* Author Topic: natural pregnancy after failed ivf cycle  (Read 1619 times)

0 Members

Offline Maui

modify
natural pregnancy after failed ivf cycle
« on: 18/07/15, 08:53 »
Hi, Sorry - wasn't sure where to post this - just after some advice.

Our cycle of IVF failed recently - got a BFN mid May and my bleed shortly after. I then had another AF 28 days  later, mid June. We then started TTC just in case - despite having MF infertility and me only having one tube due to an ectopic. And yesterday... we got a bfp, I think I am just over 4 weeks.

Of course we are so happy and grateful, but I have woken up worried about how recently we had our treatment and if this could affect things? For example, do I have enough progesterone after DR stripped my natural hormones etc? (I stopped taking progesterone once I got the bfn after ivf).

I have 7 progesterone pessaries left and a little tempted to take them but am worried about interfering with nature. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience about how long it takes for your body / hormones to return to normal following a failed cycle? I'm just so scared of losing this chance at a miracle.

Thanks so much.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Ali_123

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #1 on: 18/07/15, 09:01 »
    Wow! Congratulations! I don't think the IVF cycle will have any bearing on your current pregnancy - this seems to happen quite a bit. Apparently IVF can kick start your natural fertility.

Don't take the suppositories without consulting a Dr. I don't think you will need them as there is no reason why you should not have plenty of natural progesterone. If you start them you may need to keep taking them as they might make your progesterone artificially high and apparently a sudden drop in progesterone can induce a bleed....purely my own theory though!

Good luck!

Offline Roxbury1

modify
    « Reply #2 on: 18/07/15, 09:02 »
    Hi Maui
    Firstly, congrats on your lovely surprise BFP! I'm in exactly the same position, failed cycle in April, one period end of May, random natural BFP two weeks ago. Obv it's early days so can't give you total reassurance but I've not taken any of my leftover progesterone, I figure nature got us further than either of our IVF's so I'm trusting my body  ^pray^ A clinic friend of mine also fell naturally almost immediately after an unsuccessful cycle and advised her not to use extra prog so that reaffirmed my gut instinct. She's now 16wks.
    Best of luck!
    X

Offline Maui

modify
    « Reply #3 on: 18/07/15, 09:12 »
    Thank you both so much for your speedy replies and congrats, and for such reassurance, much needed and appreciated!

Ali - that's really interesting - my H and I were wondering if the IVF had somehow made me a bit more fertile! Also about the progesterone - I had been googling to see if there was any harm but your theory about a sudden drop makes scary sense. I will stay away.

Roxbury - Congratulations!! Fab news - I had no idea how common it was. Wonderful also about your friend at 16 weeks and that her body has taken care of things without any help. Are you planning on having an early scan? I think the NHS will scan me due to my ectopic last year (that is my other anxiety - that this one is in the right place), but if for any reason they don't, I think we will book a private one.

Looking at your signature, I can see you have been through the mill a bit, wishing you much luck and thanks again for the reassurance x