* Author Topic: Scriblet's arrival (induced, pethidine)  (Read 2267 times)

0 Members

Offline scribbles

modify
Scriblet's arrival (induced, pethidine)
« on: 21/01/15, 08:13 »
Due to the joys of being married to a squaddie, I was booked in to be induced at 39 weeks so that DH would be home for Her birth before going away.

I arrived at the hospital at 8pm and given propess at 11pm. From an initial check my cervix was still posterior but about 1cm. The midwife said that they would check ME after 24 hours as I didn't look anywhere near close to labour (hahahaha!!)

I woke up at 1am with period pains and could only get comfortable sitting upright with my legs off the bed. After a couple of paracetamol I managed to sleep until 6am. The period pains continued and I was put on monitor to see if I was having contractions. Lo and behold I was having contractions every 7 minutes but my cervix was still at 1cm.

DH arrived at 10am and we decided that a few laps of the hospital plus a tour of the staircases might help things along. By 2pm I was having contractions every 4 minutes and they were getting stronger but all I was offered was codeine as my cervix had only got to 2cm!! By 6pm I was in agony and desperate for pain relief but was only allowed more codeine as the midwives didn't think I could have been any further along. I was moved to a side room as apparently my agony was upsetting the other women in the ward and put on a monitor again for 20 mins to assess if I could be allowed pethidine. The codeine had long worn off and I was just having wave after wave of agony. Finally the pethidine arrived and I floated in to an opiate haze hallucinating about my labrador being in the room and being in a swimming pool (yep, no idea where that came from!). All was trippy and floaty until the morphine sought it's revenge and I started throwing up everywhere! The opiate haze remained but it's painkilling ability started to wear off and I was in agony again. The midwife hooked ME up to a monitor again and realised how strong and frequent my contractions were. Apparently I was only groaning so they didn't think the contractions were that bad!

A check of my cervix at 11pm revealed I was 8.5cm and rapidly wheeled off to the labour ward with me in a panic because I knew I couldn't have an epidural as there wouldn't be time (didn't stop me requesting one frequently and loudly all the way to the delivery room!). I was given gas and air and sucked it for all it was worth!!!
At the precise stroke of midnight on 19/01/15, Sophie Matilda arrived pink, perfect and hungry! She weighed 6lbs 7oz and with a beautiful mop of black hair.

I had a few stitches and came off relatively Scott free. I adore my beautiful daughter and thank God for her safe arrival into the world. I just wish I hadn't been so wasted on pethidine so I could have been more alert when she was put on my chest for the first time. I remember the midwife saying "say hello to your daughter then" as if I was a bad mother for not acknowledging her. The pethidine haze stayed until the following morning so I feel like I missed out on those first few hours of bonding. I don't think any of the midwives expected Sophie to arrive within 24 hours of being induced so they didn't check me as often.

My beautiful little miracle girl is currently asleep in my arms and I love her so much. we are bonding every day and figuring each other out gradually. I'm gutted to have missed that instant rush of love and being too spaced out to acknowledge her arrival but we have the rest of our lives together and I am completely in love.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline bundles

• Volunteer
    • Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so ! D.Adams
    modify
    Scriblet's arrival (induced, pethidine)
    « Reply #1 on: 21/01/15, 08:23 »
    Lovely news Scribbles  ^hugme^ huge congratulations & welcome little Sophie
    xx

Offline Artypants

• Volunteer