* Author Topic: GENNET Graduates & Friends part 3  (Read 107693 times)

0 Members

Offline SYLSeattle

modify
Gennet Graduates & Friends part 3
« Reply #10 on: 25/05/15, 23:06 »
Hi Fee - re: your question on waking them to feed before five hours...are they gaining weight well? And remind me how old they are now? My doc said we could stop waking Baby Seattle (real name is Fisher, which is much easier to type!) once he was properly gaining weight and he was 6 weeks old. Prior to that, it was recommended that he eat no less than every 4 hours, and preferably 3 hours.

I hope that helps! So good to read your update on sweet Josh and sassy Scarlett!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Angel_Delight

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #11 on: 26/05/15, 00:08 »
    Hello everyone,

Sporty, I went though the same as you regarding my daughter looking the spit of her dad and not me.  There have been a couple of times where someone has said she looks like me and then I feel like a fraud.  She is almost a year and I'm getting used to it.  My daughter looks so much like my DH that who's to say, if we conceived with my OE, she wouldn't look exactly like she does now. 

Sounds like you're doing amazing Fee.  Grow bags are great, especially when they start to roll in their sleep.

Good luck Cheesy.

Hello everyone else, bedtime!! :D

Offline Sporty_girlie

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #12 on: 26/05/15, 07:37 »
    Fee - lovely to hear you worrying about mothering things now and not the stress of the last few months. As Baby Sport came early we received the same advice as Seattle, and set an alarm to make sure we woke and feed him. We did this for around 4-6 weeks. After that from weeks 5-10 we hit the windy stage, so that just took over and meant winding could take up to 40 mins. You're lucky with a bottle though that you can get 4 hourly feeds. With BFing it's about every 2 hours. All that said once they get bigger, say 4 months, you won't get 4 hour windows, we dropped down to 2 hour windows even with a bottle.

We're also a fan of grobags. We used them from about 6 weeks in. Friends told us about how their babies had slept better as they were warmer. BS was a winter baby and I was never convinced that the cellular blankets kept him snug enough. Sure enough when we put him in the bag he did slept better. We put a cellular blanket over the top as he likes the weight and associates it with bedtime. If you have to get them up in the night they're brilliant as they keep the baby warm and also mean they're not going back on to cold sheets, which again in the winter woke him up.

If you look at some of the 0-6 month bags (eg grobags themselves) they have extra buttons under the arms which make the arm holes smaller. This makes them safe to use on newborns. Just check the weight for each bag before you out the babikes in them.

Thx Angel - it's weird as I do see myself in him. It's just other people's comments. At what point do you stop thinking about the DE side?  I wonder if you never will if we all stay on these forums.

Magic - sorry to hear about the lasering, but nice to hear you get the swing of being a mummy.

Offline theodora

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #13 on: 26/05/15, 10:09 »
    We also used gro bags from birth (we even borrowed one in the hospital), altho as I posted earlier we've pretty much stopped using them now. I found that often the bags are too hot for our boy, but you can get them less padded. The optimal temp for a baby to sleep is actually quite cool (18C)...

Sorry to hear about the tongue ties. We also had to recut, was annoying but the 2nd time was the charm. We also had to religiously do the exercises to ensure that the healing was done with the cut part stayin unattached, he HATED them but it seems to have worked. I am so bummed for you that this affects the feeding & thus your supply, I am sure this will get fixed with the new lasering. In our case it just meant that bf'ing hurt like heck, but my boy was gaining weight all right (since he nursed like mad forever & ever -- once the cuts were done again he stopped nursing so long).

In re the waking of babies in the night every 4 hours, that is ONLY for newborns in the first week or so, or for babies who aren't gaining weight. Afterwards you can just leave the babies be & thank heavens that they sleep!

Our boy looks nothing like me. I don't think he looks like my husband either, but folks often say he does. Waiting to see how he changes as he grows out of babyhood, as it will certainly change. And as he gets older he will have more & more of our mannerisms, so even with double donor he will look more like us than he does now. I hear what you are saying Sporty about being on the forum reinforcing thoughts about donor, but in my case at least this doesn't affect anything. He is still totally mine!!

Our boy is a total button pusher, he loves anything he can press. I am so glad our clothes washer has a child lock! And I thought having a cold-front oven was silly when my husband insisted on it years ago, now I am thankful.

Cheesy in re music players, our friends have one of these & they use an SD card to put songs on it, our boy tried it out Sunday & loved it http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soundmaster-Portable-Stereo-MP3-Playback/dp/B00I0D4YMY (much cheaper in a local shop but they are out now). I have instead decided to buy an Ocarina as it is less complicated & we don't need karaoke! I used some of the christening gift money for it, as the Ocarinas are expensive. I hope it is good, as he is all about music & sounds these days.

Magic, what does "I can put my apple to pear up and down in the same time as solo mums" mean?!

I am so impressed with all the twin moms here, you go girls!

OK this mail took me 3 hours to write, must go take care of Mr Bored!

/links

Offline Jeanette2

modify
    « Reply #14 on: 26/05/15, 21:18 »
    Just read some of your posts about the subject of 'appearance' which I found interesting as it's something that sometimes preys on my mind. DS doesn't resemble either myself or DP (used own sperm) and I rarely get anyone saying he looks like one of us but have had some curious people saying things like 'which one of you would you say he takes more after' kind of tactfully throwing it back to us. In some ways if he looked more like DP I think it would be easier as people would be less perplexed.  I have a feeling he probably takes after the donor's father but it's impossible to know for sure.  I did pick a donor that had similar physical characteristics to me, but guess genes can be slightly random and throw up anomalies. Like you Sporty, I'm a little sensitive when remarks are made - the one I usually get is gosh you're so petite and he's so big, also whose the fair one in your family as I have v dark brown hair as does my DP. Anyhow it's something I'll have to live with and hopefully grow a second skin. I know epigenetics is a new science but wonder with a donor egg if it was implanted into another female with same sperm whether the baby born would look different?  I was probably going to tell him one day about his origins but hadn't decided for sure. However think my hand might be forced as he'll wonder for himself when he gets older - funnily I am the image of my mum and my brother, my dad and do sometimes wish there was the tiniest resemblance but having said that he's so perfect wouldn't want to change a thing.     

Fee - lovely to hear you're faring so well, must be a great help having your mum there & sounds like you're in a good routine already.  As others have said as they're a bit older now think you can space out the feeds more overnight if they're sleeping peacefully but check with your health visitor to be sure.

Offline Sporty_girlie

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #15 on: 27/05/15, 16:03 »
    Interesting thoughts Jeanette.  My niece was dark like my sister when born, but is now as blonde her dad and I can't really see my sister in her now.  Although my sister and I do look like our parents.  Me, my mother and my sister is like my dad.  We don't plan to tell either, but don't know how time will change that.  Certainly whilst there are still so much misunderstanding around it and dare I say....  prejudice; we don't plan to say.  My friend had DE about 4 years ago and was very open about it and I heard separately what people, including my sister thought about it.  I would hate to see anyone, including my family treat Baby Sport differently than another grandchild or nephew.  Perhaps in 10 years time when it's more common place we may feel comfortable letting him know there was a nice "egg lady in Prague" who helped us, but he's still my baby. 

Just managed to get Baby Sport down for his afternoon nap in his big cot.  Very happy about this.  I tried this a few months ago and he just saw it as a place to play so we had no luck.  Over the last 2 weeks I haven't put him in there after a nappy change.  I've put him on a mat on the floor whilst I clear up.  I worried this was going to be a problem and I'd eventually have to sleep in there to get him into it, but it turned out to be surprisingly easy today.  Popped him into this sleeping bag, rubbed his hand for about 5 mins and that was it!  Yay!  Guess he may have just been too small for it before and needed to grow and fill it to feel comfortable or the play disassociation worked.  Either way I am happy as he starts nursery next week and will have a big cot there.  Plus he is getting a bit too big for his Chicco Next-to-Me and we were wondering what to do next.  Can't believe it's already time for him to start nursery and for me to look for a job.

Offline Idlikemagic

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #16 on: 27/05/15, 20:13 »
    Boo to looking for a job sporty the time has really flown!

Theo Apple to pear is a twin pram and hence I could put it up as quick as the Jim with one baby 😉 I was feeling proud!!

Offline Jeanette2

modify
    « Reply #17 on: 27/05/15, 23:06 »
    Sporty - my mum is the only member of family on both sides who knows that DS is from a DE and sees him every much her grandchild as her other two.  I'm not sure what the reaction of DP's family would be like as they are quite traditional and to be honest i wouldn't relish them finding out. I do worry though about not saying anything and DS having any medical problems in the future as docs always ask about family history and he wouldn't be able to give accurate info or even worse could mislead them. Thankfully it's not a decision we need to make for some years and as you say attitudes may change in time to come that will make it easier, let's hope so.   

Offline Courgette

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #18 on: 28/05/15, 09:48 »
    Hi, hope you don't mind me joining in re DE and family resemblances! As someone who had twins through DE almost 3 years ago, it's been interesting to see how the boys have looked at various stages. One of them is the absolute image of his Dad and paternal grandad, which is lovely, but the other one is quite different! I find that people see what they want to see, and have been told he is like me (!) or 'my side of the family'! Obviously nobody knows about our ivf or DE (with the exception of a close friend in a similar position) so I don't think the idea of donated eggs would enter their heads! As I also had a natural pregnancy in my late 40's, everyone has assumed, as we hoped, that this pregnancy was the same! Interestingly, I also have older children from my first marriage and I would say that only one of three looks like me! I also know lots of families with naturally conceived children who look nothing like their parents so I'm not a all worried. I think you do tend to put these things to the back of your mind once your babies start growing up and these two little chaps couldn't possibly feel any more 'mine'  :)  It's a fascinating & amazing thing though isn't it!

Offline theodora

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #19 on: 28/05/15, 11:25 »
    We were just at the pediatrician's for vaccinations. TBD is a few days past 13 months & is 84cm tall already!!!! (99.9 percentile)

Anyway, the point is that the doc kept exclaiming & asking if we had tall people in the family, & we finally said you know it was double donor IVF & she apologized twice & said it is written in the initial notes but she keeps forgetting. It never even occurs to folks that we did donor, & I forget about it most of the time myself. Some folks know, we are not at all secretive about it, but I find that folks that do know we did donor still default back & say the boy looks like us or takes after us... which I like since they also keep saying how good looking he is!

I haven't encountered any prejudice against donor, even with the most ultra Catholic folks who are on paper against this sort of thing.

In re the family history thing, I think this is overrated. First of all, most health problems can also occur spontaneously even without a family history. For instance, my mom died of ovarian cancer, & neither of us have the BRCA genes that are usually tied to that. And I don't have any idea of the medical or even genealogical background of my mom -- her parents were ultra secretive -- & only have sparse info on my dad's side. So even I who am not adopted don't really know what to say when asked if there is a family history of this or that.