* Author Topic: wibble-wobble's birth story (forceps delivery)  (Read 2885 times)

0 Members

Offline wibble-wobble

• Volunteer
Baby Robots Birth Story

I'm starting my birth story a little different, it's starting almost 2 weeks before my little angel actually made her appearance.

I apologise in advance for all the waffle and the sheer length of what you are about to read :D

October 6th

So here goes I'm 40+1 and it's my first midwife appointment having gone overdue. All the normal checks were done, B.P, dip test, feel of bump to guage position and listen to heartbeat. To my disappointment baby is still only half engaged like she was at the previous appointment almost 2 weeks ago. Midwife Helen decides to try a sweep and is unsuccessful, cervix is still 2 cms long, only just beginning to soften and is posterior. She does a little stretch in the hope that will start things off and gives me a bishops score of 3. I ask about induction but am told nothing will be booked until next Monday when she examines me again to see what changes have happened, there are different methods of induction the drip, pessary or propess tampon 24hr,then pessary and she wont know which one to book until next Monday. I leave full of hope that things may start to happen naturally.

A couple of days later I wakein the early hours in pain and I've started to pass brown sludge, the kind you get just before AF makes an appearance. I'm tempted to tell Jon to stay off work but decide to take 2 paracetamol and get some sleep I'm so tired. The brown discharge continues on and off for a couple of days, at 1 point I ring the hospital due to the volume of it but I'm told just to monitor it for an hour or so along with movement... NO FURTHER ACTION!!!

October 13th

40+8 time for the progress check with Helen and its bad news absolutely no progress in my lady bits still getting a bishops score of 3, but on the positive baby is now fully engaged. A sweep wasn't possible again.
Helen goes through the induction process with me. Because of my score she recommends the 24hr propess followed by pessary method. Apparently the propess is a slow acting hormone to soften the cervix gradually over 24hrs, in about 3-5% of cases it can work quicker than 24hrs but it's rare for this to happen.
I was already dreading Jon being bored for a natural labour that could take 12hrs to establish now I had an extra day for him to be bored and cranky because he's bored!
I've lost all hope of going naturally now, my pool birth plan is out the window because I'm being induced so have to be on the labour ward .... all the machines and medical equipment instead of the relaxing Eden Suite with just a midwife.
Induction is booked to start at 1pm Friday 17th Oct all being well I could be cuddling my baby sometime Sunday :)

Thursday I'm convinced my waters have broken as I get out of the bath, I ring the hospital who tell me to put a pad on, lie down for an hour then see what happens when you stand.
Turns out I must have a fanny like a bucket that held onto bath water... the pad is bone dry. My last wishful hope of a natural birth is shattered.

October 17th

I woke randomly through the night as I had through most of my pregnancy. I'd started passing the brown sludgy discharge again the afternoon before and through the night I'd started to get mild period pain. I thought nothing of it and maybe it was just down to being examined the other day, like last time only the pain this time wasn't as severe.
We spent the first part of the morning sorting a couple of bits, and giving the cats lots of attention their lives are about to change loads.

We leave the house at 1230 to get to the hospital for the 1pm kick off.... Great start we arrive to be told they aren't quite ready can we come back at 3pm (someone had tried to ring me, my mobile battery had died through the night and I didn't switch it back on until we were leaving and didn't get any messages)
So off we went for a coffee and a sandwich which took all of half hour, there was practically no signal for using mobiles... It was a long 2 hours!! 3pm and we're finally shown to our room No 7 home away from home I said (we live at No 7) it wasn't quite as homely though.

A few of the midwife team come in and out introducing themselves , I can see Jon is starting to get fed up that we have been left an still nothing has been started. It's 430 before they link me up to the fetal monitor, things have sarted at last. I found it quite stressful being on the monitor, I'd never been on one before so didn't know what the normal fluctuations for baby's heartbeat should be and there was quite a variance in them. The monitor picked up the braxton hicks I was having, they were all painless and not bothering me.
At 5pm I was given a meal it looked like poop, but didn't taste too bad... It only stayed down til around 7pm.
530pm and the midwife is ready to examine me for the propess tampon. I'm 1cm dilated, cervix still posterior but softening nicely. She explains how the induction will work, in 24hrs they will remove the propess, examine me and insert a pessary that will be in for 12 hours, she then says it will be sometime Monday I give birth. Jon is less than impressed hearing that, I tell him he should probably go home and come back in the morning. He says no, he'd stay til 9ish. I'm monitored for another 30 mins then free to go wandering. It's past 6pm now so there is nothing open we have a lttle walk in the grounds but it's fairly cold so we head back to my room. I'm starting to feel pain now so take 2 paracetamol to ease it while we figure out how to use the tens machine. By 8pm the tens is turned up to 5 and I'm thinking I'm such a wimp. I couldn't have any more pain relief yet it was too soon. I was sick around now and also had the squits (sorry tmi) I notice fresh blood and panic. I send Jon to get someone only to be told its normal, they bring me a ball to bounce on. By now I'm in loads more pain and I'm told to bounce, move around and turn the tens up gradually to help.
930pm and after begging for more pain killers I'm given 2 codeine, I managed to drop them on the bed, Jon was getting narky with me now and snapped 'why didnt you swallow them from the cup' .. because I never thought of it, I've got fingers to put tablets in my mouth with! I was complaining too much, the midwives have other patients too.
1030pm and I'm moaning to Jon that the codeine are crap and are doing nothing and how it can't be normal to be in this much pain so soon, the tens was only taking my mind off the contractions  slightly. His reply was 'you need to dig deep and find some inner strength, your only in the beginning part of labour, it's going to get a lot worse' of course this wasn't said in a nice way but his moody I'm so peed off with you voice. I told him to go home he wasn't useful to me being tired and moody himself.  A midwife came to check on me around now and I told her I was having lots of contractions, I  hadn't timed them so she asked me to do this for the next 20 minutes.

In the 20 minutes I had 10 contractions lasting between 40 seconds and a minute, so the midwife went to get the monitor to confirm what I was saying. Jon now decided he'd had enough of me moaning and wasting the time of the midwives being a hyperchondriac so he kissed me goodbye (it was a bitter farewell from us both) and said I'll come back around 10am... hopefully in a better mood!
11pm I was hooked to the monitor again and around 20 minutes later the midwife came back to check the reading, on doing that she said she needed to do an internal examination. I was now 7cms dilated and my waters were bulging, contractions were approx every 2 - 2 1/2 minutes lasting about a minute. It was time to move me.

I was asked what type of pain relief I'd like when I got to the labour ward, to which I replied everything possible, even epidural even though I'd stated in my birth plan I didn't want it but if it was guaranteed to take the pain away then give it to me ( by now I'd had enough of the tens it was cranked up past 10 and the bolts of shocks were more uncomfortable than helpful)
The midwife then told me that I was going to the Eden suite not the labour ward as there were no problems with me or baby and I could have the water birth I originally wanted. It's rare for someone who is induced to make it to the midwife led unit, but if I seriously wanted epidural then I couldn't go... I soon changed my mind on that... TAKE ME TO THE POOL.

I still had no signal on my phone so the midwife had to ring Jon to get him to come back. He'd literally got home, changed into his trackie, fed the cats and stuck a micro meal on to cook. So he waved goodbye to his dinner and got back to the hospital for midnight, by which time I was already comfy in the pool with the gas and air.
I was surprised at how well the water actually eased the pain, it was bliss. It didn'y get rid of all the pain but it certainly helped. The gas and air made me queasy so I  didn't use it too often, Jon probably had more of it than I did while the midwives were out of the room. They only came in to check my pulse and baby's heartbeat every 2O minutes. (I had a trainee as well as a qualified midwife)
The 4 hours I was in the pool passed quickly and peacefully,(until the screamer moved in next door) the midwife explained what my waters breaking in the pool would look like and said she'd go over how Jon would get the baby out of the pool once she was born after I'd been examined The tap was dripping constantly but I found it relaxing. After 4 hours I had to be examined and they couldn't do that in the water so out I got with gas and air to hand.

I wasn't able to empty my bladder when I got out, so before examining me the midwife emptied it for me with a catheter, she said to give the baby more room to get out I wasn't going to put up a fight, I just wanted her to do what she needed to as quickly as possible so I could get back in the pool.
There was no change since coming down from maternity, still 7cms and waters bulging. I asked how many cms I should be and she said 10 ( should dilate 1/2 cm an hour) another blow. She then said she would break my waters to see if that helped to speed things along. Pop and the atmosphere changed in an instant, you could see concern in the faces of the midwife and trainee

The baby had passed mecconium, no more pool birth for me. I was walked the short distance from the Eden suite round to the labour ward with no pain relief and just gas and air waiting for me.
I was tacicardic when I got there, probably shock from developments and my walk, so was quickly placed on all kinds of monitors for me and baby.

4am and they are just getting me comfy in my new room with all the medical equipment everywhere. The gas and air they give me has a dodgy mouth piece that makes a funny squeaking noise when it's first used everytime which makes me laugh. They give me a shot of pethidene to ease the pain, I can't have any other meds as the baby should be born quite soon and it's too late. I'm told to drink loads as dehydration will slow contractions

5am and it's decided I need more fluids, despite drinking like a fish the contractions are slowing. It takes 2 people 3 attempts to get the cannula in, I have what they call wobbly veins :D They also give me an isotonic drink (worst tasting drink ever) in the hope all the extra fluids work.

530am time for another internal, I'm fully dilated now but told I wont start pushing for about another hour, baby isn't quite in the right position. A clip is put on baby's head to monitor her as the machine isn't picking her up because of where she is.
45 mins later, the extra fluids aren't keeping the contractions going just 2 every 10 mins now, it's decided they'll give me the hormone drip to speed them up. I'm dead against it after the pain I felt with the propess but don't really have a choice. I have to have it and still no more pain killers are allowed. Once the drip kicks in and the contractions start I'm told to start pushing... I'm sure by now the pethidene is wearing off, or maybe I'm a wimp either way I'm feeling pain again and just have gas and air to see me through it. Bit crap as you can't push and suck on the gas and air at the same time.
The midwife looking after me now is a total nutcase, so bouncy and loud and bubbly and encouraging. Jon feels a bit of a dick telling me to push, your doing so well etc but does it anyway. The midwife is saying come on push harder this baby will be here by shift change over at 730am

7am and another internal, baby is still stuck in the same position a consultant is brought in to examine me and double check baby's position. She says  to monitor after a fewmore contractions as that could do the trick.

730am and shift change over the new midwife (Rachel, the only name I remember) is really young and is equally as nutty and nice.
745am another consultant has their hand up my foo feeling baby's position (why they ask if you mind before they do it baffles me, you can't really say no they need to know what they are dealing with)
It's decided that no progress has been made at all and contractions are slowing down yet again despite the hormone drip and yet more extra fluids being pumped in.
I lost count of the amount of different medical professionals that came in and out of my room and maybe violated my depleting dignity a little more and got me to sign paperwork and explain what was happening.

I was being taken to theatre for an assisted delivery, either by forceps if they could failing that it would be a c-section. So I had to agree to both an episiomy and a c-section and also epidural.
Things got a little hectic now, with people rushing in and out sorting thing ready for theatre. I'd put the worst type of nail varnish on, it had a glitter top coat and was a total Twit to get off, it took ages.

I was then wheeled round to theatre and Jon was left alone to wait for them to prep me. I was given gas and air whilst the epidural was being set up ready to administer. I was given a pillow to hug and then in it went.
It was such a nice feeling, going all warm and tingly then not feeling anything after hours of pain. Jon was brought in and sat by my head looking terrified, he kept telling me everything was ok. Then it was time to push, I had to be told when a contraction was starting and then push. Not easy when you can't feel a thing. Jon had to lift my head to make me feel like I was doing anything.
On the first contraction they moved baby out from where she was stuck, on the second she was pulled a little closer to the exit and on the third she was born

It took around 20 seconds for her to start screaming and it was the best sound ever. They couldn't delay clamping the cord because of being in theatre and to Jon's disgust when they cut the cord they left it long so he could cut it again, something he didn't want to do but felt obliged as it had been left for him.
Daddy got to have the first cuddles as despite being given the injection to help the placenta out my womb was unwilling to give it up for ages and I also had to be sewn back together. It was about an hour before we met.

total labour time was 10hrs and 33 mins (would have been much quicker if Phoebe didn't get stuck)

Phoebe was born at 948am Saturday October 18th
weighed in at 7lbs10ozs

and she's perfect in every way, even if I do say so myself

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline SWGirl

modify
    wibble-wobble's birth story (forceps delivery)
    « Reply #1 on: 29/11/14, 02:00 »
    Great birth story Wibble.  I love detailed birth stories with amusing descriptions.

Offline SWGirl

modify
    « Reply #2 on: 29/11/14, 02:03 »
    Big Congratulations to you and Jon!

Offline wibble-wobble

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 20/12/14, 17:41 »
    Thank you