* Author Topic: 1 Ovary = low AMH?  (Read 1772 times)

0 Members

Offline AnnaMathilde

• Un-Ranked
modify
1 Ovary = low AMH?
« on: 8/01/15, 09:38 »
Hi,

I have a question, and I cant find anything about it on the internet. I only have 1 ovary. I had an ectopic pregnancy a few months ago they found out that I was born with only 1 tube and 1 ovary. Does this mean that my AMH would always be lower than if I had 2 ovaries? I have low AMH, and even thinking about that sets me into a panic... but does that mean that, because my AMH level is based on only 1 ovary, I should double the score to make it comparable to any statistics??? I hope that makes sense, and just am very curious if anybody knows, has any thoughts about this....

Thanks,

:) :) :)

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline janieliz

modify
    1 Ovary = low AMH?
    « Reply #1 on: 8/01/15, 10:09 »
    Hi,

I'm afraid I can't give you any concrete answers but can you give you what I have learnt so far. I had an ovarian ectopic and had my most of my left ovary removed when I was 30. I did not know this at the time and now aged 36 I am embarking on natural cycle IVF as I did not respond to a stimulated cycle. I have read that women with one ovary tend to have higher FSH levels - I guess with only one working this makes sense. This can mean you are harder to stimulate with conventional IVF treatment - like I found out. I only have 3 follicles so natural IVF seems my only option at the moment - although long protocol could be an option but I worry that my poor ovary won't know whats hit it. With regards to quality, it doesn't mean anything as far as I am aware. It just means we have less eggs. I don't know if any of that helps, its just my experience so far.

x

Offline AnnaMathilde

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    1 Ovary = low AMH?
    « Reply #2 on: 8/01/15, 10:31 »
    Thank you! I am also interested in natural IVF. I am currently on my first IVF experience/cycle and its low/moderate/light... (I am having difficulties with understanding all these different terminologies... are they all the same???). Basically I am on a long protocol (I think) as I took BCP for 10 days, then Estrogen pills for a week, and started stimulating with Clomid and low dose Menopur 13 days ago. At my last scan I had only 1 follicle of 10mm (3 days ago). So now I am thinking that maybe natural cycle would be better for me. I agree, that I feel like these drugs may not do my ovaries any good... natural feels best... With drugs I have headaches, sweats, moodswings and 1 follicle. and without drugs I also ovulate generally every month... so what's the point?

Another advantage I was thinking of for a natural cycle... With the moderate/low IVF, you can do back to back cycles, freeze them and then after 3 or so EC cycles, you can do a transfer. What if the first frozen egg from the first cycle and would give you the lucky BFP? Then you have gone through 2 more cycles with drugs and stress etc... with a natural cycle you could transfer each cycle, if it doesn't take than you move to the next cycle without any delays... Or am I thinking too simplistic here? Would your ovaries not a lot of time to recover after EC?

After trying almost 2 years, I fell pregnant naturally after I completely tuned into my "fertility awareness". The book "it all starts with the egg" is just the best on the market, I also used DuoFertility, took away all toxins from my daily/domestic life, took a much more holistic approach, herbs, natural stimulators, acupuncture, counseling. It worked (though ectopic). I think there is a lot to say for going as natural as possible... and taking out all this "noise" that can be so counterproductive.

Thank you for the FSH information. That is really great to hear as you always worry about high levels. I didn't know that the lack of the ovary could influence. You just give me a little more chance on the general stats! thanks

When are you thinking of starting your natural IVF? Where will you do it? I am in Spain because I live in France (my husband is french).

:) :) :)

Offline janieliz

modify
    1 Ovary = low AMH?
    « Reply #3 on: 8/01/15, 11:09 »
    Hi,
    The long protocol is where you down reg and then you take stimulation drugs. In my very limited understanding, it puts you into a temporary menopause and kind of puts your hormones back to 0. This means that when you start the stimulation drugs there isn't a leading follicle. When your FSH is elevated you respond less to stims and can have a leading follicle that takes most of the stimulation drugs. it kind of gives you a blank slate. Some clinics I have spoken to recommend this for poor responders, others natural cycle IVF.

It sounds like you are on the Japanese style mini IVF which they use for banking, small amount of stims and as clomid can effect your lining hence having the FET later on down the line. I have read that oestrogen can bring FSH levels down so that might be why they are giving you that prior to the treatment, but maybe someone else can help with that. Clinics can also use BCP's for the timing of the cycle as well. If you ovulate every month, the natural cycle is an option. However, there are some issues with it. I am opting for the natural modified where I will have a very small dose of stims and also hopefully cetrozide so that will stop me ovulating naturally, then trigger. I think some of the issues with the natural cycle is that you can ovulate before egg collection. The other potential issue is having something to transfer. Only having one egg makes it pretty precarious! But, in my last short protocol I only had one egg and I think that is probably all I am going to produce so I am of the opinion that I may as well work with what I have!

That's great you fell pregnant naturally, maybe this gentle IVF approach is all you need then.

I am starting next week in Greece and I am quite nervous about it all but trying to break it down into manageable chunks. There seems to be lots of margin for error but I think everyone feels like that!

x