* Author Topic: Natural, mini, mild (etc) IVF chat thread  (Read 69999 times)

0 Members

Offline janieliz

modify
Natural, mini, mild (etc) IVF chat thread
« Reply #50 on: 16/02/15, 07:29 »
Hi,

I can join this thread as well please?

Congratulations on being PUPO Briss, sorry to hear that you haven't been well, fingers crossed this embryo is snuggling in.

GPK, you have an AFC similar to mine! When are you thinking about having a cycle? i had one in January at Serum and managed to get 2 eggs and they both fertilised and were put back in on day 5. Unfortunately I have had a chemical pregnancy. I am going to try again in April. How did you respond to stim cycles? I was a truly terrible responder, and was over the moon when I got two eggs on the natural cycle!!

x

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Briss

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #51 on: 16/02/15, 11:05 »
    janieliz, welcome!

ladies, can I ask how do you decide on what day to transfer? With natural IVF most clinics do the transfer on day 2 because there is usually just one embryo so no scope for choice but the Munich clinic said it makes no difference on what day to transfer. There is a theory that the embryo feels better in the uterus than the lab so the sooner you get it in the better but others disagree and say that the embryo is travelling down the tube for about 5-7 days and the environment in the tube is very different to uterus so there is no advantage in early transfer. later transfer day 3 or 5 let you get more information on embryo quality. there is a risk that embryo will arrest before the transfer but it would stop developing in the uterus anyway so it makes no difference. I always had day 2 transfers cos I wanted to be reunited with my embryo asap but now I am thinking if we should transfer later so we have a bit more information on the embryo quality?

Offline janieliz

modify
    « Reply #52 on: 16/02/15, 13:04 »
    Hi Briss,

It really is a difficult one with regards to transfer day. I decided prior to my cycle that I would go for day 5. I don't think Serum do day 2 transfers but I could have had a day 3. On day 3 the embryologist said that they were happy to try for day 5 and I was feeling brave with two! I think you do have more information about the embryo if you wait till day 5. If I was to do it again, I would aim for day 5 again, if its going to make it in the lab hopefully it will make in the uterus. I think that with natural IVF we know we may have to have a few goes so if you haven't tried a day 5 transfer before, I would go for it especially if your clinic are supportive of this- hopefully though you won't need it and this cycle will be your BFP.

x

Offline Briss

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #53 on: 16/02/15, 13:10 »
    janieliz, thanks! that makes sense. I guess there is also a logistical issue since I go abroad for my EC/ET. theoretically I could return to London on the evening of EC and come back for 5 day transfer, additional flights will probably cost the same as staying a few extra days at a hotel but I would not need to take as many days off work  (which is always a huge issue particularly when I need it every month). tricky

Offline Altai

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #54 on: 16/02/15, 13:53 »
    hi ladies,

Briss - hope you'd make the most convenient decision for you as to the ET day.
    I've just had my Japanese mini ivf cycle, got 5 eggs, all mature. I was over the moon - I get around 4-5 mature eggs with 450u stimms. But then 1 fertilised abnormally, so got 4 embryos, 3 remained on D3.
    I was planning to do embryo banking. Unfortunately doesn't look like EB is going to start this cycle.   
     Had 1 transferred on D3, the remaining 2 have slowed after D3. I still don't know their progress but tbh not hopeful as D5 quality wasn't good for freezing or  transfer.

You may end up with nothing to transfer but at the same time as embryos didn't make to D5, then perhaps wouldn't have made it in the uterus but there is no way knowing.

I think I will do the same for the next cycle- return to London evening day of EC and if (once again) quality not suitable for freezing, then return D5 for ET.

Janieliz - well done on 2 eggs on natural.

good luck to all for the next goes.

KR

A.

Offline Briss

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #55 on: 16/02/15, 14:54 »
    Altai, 5 eggs sounds great! I know you are disappointed you could not do EB this time but at last you had one transferred so who knows maybe you won't need EB after this cycle. I hope you will get your bfp and hopefully those two embies will still be good enough for freezing for next time.
    I agree with you that if you wait for day 5 transfer you may end up with nothing to transfer but the embryos that didn't make it to D5, probably wouldn't have made it in the uterus anyway even if you transfer them earlier. It's a bit of a gamble.

have you had assisted hatching? My German doctor said it's just a money making technique, there are very rare cases where the outer layer it too thick that require AH and most other situation it's just not called for. My Czech doctor was of the same opinion but I know some clinics routinely do AH on most embryos.

Offline Altai

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #56 on: 16/02/15, 21:33 »
    Briss- no I won't be doing assisted hatching. My plan is (or was) to do EB and then PGS all embryos I could get.  I've been  kicking myself for not doing that earlier and keeping transferring all embryos. But the reality is - I may not even get  anything to freeze and hence to test.....
    I 'll give it another go with the same protocol and hopefully will get better results.

I think it's disappointing to have nothing to transfer as if cycle completely wasted.
    Plus even if embryo/s would survive till D5, would you still transfer if quality is not good?

In my case - the clinic didn't suggest to come back  for D5 transfer and to be honest I don't think I'd as embryos are/ were low quality even though they survived till D5.

Have y decided on your ET?

Good luck hope all goes to plan

Offline LuckyE

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #57 on: 16/02/15, 21:47 »
    congratulations Briss and Altai on being Pupo xx

But I'm sorry your description of EC sounded just gruesome. I have heard of some ladies doing EC without sedation and their stories have never been that bad. But I am  ^pray^ ^pray^ that this egg is the one. I think with natural it's just a numbers game. I wish I could go somewhere cheap!

Briss, I have heard of some clinics who just do day 2 transfers. I think there are some in the states. They must have their scientific evidence. But I've also heard that clinics do day 2 cos they fear that they'll have nothing to transfer so they can blame the woman as to why there was no BFP (very cynical I know but that's what I've read).

Offline Briss

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #58 on: 16/02/15, 22:10 »
    Altai, I am not sure how important embryo grading is actually. it's just morphology, isn't it? even if an embryo is not looking that great morphologically, it can still be chromosomal sound and make a perfect baby, is it not?

Lucky, re EC, it was really strange cos I had EC without sedation before and even though it was painful it was nothing like this time. she tried twice: once for each follicle and that was it but this time they were trying again and again to reach that left follicle and she even asked for a different doctor who finally managed after two more tries but that was just out of this world pain wise. she had to hold me cos I started to shake. anyway, I clearly see benefits of sedation now. My ovaries are probably just too sensitive, I usually feel ovulation and follicles growing.

Our czech clinic does day 2 or day 3 transfer but I could not understand how they decide which is it. maybe just convenience. It was actually the first time that I was offered to consider which day I want the transfer and I was not prepared cos I am so used to day 2 transfer. all opinions and info is welcome.

Offline gpk

modify
    « Reply #59 on: 17/02/15, 09:19 »
    Congratulations to Briss and Altai on PUPO.

@ janieliz : Sorry, for the delay in responding. I had EC on Sunday.
    It was bit disastraous. I had been sedated, but they said, I started coughing during EC. They could only get 1 egg out of 3.
    Then they said, I will be given mild sedation and they try removing other 2 !. I cannot imagine this !.
    Finally they collected 3. Got a call yesterday, 2 fertlilised, but one of them was abnormal. So I wait for today, reg one left.

I am thinking, if there was damage while removal, that has caused this :(