially as i mollycoddled him when he was a baby )
    very pampered pooches. my substitute babies. a new pup has got to be cheaper than another pointless round of ivf surely?
    kids are excited about walter joining our family. hopefully he will fit in.

Offline mierran

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #97 on: 2/11/14, 21:34 »
    Hi,
    hope all goes well with both new car and new puppy. And I hope both pooches get on.

Been busy weekend here. Just wish I could have a quiet day tomorrow instead of back to work. Hey ho. X x

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #98 on: 3/11/14, 08:01 »
    A friends dog had to be put down friday. much loved. she is absolutely devestated. she is 50, childless(never wanted kids), prefers those she can give back. loves mine. husbandless, never wanted to be married, and parentless. mum died nearly 11 yrs ago and has met her dad once. she is absolutely distraught without her baby. so, the good friend has found a bordie collie rescue centre pretty close to us and im taking her there wed. in my new car :-/. but i think i shall be laying down blankets. this rescue centre allows you to take a dog that day after indepth chats with them, to find a dog most suited to your needs.  hopefully, this will help ease some of the pain. cant watch her suffer like this. she is a pretty good dog owner (in some ways better than me, in others hohum) takes them out at least 3 times a day. my dog is lucky if he gets out once a week. all due to change though ;-) . the only thing that lets her down is feeding them chocolate, boiled sweets, crisps etc. my dog, on the other hand is on a strict diet. chappie and fibre response biscuits from the vets (impacted anal.glands, seen every 8 weeks). no titbits, no wasteage off dinner plates, certainly no sweets or.chocolate (toxic to dogs) crisps etc. they only thing he does steal is my cups of tea - glossy coat. no sugar in it and decaf.

Offline jdm4tth3ws

• Gold Member
    modify
    home education diary
    « Reply #99 on: 3/11/14, 08:13 »
    So its all go this week. just got to find some time to restart educating :-D.
    i think our local vets are doing a teddy bear repair service on children in need day. the flyer mentioned kids bring their sick teddies, get them fixed for a donation and then the kids get to wear a vet jacket and do some very minir vet jobs, be a vet for the day. there will be tombola, raffles, stalls and face painting. nit that my kids get their faces painted, way too sensitive skin for that. they come up in red itchy blotches within minutes no matter what face painting product is used. same as sun block. cant use that on them either. most expensive, cheapest, sunblock for excemza children all have the same effect.
    think we might have to buy dr who mags (if they do workbooks in them) both kids are well into this new series. A wants to go on you tube and watch some of the old doctors! we did buy him the david tenant (yummy) xmas special of the runaway bride on hol. both kept saying "thats not the doctor" going to have fun watching the doctor through the ages. peter davison, jon pertwee, colin baker, sylvester mccoy, tom baker etc.
    my house might just be overrun of pics of daleks and cybermen etc!!!!
    right, better wake them up, DH has dental appt at 10 and trying to get 2 kids breakfasted and dressed (when they really dont like clothes haha) is a hard task.
    have a lovely day, i hope to.
    hope you are ok at work today mierran.