* Author Topic: BFP - due date September/October 2015  (Read 112305 times)

0 Members

Offline 100480

• Gold Member
modify
BFP - due date September/October 2015
« Reply #900 on: 7/07/15, 10:03 »
Morning ladies, I've been reading all your posts although not posting.

Things my end are ok - no more bloody discharge since the other week, and have been feeling plenty of movement (some pretty painful if baby kicks hard in the wrong place!) I have my 28 week midwife check next week, and we're booked in for a private 4D scan this Sunday  :) it'll have been over 7 weeks since we last saw baby, and after the blood & not feeling many movements, I feel the need even stronger to see my baby before EDD! So really looking forward to that! I keep getting lots of comments on how I'm waddling already and I've still got 3 months to go! :-[ :)

Wolfy, glad you'll get the jab done. My understanding is that the NHS like it done before 32 weeks to give it the longest time to provide the best protection, but it'll still do it's job ok after this time  :) hope your placenta has moved for at your scan.

I feel sorry for you all who are saying about cramps, sleeping bad because of the heat, swelling etc. I seem to be coping perfectly fine, which I'm finding strange, other than the daily nosebleeds which are becoming a tad annoying as they like to happen at the worst time! I've not been feeling hot during the day even through the heatwave we've had! So I'm feeling quite thankful!

Glad to hear everyone's scans and appointments are going well  :) in no time at all we'll all be posting birth announcements on here!! Eek!! As I don't need to buy anything extra for new baby, I've been focusing on buying a toddler bed & wall sticker decoration for when my daughter is turfed out of the nursery to her own room at the end of the year! So that's been kind of exciting, although not as exciting as newborn baby clothes shopping!

Have a good week ladies xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Conker

modify
    « Reply #901 on: 7/07/15, 10:27 »
    Hi there

Purple saw your post and just had to say hi!!  Was so please when I read about you being prego at the beginig of the year, after everything you've been through it was so nice to know you got there.  Not sure if you remember me, we met in Greece end of 2013, I may have been posting as Honey x at the time (have had to change my name on here due to stalkie friend).  Anyway we eventually got there too and I'm 26 weeks now and due mid October.  Really hope alls going well for you hun.

I do read the thread but haven't really posted on here so hi to everyone else, is it just me or does time go REALLY slowly when you're pregnant?

Conker xx

Offline 100480

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #902 on: 7/07/15, 12:20 »
    Hi Conker, I found time went really slowly at the beginning, but since 2p weeks it feels to me like it's rushing past! Have been very busy recently so that's helped time pass quickly. When's your EDD? Your BFP I see from your signature was only 2 days after my OTD so you must be due nearly same date as me  :) xx

Offline Conker

modify
    « Reply #903 on: 7/07/15, 18:00 »
    Hey MM my otd is 12th October but consultant has said I have to be induced at 39 weeks so guess itll be slightly earlier.  I'm told this is standard practice for ivf pregnancies at my local hospital, is everyone else being induced?  Am keeping fingers crossed my little one puts in a natural apperance just before as would much rather have a natural birth but will go with whatever I'm told for bubs safety obviously xx

Offline 100480

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #904 on: 7/07/15, 18:46 »
    Oh I've never heard of that before. I know different areas treat IVF pregnancies differently, as when I was pregnant with my daughter in 2012/2013, you were automatically put under consultant-led care but that's now been removed from the list as once you're pregnant, it's exactly the same as a natural pregnancy. If you were to be induced early or have extra scans etc that would normally be down to medical issues, age issues etc with you or the baby. I'd question it next time you speak to your consultant - as long as you and baby are both perfectly healthy, there is absolutely no reason for early induction as your labour should be treated the same as a natural, straightforward pregnancy and labour xx

Offline carrie lou

• Volunteer
    • Thankful to our donor for the most wonderful gifts
    modify
    « Reply #905 on: 7/07/15, 19:11 »
    Sorry to jump in here ladies but I was told the same as melissamummy. With my little boy they would not induce me even at 40 weeks unless there was a clear medical reason to do so. My Dr said there are considerable risks with inducing you before term (I.e your body not being ready etc) and they wouldn't do it unless the benefits outweighed these risks. IVF pregnancy in itself is not a good enough reason to induce you.  ^hugme^

Offline WolfyOne

modify
    « Reply #906 on: 7/07/15, 19:11 »
    Welcome conker  ;D ^hugme^ I know that in our area, IVF pregnancies are induced dead-on 40wks. To be fair, one of my friends didn't let her hospital know it was an IVF pregnancy, went almost 2wks over and ended up having to have an emergency c-section, then had haemorrhaging and required further surgery and transfusion. This was just this weekend gone. I don't know if the probs were linked to letting an IVF preg go so far over, but it may have had an impact.

Mel enjoy your 4d scan!

Scan today showed placenta is moving away from my cervix now, so no further scan required. Measurements all around 50 percentile which is good, weighing in at 4lb1oz. Also got confirmation we are team pink - they showed us the "girly lines"  ;D ;D

Offline 100480

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #907 on: 7/07/15, 19:18 »
    Wolfy, I'd say it's extremely unlikely that your friend's problems were linked to IVF at all. If the IVF had caused any pregnancy issues with baby or mum, they would have been picked up in the scans. Even natural pregnancies can have many issues during labour so she was most likely just one of the unlucky ones, poor thing. There's so much research out there now on all types of pregnancies that I'm sure if IVF did increase chances of problems during/after labour all IVF pregnancies would be induced early. The placenta starts breaking down at or around 42 weeks which is why no-one in most countries are allowed to go over 42 weeks - your friend's placenta may have started breaking down as she was reaching 42 weeks, and that's what caused the bleeding? Glad your scan all went well and the sex has been confirmed again! I'm really looking forward to the 4D scan. It says they can't help if you accidentally see the gender parts and don't want to, and part of me is secretly hoping I'll get a glimpse!! Still perfectly happy to wait until birth but I am intrigued! Xx

Offline purplepeak

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #908 on: 7/07/15, 20:06 »
    Conker my dear it is truly lovely to hear from you and find out you are pg. I am so happy for you! Big congratulations  ^hugme^

On the IVF induction issue, my hospital routinely suggest induction for ivf pregs at 40 weeks. However I am strongly considering turning this down and asking to be monitored instead ie that they keep checking teh placenta to make sure it is functioning well. For the following reasons:
    1. lots of hospitals do not do this. It's a question of individual hosp protocols.
    2. the NICE guidelines do not give this as a valid reason for induction. See http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg70/ifp/chapter/Why-you-might-be-offered-induction
    3. the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists state explicitly that there is no evidence it is helpful, and also that the case in which it might be helpful (but research hasnt been done yet) is if your treatment involved PGS specifically. https://www.rcog.org.uk/en/guidelines-research-services/guidelines/kleihauer-test-in-antepartum-haemorrhage---query-bank1/
    4. induction is worth the risk for some women but it does carry its own risks. Because the contractions might be stronger or closer together than in a natural birth, there is a risk of foetal distress ie lack of oxygen to the baby (which is why induction is more likely than natural birth to end in emergency C-section). I don't wish to worry anyone having an induction, as teh risk is tiny and you will be monitored, however it is not entirely risk-free so I don't think I will do it unless someone offers me some good evidence about the risks of not doing it. AIMS publish a book layiing out the advantages and risks of induction (although not mentioning ivf) http://www.aims.org.uk/pubs3.htm#inducingLabour
    5. my intuition just tells me that natural is likely to be better for baby as well as me. At least at 39 or 40 weeks. I'd rethink at 41 weeks or so as there does seem to be some evidence for not going too far in preg, hence induction offered to everyone at 42 weeks.
    6. two consultants mentioned this policy to me and they gave different reasons for it, completely contradicting each other.  (one said ivf pregs greater risk, teh other said teh risk was exactly teh same but in our case tehy have firm evidence of exact day of conception)

I absolutely am not trying to convince anyone. It's a hugely personal decision and I havent made my own mind up yet anyway. But some of the above might be of interest to anyone considering the decision.

Hi to everyone.

XX

/links

Offline mrshayleycarpenter

modify
    « Reply #909 on: 7/07/15, 21:09 »
    Hi ladies!!

Have been reading all the posts in regards to IVF pregnancies and being induced.  Myself and hubby have been having discussions in regards to baby's birth and choices.  Our main concern is safety as well as having a choice about what happens when it comes down to our baby's birth.  In addition, in recent weeks I have heard nothing but absolute horror stories in regards to friends of my family and my own family going through the most horrendous natural births and ending up with having reconstructive surgery.  My cousin had to have 2 separate reconstructive procedures from the birth of her first child, and a close friend of my sisters ended up with 200 stitches (yes ladies - 200!!) after the birth of her 3rd child and then extensive reconstruction. 

Whilst I am not saying for one second that I want to wimp out and take the easy option, but it does leave me feeling a little uneasy about the whole thing.  Some hospitals seem to be hellbent on 'letting nature do it's thing' and sod what Mum wants or what is best.  But hubby's main concern is that he just wants both me and the baby that we have fought so hard for and waiting so long for (as we all have) to be safe, and therefore we are considering speaking to the consultant about having a c-section.  Have been doing alot of reading about the pro's and con's of having this done versus natural birth and am still considering this. 

How do you ladies feel about this?  I have a consultant appointment next week so going to raise it then.  However, I have a feeling that they are just going to try and fob me off with an experienced professional and try to talk me out of it.

:-\ :-\