* Author Topic: Home insemination  (Read 987 times)

0 Members

Offline Juju77

• Sr. Member-10017
modify
Home insemination
« on: 14/11/14, 22:31 »
Hello

I'm a 37 year old single woman who is going through home inseminations to try to have another child. I have currently failed on my 7th cycle.

I was just wondering how long it took if any of you ladies have succeeded? How many cycles did it take you.

I am considering having IUI but am wary about asking for it because I am disabled and am worried I will be refused on that basis even though I am raising my son quite happily. I'd be shattered if they refused me so I have been continuing with home inseminations.

Am I being unrealistic expecting to be pregnant yet or should I seek further advice? Was anyone successful after 7 or more tries?

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Me, Myself and I

• Gold Member-10018
    • Single Mother By Choice
    modify
    Home insemination
    « Reply #1 on: 15/11/14, 03:46 »
    I would imagine that this on different to ttc via copulation where questions aren't asked until after eighteen months.....

Suppose iui maybe more effective. Have you had a fertility mot to check everything is as it should be still?

Do you use opks?

Are you timing it well eg every twelve hours after peak for five or six inseminations in case you are a later ovulater?

Tried different sperm? I presume you're using a bank so sample is "good quality" with no issues?

Re disability - clinics will not unfairly judge you as you fear....

Offline Juju77

• Sr. Member-10017
    modify
    Home insemination
    « Reply #2 on: 15/11/14, 14:40 »
    Hello

I'm using decent sperm, yes.

I do use ovulation tests.

I was doing it three times a cycle, once 10 or 12 hours after positive LH test, 2nd time 24 hours after, third time about 36 hours after. I suppose if I ovulated later than that it might miss it but I checked for egg white CM and inseminated the afternoon I got that. I'm also using stuff that makes it easier for the sperm to swim. I use the unwashed variety which live longer than IUI sperm (about 12-24 hours) so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm considering inseminating maybe at 45 hours next time.

Haven't had an MOT yet but I'm having one in January before I try again in case there's something wrong so I don't waste more money. I have had terrible PMS and irregular cycle lengths for the last year and a half and am thinking maybe I have a hormone imbalance.

Offline BroodyChick

• Gold Member-10018
    • IVF as single egg sharer w known donor
    modify
    Home insemination
    « Reply #3 on: 30/11/14, 21:55 »
    Wishing you best of luck Juju!
    Do come and say Hi on the Single Ladies board.
    I am 37 too, and finally got a pregnancy that stuck after FET last year from an IVF cycle earlier the same year.
    Before that, I'd tried various 'natural' methods for a combined total of at least 12 cycles so I don't mean to discourage you, just letting you know that this can take a while...
    Of the 4 women I know who tried home insemination with imported sperm, nobody has got pregnant that way.x