* Author Topic: BFP - due date September/October 2015  (Read 112177 times)

0 Members

Offline Conker

modify
BFP - due date September/October 2015
« Reply #910 on: 7/07/15, 22:38 »
Thanks for the welcome ladies :-)

Really interesting to hear everyone opinions and experience of birthing. Purple thanks for listng all the studies you've researched, I'm definitely gonna be doing some reading round induction and other options. I know the consultant I'm under is very pro IVF induction, she didn't go too in depth just said there is evidence that the placenta seems to fail earlier with ivf pregnancies. Think maybe I'll be asking for proof of this as would definitely prefer to avoid. I know induction often leads into further medical intervention but I didn't know it could potentially harm the bub!!

Hayley I have wondered if going for the sunroof option could be better but I know my consultant would never agree without a medical need. Although I have read the nice guidelines say you should be given an elective CS if you're adamant that's what you want. Hope your consultant is open to helping you have the birth you want  which ever way you decide to go.  xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline ♥ Bambi ♥

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #911 on: 7/07/15, 23:55 »
    Saddened that some of you have so little confidence in your bodies. Childbirth (& breastfeeding) is what we were made for...it's natural, intense & beautiful.
    As for induction-remember no one can force you. it's your choice-your pregnancy, your body, your baby x

Offline Conker

modify
    « Reply #912 on: 8/07/15, 08:13 »
    Bambi I think this is a very personal choice, everyones opinions are shaped by their own life experience.  We're all going to want to do the best for our bubs and ourselves and just because we come up with different choices doesn't make these choices any less valid than anyone else's. xx

Offline mrshayleycarpenter

modify
    « Reply #913 on: 8/07/15, 08:25 »
    Bambi - I have to agree with Conker on this one.  It's all about personal choice and doing what we all feel is right for us and our precious little ones.  I agree 100% that childbirth is a magical experience as is pregnancy itself.  I never imagined that I would ever be lucky enough or my body would allow me to be in the position of having my own baby so I am already experiencing a wonderful kind of magic.  But sometimes things do go wrong and have massive repercussions for the future.  As for me, I am trying to weigh up all options for myself, my husband and my baby and use as many outlets as I can for advice.  Hence posing the question to all you lovely ladies who are on this most magical journey at the same time as I am.  xx 

Offline ssltw

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #914 on: 8/07/15, 09:20 »
    It's interesting hearing that some of you have been told that you may be induced due to having an IVF pregnancy. My hospital has said that my pregnancy is treated the same as any other, so I'm midwife led instead of consultant and if baby continues to develop as he/she should then they see no reason to induce early. As far as they're concerned I had IVF because getting pregnant was the problem, not the pregnancy itself! I guess time will tell  :)

Offline purplepeak

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #915 on: 8/07/15, 09:39 »
    Conker, if your consultant points you to any evidence about placenta failure, please can you pass it on? I am a bit doubtful about it, especially for ivf related to male-factor (would it in that case be the treatment itself which would affect the viability of placenta?), but I want to know if I'm wrong!

It's good to read all these different views, ladies. For me, unless my baby's or my safety means a c-section is necessary, I want to have the experience of childbirth and hope for it to be magical. And I feel I don't want a doc to remove my baby for me, perhaps because of how medicalised the conception was. But at least one of my friends who had a difficult birth experience thinks that's mad and I am naive! I know this is very personal and people feel differently about it. If you def want a c-section, I think no consultant can actually say no, if you point to the nice guidelines stating your right. Maybe they might make you sign something saying they advised against it but you wanted it? Or, if you want a vaginal birth, I am finding a hypnobirthing CD (I'm using the Maggie Howell one) has made me feel relatively relaxed and confident about it so I'd recommend that if you like that sort of thing. Personally I've also hired a lovely doula who is a retired midwife, so I know me and dh won't be left alone at any point when we might be wondering if what's happening is what's meant to be happening, and we'll have someone who is a calm supportive presence whom we've met before. I want to be able to concentrate on birthing without needing to analyse too much.

XX

Offline Turia

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #916 on: 8/07/15, 10:54 »
    Hi everyone
    Interesting chat!  I had my first consultant appointment at 16 weeks and was basically told "we want you to have a section".  Because of my age, high bmi and of course it's an IVF baby, puts me at high risk.  To be honest, I just agreed outright which I think surprised her.  My 2 cousins and sister all had emergency sections and I would much rather have it planned than take that risk.  I'm certainly aware that c-sections are not necessarily the easy option, especially as it has a longer recovery period.

However it hasn't been discussed since - at what stage do you start discussing birth plans and c-section dates in more detail?

Turia x

Offline mrshayleycarpenter

modify
    « Reply #917 on: 8/07/15, 11:06 »
    Hi Turia,

I believe (and according to the Antenatal Care Record) discussions in regards to birth plans and options should start to take place on or around the 34 week mark.  Not sure if that is the same for everyone and could be dependent on your health authority.  I know that is what is laid out for me, and I will also be discussing options with my consultant next week aswell.  From what I have read, the earlier you start thinking about it yourself, and let your feelings be known as to what you want, the better.

Hope that helps.

xx :)

Offline trina123

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #918 on: 8/07/15, 11:16 »
    Last week i was in hospital with gallstones and saw alot of ladies who had c sections they was in alot of pain and found it hard to tend to they babies one lady i have stayed in contact with she now has a infection so i want normal birth the chances of things going wrong are slim and i will recover better my hospital treats ivf ladies same as other ladies

Offline purplepeak

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #919 on: 8/07/15, 11:27 »
    On the other hand I know people who had c-sections who recovered really well, although of course there is always going to be a scar to heal and restrictions for a while on driving, picking things up etc. I guess that with both c-section and vaginal birth you can be lucky or unlucky in terms of how much it affects you afterwards.