* Author Topic: BFP - due date September/October 2015  (Read 112181 times)

0 Members

Offline che1182

modify
BFP - due date September/October 2015
« Reply #920 on: 8/07/15, 11:55 »
Hi All,

Funny how we all go quiet for ages and then the next thing you know theres pages and pages to catch up on!

I was told from early on from my fibroid prof that an elective csection was recommended. My obstetrician did not agree to start with (down to cost i expect! sorry for my cynicism!!!) but after a discussion with my prof he was told it was the safest option to deliver my miracle baby, something that he himself thought was an impossibility therefore he has a vested interest in everything going smoothly!. Scarring and more fibroids leave my womb hugely at risk. At last growth scan they have now discovered my womb is literally separated in two by a big chunk of scarring. This is blocking the exit so to speak so now we all have no choice on the matter, and an elective csection it is. Poor baby has an annexe it cannot get to! I'm a little concerned about this but they are hopeful that once it is stronger it may push through (the scar is like a big cone shape).

I have had mixed emotions regarding the csection so can see both sides of the discussion. Mrs HC - my hubby feels exactly the same and agreed with prof from the start - why risk all the things that can go wrong, when you have had such a miracle in the first place, and are in a position that you never ever thought you would be lucky enough to be in. He told me, in no uncertain terms, he was not having myself or the baby put at risk. For me, I really did want to try a normal delivery, not only because this is the most natural thing in the world - but because I was told that every month my womb was literally in labour trying to push out my fibroids.........I wanted to see if the pain compared! I've watched too much OBEM, and seen the emotion following a natural birth compared to cold medical csections which just seem so emotionless. For this reason I am intent on as natural a csection as possible. I don't want the screen (much to my husbands fear and disgust!) and I was delayed cord clamping. As you can imagine this is going down like a pair of iron knickers with the midwife!!!! Theres a really good you tube vid called 'the natural csection' take a look - I was very inspired. Bambi - regarding our feelings of our bodies, I would probably say that each and every one of us lost complete faith with our bodies the day we discovered we were sub fertile. While I have 'made up' with mine somewhat for providing me with this miracle, I still often wonder why it had to put me through all of that in the first place, when so many other women sail through life and conception. I think those emotions never leave, and maybe that is the reason that some are so scared of labour.

Anyway - I feel like I'm babbling on now, but I just wanted to say - its by no means 'an easy option' and comes with different pros and cons, at the end of the day what is right for you and your body and your baby is what is important.

With love,

Chell xxx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Turia

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #921 on: 8/07/15, 12:16 »
    Thanks Mrs HC - I have a consultant appointment at 28 weeks and 32 weeks so will ask at the latter.
    Turia x

Offline ssltw

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #922 on: 8/07/15, 12:31 »
    On birth plans - I think that in my notes it says that you should start thinking about this at 36 weeks. I think the midwife then goes through this at the 38 week appointment, which seems quite late to me! I have my hospital antenatal class on Saturday (when I'll be 33 weeks!) so will see what they say then  :)

Offline mrshayleycarpenter

modify
    « Reply #923 on: 8/07/15, 12:43 »
    Hi Chell,

Just read your lovely post.  I was worried my first post would seem as if I was trying to find an easy option and escape the pain of labour and birth.  On the contrary - I am not afraid of the pain itself (had surgical pain more times that I want to remember so not scared from that angle) and want to have faith that my body can and will do what it has been built to do.  But (as both our husbands seem to be of the same mind!) we have had such a rollercoaster journey to achieve our little miracles, why risk it all?  They want to be the proud husbands and fathers returning home with a healthy wife and baby on their arms.  Also, I just want both me and my baby to be safe and healthy too.  I too watch OBEM and the whole process is magical I agree.  But for every magical birth, there are always the ones which don't go as smoothly and as magical, and the repercussions for the future are great.  So for me (and hubby) its about protecting what we have now and also our future.

So for me, the journey to find out as much information as I can about all my options begins so I can be informed and know that whichever decision I make is balanced and the right one.  I will have a look at the video that you have suggested.

xx

Offline 100480

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #924 on: 8/07/15, 12:48 »
    Obviously you have to listen to any advice you are told for your own circumstances, and go for whichever option is strongly advised for you or whichever option you feel happiest about. The worst choice is feeling forced into a birth option you aren't 100% comfortable with, which may stress you, and in turn stress the baby out. One thing to bear in mind I think is that I know someone, and have read several articles over the years, how c-sections can (rarely, but can) cause scarring that affects future fertility i.e. embryos can't implant into the lining, don't stay implanted etc. So I'd certainly only have a c-section if absolutely necessary or strongly advised. We all had enough trouble getting pregnant, so if you're planning on trying for a sibling, bear the c-section affects in mind as not one of us needs another possible fertility issue added to our lists! P.s. a natural birth doesn't always guarantee a quick recovery either - I had to have 1 stitch with my daughter, and I was hobbling around and struggling to sit for 2 weeks afterwards. I swear it was more painful than the actual childbirth itself - especially when it was time to pee!!  ??? Lovely to hear from so many of you - as Chell said, we all went quiet and the thread's now exploded with talk!  ;D xxx

modify
    « Reply #925 on: 8/07/15, 13:18 »
    Chell - have just watched the video you suggested and it looks amazing!!  A surgical procedure but with real involvement of Mum!!  I think I will be speaking to the consultant about this and see if this is something which my hospital can offer.  I can't see any difference surgically from a normal c-section - it is just that the screen is brought down once baby's head is out and Mum is propped up a little so she can see her beautiful baby come into the world.  I think it is fabulous and will be showing hubby when he gets home from work this evening.  I think he might object a little as he is worried about being a little squeamish  when it comes to the birth!! 

Thank you so much for telling about the video.  It has certainly inspired me and also shown me that whilst it is an operation, it can be altered to make it that much more of a personal experience and magical in its own right.

xx

Offline 100480

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #926 on: 8/07/15, 13:52 »
    Naughty flygirl!!  ;D it can invalidate your insurance if you drive before 6 weeks after your c-section! Most insurers require you to wait that long and may even require a GP's note saying you're fit to drive after your section so it's worth checking with your insurer. That's something else to bear in mind if you can avoid a section - I don't know how I'd cope not driving for 6 weeks, I'd end up totally housebound! Xx

Offline che1182

modify
    « Reply #927 on: 8/07/15, 14:01 »
    No worries Mrs HC - I could sense how you felt it had been taken - I'm a bit witchy like that!

Flygirl - no decision for me now - out of my hands and definite csection because my womb just cannot behave.

MelissaM - They have warned me that due to the extensive adhesions I already have that the csection will be extremely difficult to do. For me, this is my first and last baby I know that. I think they were trying to prepare me for worst case scenario and loosing my womb - for all it has put me through this would not be the worst thing for me. But yes for Mrs HC - future fertility may well be important and this is something to consider - although saying that my friend is about to have her third csection so it has not had any detrimental affect on her at all (and she only had one tube! such awesome ladies we all are!!!)

xxx

modify
    « Reply #928 on: 8/07/15, 14:03 »
    I was under the impression that you couldn't drive for the first 6 weeks after a c-section full stop, but alot of the reading I have done indicates that you can do most things (including driving) as soon as you feel well enough and comfortable.  I think most places (certainly the ones I have read) recommend that you call your insurer for advice prior to driving again as some may or may not either say that you can't until you have had your postnatal appointment, or you can but they may put in restrictions until you have had that appointment. 

I am the same - I live in a small village so would be completely housebound if I couldn't drive.  I am lucky though that my Mum lives in the same village so if I wanted to escape I can let her drive and use the walk to her house as an excuse for exercise. 

Offline 100480

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #929 on: 8/07/15, 14:22 »
    Flygirl I'm glad your insurance company didn't care! Makes a change for them not to look for any excuse to invalidate any claim you may need to make which costs them money!

Mrshayleycarpenter, I think until recently it was the DVLA's rules that no woman could drive until after her 6 week post-birth docs appointment, but that's changed aa so many women feel fine to drive after about 2 or 3 weeks, and the GP agrees that the wound has healed sufficiently. I think it's mostly down to driving causing pain which may make driving awkward, or any pain meds you may be on affecting your driving. Best speak to your insurer before birth to check their policy, and then call your GP for a check up as soon as you feel fit to drive afterbirth. That way you're covered from every angle incase you need to make a claim with your insurers  :) all my family live an hour away, and although they'll come to see me a few days or a week after birth, it's likely I'll want to drive and see them all again when baby is about 3 or 4 weeks old, so I'd be lost without being able to drive  :-\

Chell glad to hear a c-section definitely won't cause you any future fertility problems. Thank god your womb has behaved enough to give you one miracle  :)