* Author Topic: BFP - Due date January / February 2016  (Read 81099 times)

0 Members

Offline deedee_spark

• Gold Member
modify
BFP - Due date January / February 2016
« Reply #1260 on: 28/08/15, 19:53 »
Pumpkin - I hadn't seen your post from earlier. Sorry for the worry over your NT test, I'd be the same.  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ I don't whether a Harmony test would help reassure you?
It's great you will have more monitoring to help prevent issues - I hope that provides some reassurance. Wishing for the best for you.
x

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement
    modify
    « Reply #1261 on: 28/08/15, 20:27 »
    Yana, I do agree with your guidance on diet and nutrition ( as someone who for years followed a strict and at time gluten free diet to help myself conceive), but, I think whilst we generally all know what's good and not so good for us, if you're feeling ill and struggling to eat & even function in pregnancy, sometimes you do have to just go with whatever food and drink you're able to digest! It sounds like others are in this far from ideal position too (much as I'm sure we wouldn't like to be) and am sure already feel a level of guilt about this!

Offline Yana

modify
    « Reply #1262 on: 28/08/15, 20:44 »
    Yana, I do agree with your guidance on diet and nutrition ( as someone who for years followed a strict and at time gluten free diet to help myself conceive), but, I think whilst we generally all know what's good and not so good for us, if you're feeling ill and struggling to eat & even function in pregnancy, sometimes you do have to just go with whatever food and drink you're able to digest! It sounds like others are in this far from ideal position too (much as I'm sure we wouldn't like to be) and am sure already feel a level of guilt about this!
    10fingers, there is not so much struggling in the 2nd trimester. Time to change diet habits from unhealthy pre-pregnancy, during breastfeeding the restrictions are even worse. Think about the baby. Drinking pepsi and eating at macd, I would definitely not be able to in the 1st trimester, when I could only eat home cooked food made of super fresh products. I just don't see how's pregnancy is an "excuse" for that! While having nausea, bad quality junk food is the last thing you want.
    Also gluten free for conceiving? How does that help? Gluten, isn't it just veg protein? All this "gluten-free" is a big marketing fraud to my mind. There is a tiny percentage of people who have allergy to gluten, and I am not envious of them. How is it more beneficial for health to eat white bread instead of whole bread, white rice instead of brown rice, etc.????

modify
    « Reply #1263 on: 28/08/15, 21:04 »
    Yana, I can see this may turn into a heated discussion so perhaps not so good for the positivity of the thread for us to continue it here :) but I'm certainly not blindly using pregnancy as an excuse to eat crap food, so I do object to you saying that - I'm just trying to get through each day eating something and keeping it down at the moment so I can function enough to look after my son. I guess every pregnancy is different - I would love to eat the nutritious food I normally enthusiastically enjoy. Perhaps we should just leave that discussion there? 

Re gluten, it's a complex subject matter to go into here, but I was advised by my acupuncturist to try going GF whilst TTC last time to help with my particularly inflammatory issues at that time as her research had highlighted numerous benefits x

Offline gpn

modify
    « Reply #1264 on: 28/08/15, 22:01 »
    snowywhite, 10fingers10toescrossed and deedee_spark - thank you so much for your words earlier today. And thanks deedee, your comment about how going to the toilet after a bleed just is never the same again mad me smile, so true! Anyway, no further bleeding so really shouldn't have got so worked up, by the time I got home I just burst into tears! Now I've had a rest and feel much calmer, really need to learn not to freak out at the slightest bleed now. Will be taking it easy this weekend. Fortunately I have my NHS scan on Wednesday which will be 13 weeks so not long to wait for some re-assurance.

Wishing you all an enjoyable bank holiday weekend.

Offline Yana

modify
    « Reply #1265 on: 28/08/15, 23:29 »
    10fingers, I guess you are in the first trimester, which is different from the second. Even so... KFC?? I would crave on fruits, and I could eat kilos of them per day, but the smell of fast food would only worsen nausea. Everyone's different, some eat sweets, some eat salty, but nasty smells are still nasty smells.
    Oh, acupuncturists are another issue. I went to one after transfer, felt utterly uncomfortable. Asked my doctor about that, and he told me I'd better spend money on massage (which is fine he said, it is a myth created by massage therapists fearing responsibility that it is prohibited in the first trimester), than on charlatans. Well, I am still weak enough to buy lotteries once in two years, which has probably a higher percent of winning than wasting money on prayers, acupuncture and gluten free. We all have weaknesses I guess.

Offline loulu28

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #1266 on: 28/08/15, 23:32 »
    I guess weaknesses are like opinions, we all have them :-)

Offline Lawmonkey

modify
    « Reply #1267 on: 28/08/15, 23:35 »
    10fingers, there is not so much struggling in the 2nd trimester. Says who?! Not for me :( Time to change diet habits from unhealthy pre-pregnancy, during breastfeeding the restrictions are even worse. Think about the baby. unfair comment, people on here have thought about nothing but babies for years Drinking pepsi and eating at macd, I would definitely not be able to in the 1st trimester, Lucky you when I could only eat home cooked food made of super fresh products. Again lucky you! I just don't see how's pregnancy is an "excuse" for that! We don't think its an excuse! While having nausea, bad quality junk food is the last thing you want. Sometimes when feeling sick people will try anything!!
    Also gluten free for conceiving? How does that help? Gluten, isn't it just veg protein? All this "gluten-free" is a big marketing fraud to my mind. There is a tiny percentage of people who have allergy to gluten, and I am not envious of them. How is it more beneficial for health to eat white bread instead of whole bread, white rice instead of brown rice, etc.????

First of all, I have been reading this thread now from the beginning at first I didn't join as I was nervous and as time passed I have just enjoyed reading and relating to the posts as I lie retching in my bed at night lol!

Yana I wish I could be as lucky as you and eager to eat super healthy foods but at the moment I'm happy if I can eat and keep down a cracker! From reading on here I'm not alone and although it's early days in my 2nd trimester things are not easing up and again I'm not alone. The last thing people need is to be made to feel bad or guilty, though I'm sure this was not your intention  :) I have been trying for 7 years for this baby therefore I most definitely am thinking about my baby but be honest I would eat a rusty nail right now if I felt like it!! I'm not doing anything stupid to put my baby at risk and am trying my very best to keep us both happy and healthy. My concern is lack of food and baby not getting enough so if I can eat a mcds which I managed twice during week 8 then I will be rushing to the 24hr drive through with my sirens on.

My baby means the world to me and despite eating crap, despite the fact that I won't be breast feeding (yes I said it) my baby is going to be very loved and nurtured. Sometimes when we put across our own point it can appear more harsh than we mean and I'm also sure im hormonal lol. i feel that when people put across such strong opinions though others become scared of being honest as they may get shot down for 'not doing the right thing' so to speak.

We are all different and unique which makes life exciting and full of experience. Through our journeys, our dreams and now our pregnancies we all have something in common. However our parenting styles, family life will all be as unique as our little ones growing in our bellies, so supporting one another and offering constructive criticism would be beneficial.

Best of luck to everyone.

Offline Yana

modify
    « Reply #1268 on: 28/08/15, 23:51 »
    Lawmonkey,
    Actually lucky you, in the first trimester we are not supposed to gain anything, or even lose some. I, in the contrary, ate huge portions of home made food, including pasta. So I gained 5kg, which immediately alarmed my doctor and I was told to watch weight. However, in the 2nd trimester things are more real, and occasionally I eat unhealthy - pizzas, pastas (in good Italian restaurants), fruits only for dinner. I also can't manage 5 -6 meals per day, cause I don't have enough appetite. I just eat what I want, but I am trying to have a balance somehow, protein, good fats, carbs and sources of vitamins and calcium every day.
    Somebody is in the 2nd trimester, when there are less cravings, and asked for guidance for food beneficial for a baby in the first place. I personally think that being supportive is to give that guidance, rather than say, oh junk food is fine. I guess, it's a cultural difference, but you totally confuse a person who asked for advice on healthy food and instead got "support" for her unhealthy dieting habits. Well, I guess that makes everyone feel better, and that's the most important in this country? And someone who actually tries to help, is perceived as "negative"????

And also, when I said "think about the baby" I meant think about what the baby is going to receive from you as construction materials for her body. Junk food, coke, etc. is poison for her. I didn't mean you were not planning enough time. I was planning probably for the shortest time on the forum, and I still think about how to nourish the baby properly all the time. That is my first consideration when choosing food.

Well, I also think, it's age difference. When younger, people are less fussy about what they eat in general. Also, I had very healthy habits and educated myself on healthy food long before pregnancy. I understand that for some it would be a drastic change of lifestyle. However pregnancy is a good time for such a change! Much more motivation! And I am glad there are people who are interested and motivated to change, and ask questions. That means they care. I hope they would choose what is better for their baby, rather than follow the "antiadvice" that any crap is fine.

Offline Dragonfly32

modify
    « Reply #1269 on: 28/08/15, 23:52 »
    gpn - glad you're feeling better and the bleeding has stopped. It is so scary. I had quite a bit of bleeding and spotting early on, and I remember it stopping and I was so relieved, then it started again and I cried a lot, I just wanted someone to give me a reason it was happening - all these worries that I never even knew existed with pregnancy! DeeDee_spark hit the nail on the head about the fear of going to the toilet! I think a restful weekend is on the cards, and hopefully Wednesday will come around very quickly for you.

pumpkin - I am sorry, I too missed your post as when I logged on as there were loads of updates. I don't know if you have done this already but I think it is definitely worth starting up a new thread as I am sure this forum has lots of ladies who can help and give you some extra information. I am afraid I don't know about it, it sounds like the doctors are keeping an eye on things which is reassuring - it sounds like you are in good hands  ^hugme^

I hope everyone has a lovely and restful bank holiday if you aren't working xxx