* Author Topic: NOT Telling the child, Chat/Support thread  (Read 83864 times)

0 Members

Offline Fox Gloves

• Mum to 2 gorgeous little people
modify
NOT Telling the child, Chat/Support thread
« Reply #190 on: 17/04/16, 07:53 »
Hi, Tomtom -- yes, Harmony will still work if you don't declare your use of DE. The reason it wasn't approved to be marketed for twins or DE singletons was just due to a lack of accumulated empirical evidence for these categories, which is understandable as they account for a small fraction of all pregnancies. They're not comparing the baby's DNA to yours for similarities, they only need to be able to distinguish the baby's DNA from yours (which obviously they can do as the baby's not your clone). The thing with doing Harmony with twins is that if you get a high-risk result, you won't know which baby is high-risk, or if both are high-risk. But a low-risk result will apply to both babies.

Just for others reading this thread, this wasn't the case for me. I had a harmony test and didn't disclose that I had used DE (when asked I stated I had used OE) and my test came back as failed. I spoke to the senior lab technician and she explained that DNA was found in my blood which was not mine and was not my babies. She said this would happen with DE or possibly a vanishing twin. Since I had not disclosed DE we went with vanishing twin but personally I will always wonder. If I was ever in the same position, for the harmony only I would be honest.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline bombsh3ll

• Gold Member
    • 50% science, 50% prayer, 100% love.
    modify
    « Reply #191 on: 17/04/16, 10:18 »
    That's really interesting about the foreign DNA in your blood FG - I can't see where else that would come from other than a vanished multiple. Using DE doesn't explain DNA being there that doesn't belong to either you or your baby.

I wonder how long DNA from a previous pregnancy or miscarriage hangs around & if this could be another explanation for it which also isn't specific to using DE?

B xxx

Offline Fox Gloves

modify
    « Reply #192 on: 17/04/16, 19:36 »
    I know, I was really shocked! I did have 2 embies put back so it's possible it was that but the lab technician did say it would also happen with DE so I just wanted to warn others just in case. Also I had very high levels of fetal Dna in my blood.

I haven't told my hospital or anyone else about DE though and all has been fine. X

Offline Orchid-1

• Gold Member
    • Have courage to follow your heart and intuition...
    modify
    « Reply #193 on: 18/04/16, 10:52 »
    Thank you ladies for the information.

In that case maybe doing the harmony privately would be an option for me. x

Offline rednick

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #194 on: 17/05/16, 21:58 »
    Can someone please tell me how to join the private discussion board for not telling support?
    Thanks

Offline HMF

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #195 on: 18/05/16, 06:31 »
    Red Nick I'd like to join also x

Offline Lilly83

• VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #196 on: 18/05/16, 06:44 »
    Hi ladies

Management will look into your request to be added, it's open to long standing members who are frequent posters who are 100% decided on not to tell

L x

Offline rednick

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #197 on: 18/05/16, 09:24 »
    Thank you Lilly I'm not a regular poster but I am 100% sure about not telling I have DD already who was result of embryo adoption and currently pregnant with 2nd embryo adoption. I have flown into complete paranoid mode imagination is awful! I know most if not all scenarios will not happen but would like chance to discuss them with sensible level heads.
    Thanks again

Offline Fox Gloves

modify
    « Reply #198 on: 18/05/16, 09:27 »
    Hi, please could I be considered for the group as well? I am 100% decided on not telling and dread discussing it elsewhere as certain members will appear like a magnet to try and persuade you otherwise! It would be nice to have support on a busier thread from those who haven't or will not tell. Thanks x

Offline Lilly83

• VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #199 on: 18/05/16, 12:54 »
    I put your name forward too Fox

The only reason we were restricting members was so it was a safer place to discuss openly and so we knew it was only genuine non tellers with access, red I can see you have been a member a long time

Mel or Bundles will arrange access if authorised

Lilly xx