145K views 989 replies 40 participants last post by  queenie123 
#1 ·
Hello everyone

Penny at Serum wants me to do a short protocol ivf cycle using Clomid only

Is this called the mini ivf?
I have never done a short protocol
I have never used clomid

I ovulate on my own
But I have had one abandoned cycle where 150 menopur my folices didn't grow big enough

Can anyone share their experiences please as I'm concerned clomid will do this same

Thanks so much
Corinne xxx

#2 ·
Hi Coz

I sent post out earlier about this but I didn't get any response. However someone kindly sent me a PM and was getting a good response to a clomid only protocol and set my mind at ease. But I do know someone else who didn't respond to it.

I do trust that Penny has seen good results with this should you respond to clomid. The key it seems is whether you respond to clomid or not, which is the same with the other drugs.

I won't be doing the cycle until November so can't tell you anymore about it but I see it as a very good sign that Penny is reccomending the protocol to people.

I did not respond well with high doses of gonal F on a long protocol but responded with high doses of fostimon and menorial on a short.

So I, too, woory that I wont respond to clomid but I am willing to take the risk and try.

I hope other people respond to your post.

Can I ask why you were on such a low dose of menopur and why they didn't up the dose?

Best

LuckyE 

Yes, this is called the mini ivf.

#3 ·
Hi Cos and Lucky,

I have started this protocol so I will keep you updated.  I met Penny for the first time on Wednesday (which happened to be day 1) and she offered to start straight away. So 150mg clomid from day 2 onwards and pregnyl trigger.

I have rheumatoid arthritis so, like you Coz, immune issues. Had LP ivf in UK in Jume and got 7 eggs, 2 poor quality blasts transferred and bfn.  We got dna frag test on DH while at serum and it turns out he not only has a brilliant SA, but also only 1% dna frag. So, Penny is thinking we need to find out about my egg quality.  She says clomid gives best quality eggs as it's your own natural fsh but worst lining so have to freeze and transfer a different cycle. 

We really liked the way Penny approached our case - first assessing embryo quality using a stim drug known to maximise egg quality, then move on to uterus and immune at a later date - just one thing at a time. So we decided to trust her and go with it.

Lucky, would you be able to give me the name of the lady who PMd you or maybe ask her if I could contact her? I feel like I'm going off into the unknown and would be grateful to speak to someone who is further ahead.

Tulip

#4 ·
Hey Tulip.

Yeah, Penny seems to be really behind this. 150 mg is the dose I willbe put on and the other lady took. I will let the lady know you'ld like some more info.

Yes, it is so scary.

Looking forward to hear how it goes.

LuckyE

#5 ·
Thanks Lucky.  I'll let you know how it goes  :)

#6 ·
Hi Ladies!

I'm another one on this protocol! Looking to be over first week in December doing 150 clomid until trigger, will be flying out on day 9 having EC then having a hysto a day or 2 later, taking any embies to day 5 and hopefully freezing for later!! Try not to worry about your response too much, I responded very well to clomid but terribly to gonal f, they work in very different ways! Clomid tricks your body into making the hormones where other drugs put the hormone here if you see what I mean?

Will keep an eye out for your names seeing as we are all in the same boat!  :)

#7 ·
Hi!

Just a quick note to let you know our results so far with clomid only mini ivf protocol (embryo banking) - I had 8 follicles on day 10 scan, triggered on day 10 - the lovely Dimitra came to our hotel to give me the pregnyl trigger.  Had 8 eggs collected (that's one more than I got on long protocol with menopur) so very happy!
All fertilised with ivf, all going strong on day 3, 3 blasts frozen today (day 5) which Penny described as excellent quality, which is brilliant!

With our LP cycle in the UK, got 7 eggs and on day 5, there was just one poor quality blast.  We are very happy and grateful to the wonderful Penny - feel like we have made more progress in the last two weeks with her than in 2 years at home. 

Will wait for phone consult with Penny in a few days to discuss next steps.

If anyone has any questions about my experience, feel free to contact me  :)

T xx

#8 ·
Tulip - thats a very good result. Well done.
Do y mind my asking how much it cost? Did y have to pay separately for freezing?

I've one cycle left at Serum from the package of 2 and have been thinking about clomid only cycle to keep costs down as much as possible. Basically weighing up options (mainly from the finance prospective) of whether to take this 1k or just go ahead with clomid cycle.  But then likely to have to folk out additional 1k for freezing ^idiot^ and two trips to Athens....

xxx

#9 ·
Hi Altai,

Thanks very much!

No problem at all - we paid for 2 cycle package so 4000 euros and then today we had the option of freezing the 3 embryos in one 'straw' ie one batch for 1000 euros, which will include transfer, or freeze two in one straw and the other separately for 2000 euros.  We opted to freeze in two 'straws' to give the opportunity for two transfers at different times.  We had to weigh up the extra cost, as we were expecting 1000 euros for freezing and only found out a few days ago that it might cost more. For me with my immune issues, we felt that it was worth the extra for the chance for two transfers.

I suppose it's a dilemma financially because although you save lots on the injectable fsh etc, by the time you take into account the freezing costs and extra trip to Athens, I'm not sure.  We only had to be there for a few days though, so I guess that the number of hotel nights for the two trips combined is probably similar to the time you'd spend on a traditional cycle, or maybe even less, so the main difference is the extra flights.

For me, the reason we did this was on Penny's advice to try to get the best quality. It was a massive bonus that I found the clomid cycle much easier and less stressful than the LP I did last time with a clinic in UK.  I'm not keen on injections at all so just taking the clomid made me far more relaxed.

What does Penny recommend for you?

All the best with whatever you decide

T xxx

#10 ·
Thanks Tulip

It looks like clomid cycle might be more expensive than a fresh full stim as I am usually on a cheap altermon.
And I am only considering whether to do this 1 left cycle or just take money back. P suggested I give her my ideas and she would give her opinion.
I had a consultation with Altra-Vita in Russia about 2 years ago and asked about Japanese ivf. Altra works in cooperation with Kato Ladies clinic where this method was first introduced.
They felt i'd be better off doing full stim ivf and now I can see that even financially i'd be better off doing medicated cycle.

I think I better take whatever money left and concentrate on my next combo cycle and its going to be en expensive one.

best of luck to y

#11 ·
Congratulations Tulip on your successful cycle.
Did you have any side effects on the clomid?

#12 ·
Hi Lucky!

Thanks very much.  I have my phone consult with Penny tomorrow to talk about the next step.

I had no major problems at all with the clomid - felt like absolutely nothing compared with long protocol with menopur.  Not that it's a side effect, but one thing to watch out for is that clomid tastes really disgusting, so it's good to have something nice on hand to take the taste away.  I had no side effects at all until about day 9, when I started getting a bit bloated and had slightly tender tummy, plus, I was also a bit windy for a few days. Glamorous eh?!

When are you expecting to start your cycle?

Hi Altai! All the best with your cycle x

Hi Oisky and Coz!

Xx

#13 ·
Hi everyone.  Sorry for the delay. I feel so reassured by your resposes so thank you so much!

Tulip how are you doing?

#14 ·
Hi everyone, I hope you don't mind me joining this group. I've just had my de-brief call with Penny following a failed cycle at Serum last month and she recommended I try a Clomid cycle next (in Jan) and Oisky Poisky kindly told me about this board.

It's really interesting to read about your experiences and reassuring to know there are no major Clomid side effects - I guess the biggest worry (after growing enough eggs) is whether we will make it to blastocycst - as we've only ever done that once before, and never had any left over to freeze - but I think it's certainly worth a go, to try and get better quality eggs.

It also involves much less time in Athens it seems, so I think it's certainly worth trying. I usually only get about 5-6 eggs anyway,  so it's certainly a risky move but I think it's good to try something new.

Good luck to those cycling at the moment, and thanks in advance for any thoughts/ comments/advice on Clomid cycles.

#15 ·
Hey putneygirl - it's a nerve wracking experience not knowing whether it will work or not...  ^pray^ ^pray^

I hope it does as it'll be a relief to only have to be there for 6 days tops.

how many blastos did you get in your last cycle?

#16 ·
I know - it sort of feels as though this one will be more nerve wracking, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, I supposed :)

In our last cycle we collected 5 eggs, 4 fertilised, but only 2 were any good really, so they both went back on on day 3. This is pretty typical of our pattern - so with Clomid, I am aware I may not even get many eggs in the first place, but as Penny always says, it only takes one good one.....

Is there a risk that the embryo's might not survive the thawing too (or is that quite uncommon?)

Really good luck for your cycle!

#17 ·
there is a risk but it's small as I saw on one of the threads, I think Agate posted, that they have got new freezing equipment - vitrification equipment so the defrosting rate is high. I feel very confident that the blastos will survive.

well, all we can do is see what will happen.... that's what Penny keeps telling me.

#18 ·
Oh that's great news - very reassuring about the low risk, thank you. As I have never frozen before I wasn't sure how successful it typically was (although I know a large number of women do it with their extra embryos).

That's the same advice Penny has given me - we can only take one day at a time, and hope that each cycle will be the one that works. I'm not sure if you've already started your Clomid cycle, but wishing you and the other ladies on here lots of luck.

I'm going to concentrate on egg quality over the next couple of months - hmmmmm 2 months of no sugar/ alcohol in the run up to xmas, hey ho, at least it will keep me healthy!

#19 ·
Thank you, Putneygirl. I start this cycle next week. FX I respond.

I'm also doing another cycle in jan - clomid if it works! Normal drugs if it doesn't. So I'm on a health kick, too. I really need to hold onto the thought that it only takes 1 good egg. It feels very positive. 

#20 ·
Good luck LuckyE, wishing you all the best, and hope this is the one that works for you!! Sending lots of PMA around these boards xx

#21 ·
Hi ladies, thank you tulip for letting me know about this thread.

I had a BFN last week after OE IVF, we got 7 eggs using short flare and ended up with a 3 day transfer of 3 embryos. Penny thinks egg quality is issue (I'm ancient with low AMH) and She has suggested we try clomid and embryo banking ....

We've paid the two cycle package too, so good to know it will be further 1000 to freeze.

I've read some good things about this approach especially with older women. Tulip it sounds like it suited you. Great to hear how you get on. Do you know when you'll transfer yet, is it usually the following month?

Oisky poisky penny is recommending hysteroscopy and implantation cuts after EC for me too,so interesting to hear how it goes for you.

Best of luck everyone, hopefully we can help each other out.  ::)

Jxx

#22 ·
Hi Ladies,

just wondering if i could join you guys.  I have had a chat with serum today about the clomid protocol - i am a poor responder.  I have the full whack at the ARGC last year - which i collected two eggs - did get pregnant (only for 8 weeks though  :( ).
I have immune issues and low AMH - i will be interested to follow your journeys - we are hoping to start in feb.  I have taken shed loads of vitamins and supplements in the past and would be interested to know what advice you can give me.  I guess i have enough time to get some supplements on board.

Good luck and baby dust to us all :)

#23 ·
Hi Positive Vibes, welcome!

I have only got as far as one banking cycle so far, no transfers yet and I wondered the same thing about supplements and diet etc.  I asked Penny and her advice was to "eat a balanced, healthy diet, take folic acid and be happy and relaxed : )"
- sounds good to me!

I bought "It starts with the egg" by Rebbecca Fett which is all about supplements and products to avoid when ttc etc.  It's a good book, but for me, It was a really bad idea because I tend to get a bit obsessed and stressed about these kinds of things.  I personally prefer to stick with the wonderful Penny's advice.

Hi Coz! Have you decided what you are going to do?

Lucky - have you started your cycle yet? How are you getting on?

Janek - for deciding what to do next we have the option of either doing another banking cycle with clomid and consider hysteroscopy as well - or going for natural cycle fet (with all the immune meds and aquascan/intra uterine wash 4 days before transfer). 

I wanted to go for fet but because have to be on pred for at least one month before transfer, that is going to take us into Christmas week.  Decided yesterday, it's too much stress trying to getting bloods and intralipids etc on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day etc so hopefully going to to go for another banking in Dec instead because I don't want to waste any time.

Hi to Putney girl and Oiksy!  :)

You're going soon aren't you Oiksy? Hope you and Lucky and all of us have really good cycles  :)

T xx

#24 ·
Hi guys, Welcome Positive Vibes. Yes I've started. I only have 2 follicles at the moment so it's a pretty shakey start. I could have abandoned it but I wont' cycle again until January and I don't want to wait that long.

I'll let you know if I get anything. Keep your fingers crossed for me.  ^pray^ ^pray^

LuckyE

#25 ·
Hi everyone,

Tulip - Just ordered my pills and hoping for AF to arrive on time next friday so I can get booked up! Hoping to be out there 28th-2nd ish its all getting very real now  :eek: What dates in Dec do you think you'll be over?

Lucky - how many days in are you now? I hope some more pop up for you  ^pray^

Positivevibes - Penny said pretty much the same to me as tulip re supplements, I am however taking a range of things that Penny suggested when I asked again even though I would only be on them for 6 weeks before starting the cycle she seemed to think it could still be of a little benefit. I'm taking CoQ10, pregnacare, inositol and melatonin

Janek - I'll definitely pop back and keep you updated, Penny even said I could have hysto on day of EC :eek: not sure about doing that though lol

Putney - Glad you found the board and it can be of some help to you :-*

^wave^ to everyone else

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.