* Author Topic: medicated IUI, secondary infertility, low AMH, low morphology  (Read 3354 times)

0 Members

Offline Artichoke

Ok so I've been thinking that maybe I should start a diary. Plot down my thoughts, document the treatment and so on. And seeing as I've already started injecting I was just thinking if I don't start this diary right now, well it'll probably be never so here it goes...

Bit of background... I am 35 and my husband is nearly 36. We have a gorgeous daughter aged 4 and a bit, conceived naturally and easily. My husband is now sterile after receiving a stem cell transplant to treat cancer when our daughter was a baby. We have had 4 natural (unmedicated) IUIs using my husband's sperm frozen prior to cancer treatment began. The first 2 IUIs took but ended in very early miscarriages. The other 2 IUIs didn't take, possibly due to timing of the procedure (or not, who knows!). So we thought we would give a medicated cycle a go. It won't help the morphology of the sperm (obviously!) but at least the timing of the IUI should be better. And if we're lucky I respond well to the drugs and produce more than one follicle and therefore giving us a better chance of it working. Well that's our theory anyway.  :)

Saturday 1 November

Cycle day 1

Sunday 2 November

CD 2  7.20am injected 0.3ml Buserelin

Monday 3 November

CD 3  7.25am injected 0.3ml Buserelin

Tuesday 4 November

CD 4  7.30am injected 0.3ml Buserelin

Any side effects so far? Don't know really. My head and eyes have felt a bit funny yesterday and today and I'm tired. Could be side effects, could just be me. Who knows! Anyway so far so good I think!

Have my baseline scan tomorrow. Bit worried they'll find something wrong and cancel the cycle. Hoping all is well and I get the go ahead to start stimming.  ^reiki^   ^reiki^

Bedtime!

Artichoke

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Artichoke

Fell asleep with DD last night. DH tried to wake me up but I was having none of it, way too cosy in bed! :) Anyway the scan yesterday went well. I'm sure the sonographer counted 2 bigger follicles (8mm) and 4 smaller ones on my right ovary and 4 small on my left ovary, so I made that 10 in total. However, when I saw the nurse she said 4 in each ovary. So not sure if I misunderstood the sonographer or what but either way I'm happy with at least 8. Although I must admit I don't know what is a good number at this point and I suppose that if we were doing IVF, it would be on the low side. Anyway lining was 4mm. All good. Oh and the consultant had my AMH retested in September and so I asked the nurse for the results yesterday and it's 8!  ^clapping^ I asked if the test had changed and what the reference range was. Last time I had it tested was August 2012 and it was 3. Nothing has changed according to the nurse, test and reference range are the same. So, I'm still in the “low fertility” range (3-8) but that's fine by me as I thought for sure it would have dropped to the critically low (< 3). Anyway, they're only numbers and what really matters is whether I respond to the stimming drug or not. When I saw the consultant in September he said he thought I'd be on 150iu of menopur. But having looked at my notes now, he's decided 75iu every other night only (wed, fri, sun). Back for scan on Tuesday am. That really surprised me. I mean I have no real knowledge but I reckon that's being very cautious. But then I suppose they only want one follicle (I want two!  ;D More targets for the sperm = greater chance of success!!?) to grow big and release an egg. Now, I am somewhat of a control freak so would normally be googling and researching and questioning that but I have decided to trust the clinic and just go with it. They know what they're doing. And I'm sure I've read somewhere that it's better for egg quality to stim for longer on a lower dose than to stim quickly on a high dose.

Wednesday 5 November

CD 5  7.20am Buserelin
             Scan - R 4 follicles  (3-8mm), L 4 follicles (2-8mm) Lining 4mm
             7.10pm Menopur 75iu

Thursday 6 November

CD 6  8am Buserelin

Side effects? Don't think so, feel fine!  :)

Artichoke

Offline Artichoke

Is it strange that I'm slightly disappointed that I didn't get to do an injection tonight? ^idiot^ Quite like the drawing up and mixing, not as keen on the injecting but don't mind it. Such a tiny needle. On a different note, I've read about women putting a hot water bottle on their tummy while stimming to help the follies grow and I suddenly remembered this today and thought maybe I'll do that tonight. Decided against it though. I'm trying to not get caught up in this try. I'm pretty much just getting on with life as usual and the only things I'm doing differently is writing this diary and making sure I have a few brazil nuts every day (I do usually eat them but not necessarily everyday) and I'm adding a bit extra protein in the form of sprouted wholegrain rice powder. So far I've added it to porridge, smoothie and vegetable soup. And I can reveal that it makes it all taste fantastic! Not. Honestly it's not that bad but it definitely has a special taste and it's a bit grainy. I don't have a high protein diet so I thought it might be good to add a bit extra while stimming to help the little eggies grow.

I'm trying to think of this try as lots of little steps. (Step one -starting Buserelin on CD 2. Step two -baseline scan going well. Step three -starting menopur.) And to celebrate and feel happy and positive after each one but still remembering that it could fall on the next hurdle. Not being pessimistic but realistic and breaking it down makes it easier for me to stay grounded.

Right better get off to bed.

Artichoke

Offline Artichoke

CD7  7.25am Buserelin

Headache today. Have not taken anything for it and obviously difficult to rest with DD around. Will probably fall asleep with her again tonight. Could quite happily go to bed now actually. Must remember menopur injection tonight, in about an hour in fact. Tricky this every other day business.

Offline Artichoke

Friday 7 November

CD 7  7.05pm menopur 75iu

Saturday 8 November

CD 8  7.35am buserelin 0.3ml

My head was hurting badly last night and I felt sick and my shoulders and neck hurt. Felt awful. Was in bed by 7.30pm and sound asleep not long after. Head was still sore when I woke to go to the toilet in the night but the headache had gone when I woke up this morning. (Head's still a bit fragile so will take it easy today.) Makes me think it was related to the drugs as when I get headaches like that one they always last 3 days and nights. Have been trying to drink more than usual but think I need to drink more still.

We're going to watch the fireworks in some little village tonight and stay the night at the in law's. Should be fun. :)

Offline Artichoke

Not doing very well documenting this medicated IUI, am I? So after my last post, busy weekend and Monday. Then Tuesday I got a headache, had a scan and all looking good, one follicle of 19mm on my right ovary and lining of 9.8mm I think. So was told to do trigger (Pregnyl 5000iu) that night at 21.30 and go in for the procedure on Thursday 13 November at 13.30. I felt quite disappointed that there was only 1 follicle as my body is quite able to produce that on its own and at a much lesser cost. Was trying to feel positive as things were at least moving forward but headache turned into a migraine and I felt very very negative about everything. Still felt like crap on Thursday for the insemination, all went well though. Started Cyclogest 400mg vaginally that evening. Had a burning sensation quite uncomfortable down below in the morning so decided to do the pessaries in my  ^shake^ from then on which seems fine.

In the last few days my boobs have felt heavier and a bit tender, all due to the progesterone I am sure. I have also been irritable and felt a bit low pretty much since starting them. Great fun! Not. Mild cramping on and off for the last few days and increased cervical fluids too. All of this could of course point to pregnancy, but it's much more likely to be due to the bum bullets. Oh, I have used internet cheapies to test out the HcG every few days and got very faint positives until Saturday just gone (22nd) when it was negative.

I keep going from thinking “it definitely hasn't worked” to “I think it has worked” several times a day. And actually feel most of the time like I believe both scenarios to be right. Like how could that even be???!!!  ^idiot^ It's like half of me is convinced it hasn't worked and the other half thinks it has. However, when I went to the loo earlier today I had a bit of brownish cervical fluids. So not looking good. CD 24 today and IUI was done on CD 13. Now this little voice somewhere in my brain is saying that there's a chance that it's due to implantation. But surely, it's a bit too late for that? If this was a natural cycle and the trigger had been my natural surge, my period would start 13-14 days after which is today. Because of the drugs used during this cycle I don't know what my body will do, but I normally just come on with red blood so I'm blaming the drugs. Kind of expect my period to come though. Need a wee now but don't want to go because I don't want to know. Sorry for such a down post.

Artichoke

Offline Artichoke

Still CD 24...
    A little more brownish cervical fluids but not much so far. I feel quite wet down below though and so I keep thinking my period has started. Anyway like I said earlier on a normal cycle I don't have any spotting before my period starts it just starts full on. The only time I've had brownish cervical fluids before is last year when I got a BFP (after a natural iui) and then a day or two after started having some brown cervical fluids which turned into blood later that day or the day after. Very early miscarriage. So brownish stuff is not good. Expect af to arrive tomorrow. But of course a part of me is stupedly thinking that maybe it won't  and maybe I'll get a BFP on Thursday. If only.

Offline Artichoke

CD 25   The "wet" feeling down below and the faintly brown cervical fluids have continued today. It's not much coming out though. Mild cramping on and off all day too. Did remember last night that the progesterone bum bullets is quite likely to hold off af even if no implantation has taken place. So af might not appear until I stop taking them. Anyway wonder if I should do a test tomorrow morning? Hmmm not sure it would be of any use as whatever the result, I probably won't believe it.

Artichoke

Offline Artichoke

CD 26 -13 days post IUI

POAS (internet cheapie) this morning. Negative.  :'( They are meant to be super sensitive 10mIU/ml and they did pick up the trigger so I really don't see how I could get a positive tomorrow. Hoping though.  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

We have a lot going on and it feels like the last 3.5+years (since DH diagnosis) have been such a struggle and it just doesn't stop. I just want to us to live and feel like we can breathe again. Now I know how lucky we are to have our DD and how lucky we are to still have her daddy, my DH with us. It's just that everything is such an uphill struggle and I don't know how much more I/we can take. I sometimes think that we should just stop ttc and accept that we won't have any more children and our DD won't have any siblings. At least then there would be one less thing to stress and worry about. Not to mention that we really can't afford to just keep trying. And the emotional side I could certainly do without. Feeling very low.

Offline Artichoke

CD 26  continued

Bleeding now.  :'( How stupid of me to think that maybe just maybe we had some luck coming our way.