* Author Topic: BFP - Due date January / February 2016  (Read 81097 times)

0 Members

Offline dumbwing07

• Gold Member
  • Positive Positive Positive
modify
BFP - Due date January / February 2016
« Reply #1320 on: 31/08/15, 15:05 »
Snowywhite1 - Thats a great Idea. I have just had the conversation with my husband and my boss, im now leaving for 3 weeks holiday on the 30th November with Mat leave starting 21st December so im off for 2 weeks before hes due. I will also have about 7-8mnths off if I go back to work (mother in law depending) if not I will return to work and work my notice. xx

Cookson17 - thats a good idea too, im gonna go back 2-3 days a week if I go back at all, it depends on mother in law, money and how we cope on hubbys wage I think. I really dont want to put him in child care as I havent gone through all this to not bring him up mainly myself plus I cant afford child care. Although I know some people have to do this and completely respect it. xx

KALM - I just think drop side is the main one, you can get slide under boxes that go under the cot so you dont have to fork out for one with drawers and you can also buy padded things that tie onto the side of the cot for when they are teething. Ive done mine with all actual photos i bought those little transparent sticky corners and inserting them is so annoying but it will look great when its done! Im ordering our mums those online books though so they can have their own copies xx

Loulu - think it depends on who your employed by, I know id have to pay back the 6 weeks pay if I just quit after mat leave I have to go back to work and hand in my notice and work the two weeks but that should be ok, im sure if this happens I can get someone to watch him for the short period xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline loulu28

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #1321 on: 31/08/15, 15:15 »
    yes, dw, it probably does, i just checked my contract/mat policy to confirm to myself i didn't have to pay anything back... i hadn't even thought i might have to. :-)

Offline Snowy white1

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #1322 on: 31/08/15, 15:21 »
    By the way, at pregnancy club the midwife said that cot bumpers are a bad idea as they reduce airflow in the cot and increase chances of cot death. It's actually a bit annoying that Mothercare etc sell them; if they're that dangerous they shouldn't be encouraging their use.

There are safe bumpers that are made of mesh so you get plenty of airflow. Airwrap, I think they're called and they're on Amazon.

Offline dumbwing07

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #1323 on: 31/08/15, 15:28 »
    loulu - poop isnt it. They love to take stuff away from you when you have a child. xx

Snowywhite1 - yes, they are fine when baby is big enough to need the whole length of the cot so they dont bump their head etc but im not going to put one in at first they only use a small part of the cot when they first go in it so dont see the point of them for a while. Baby is going in my next2me (bedside crib thing) then cot when bigger. xx

Offline Snowy white1

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #1324 on: 31/08/15, 15:42 »
    The maternity pay situation at my work really annoys me. It's a huge company and they always have all these special events for female employees to promote equality. But when it comes down to it they aren't prepared to give a decent maternity package.
    Plus I bet they won't cover my position while I'm away so everyone else will just have to work really hard.
    I'm also worried about redundancy. Surely making a pregnant person redundant shouldn't be allowed?

Offline dumbwing07

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #1325 on: 31/08/15, 15:47 »
    Snowywhite1 - I know sucks doesnt it, I work in sales, we have 5 massive stores accross the country and the company earns billions but we get 6 week 90% pay on maternity! LOL its a right joke. I dont think they can make you redundant but i dont know for definate! xx

Offline loulu28

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #1326 on: 31/08/15, 15:50 »
    you can be made redundant whilst pregnant but not because you're pregnant.

in my case, as the oil industry is in such a mess, the company has decided it might get rid of all chemists... that wouldn't be personal so it could happen.

Offline Snowy white1

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #1327 on: 31/08/15, 15:50 »
    I haven't actually told HR yet (only my boss) because the minute I tell them, there will be all this health and safety stuff descending on me - I sit at a desk in a nice office so it's fairly pointless! Just a box ticking exercise on their point.

I would be made redundant because we haven't made enough money this year! I think someone from the team has to go. Just hope it's not me.

Offline loulu28

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #1328 on: 31/08/15, 15:52 »
    i think you are obliged to tell them in writing at 15 weeks before due date to qualify for SMP etc ? Before that, it is your call :-)

Offline Dragonfly32

modify
    « Reply #1329 on: 31/08/15, 16:09 »
    Maternity pay for me is the maternity allowance because I am self employed, but it's a bit tricky as I can't find anyone to take over my business so I am having to close it down, although I am not sure if I do this I am even allowed to claim the allowance, I don't really know how it is going to work yet! Lots of research to do! Maternity allowance isn't great at all, but hopefully it'll help get us by.  I have told my clients I am going to stop mid - end October (at around 31 weeks I think) which probably sounds incredibly lazy but I usually walk for 4-5 hours a day plus other animal visits and I can see that becoming ridiculously exhausting. Some of the dogs I walk aren't perfectly behaved so I think it is just less risky to stop a bit earlier, I do sometimes worry about being pulled over. So as things stand I wont be returning to work, but will probably study over the next few years, although need to get some motivation over that!! haha!! My husband has very variable hours and often works away from home so I hope i'll be able to stay home for a few years, to save on childcare costs.

Has anyone looked into paternity pay? I was really shocked, I just assumed my dh would be able to take the first two weeks off, but I had no idea they docked his pay to the statutory paternity pay. So we would essentially lose two weeks of his pay which would not be feesable with bills mortgage etc which is such a shame.

Can't remember who mentioned the baby show? We are going to try and go to the one at the end of October in London. I love a good show!!