* Author Topic: Discharge/water type leaks around 20 weeks  (Read 2906 times)

0 Members

Offline deedee_spark

• Gold Member
modify
Discharge/water type leaks around 20 weeks
« on: 12/08/15, 08:39 »
Hi,

Is discharge normal during pregnancy? Sorry for TMI, but I can sometimes feel it come out. It's white or clear, and occasionally watery (when getting up after sitting/sleeping).
I had bleeding/brown discharge from 13.5 to 17.5 weeks so I hadn't noticed what discharge was normal or not. I'm now 19.5 weeks.  Because of IVF and then bleeding we haven't had sex for about 20 weeks!! so maybe that is why (sex is a whole new load of questions).

I might have felt a little movement of the baby yesterday so I think/hope things are ok.

x

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline CrazyHorse

• Gold Member
    modify
    Discharge 1/2 through 2nd trimester
    « Reply #1 on: 12/08/15, 08:51 »
    Yes, I have some vaginal secretions like that. As long as you're not having a whole lot of watery secretions (like to the point where you wonder if you're having a bit of urinary incontinence), that sounds pretty normal. If you find that you're having an alarming amount of watery secretions, the doctor can test for presence of amniotic fluid (looking at pH and ferning). But what you're describing really does sound quite normal -- vaginal secretions often increase a bit in pregnancy over what you had before.  ^hugme^

Offline deedee_spark

• Gold Member
    modify
    Discharge 1/2 through 2nd trimester
    « Reply #2 on: 12/08/15, 12:44 »
    Thanks for the reassurance Crazyhorse. I am using a panty liner today to see if I lose any more fluid type discharge. My knickers have felt damp recently, maybe I am peeing myself without realising.  ;D The joys of pregnancy.  ;D  I'd go through far more to have a child.   :)

^hugme^

x

Offline deedee_spark

• Gold Member
    I spent the night in hospital for monitoring because I am leaking watery type fluid rather than thick discharge. They were/are concerned it was/is waters leaking.

Hopefully, I am just wetting myself without knowing.  Rather that than anything else... :)

Do you know of any supplements/food/regimes that can help build up the membrane and prevent PROM? I realise that if I am leaking there is not much I can do about it apart from pray. However, if it is my bladder I would like to see if anything helps make the membrane stronger; the bleed I had at 13 weeks puts me at great risk of PROM, hence the night in hospital.

Also, do any of you know where I am buy amniotic fluid detection pads, and whether they work?

Thank you,

xx

Offline CrazyHorse

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #4 on: 15/08/15, 13:28 »
    Deedee, I wish I could be more help with your PPROM questions, but I'm sure ladies more knowledgeable than myself will be along in a bit. I'm glad the hospital is monitoring you.

In the meantime, sending you lots of good wishes.  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^  If I have time later, I'll nose around and if I find any useful info will let you know.

Offline deedee_spark

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #5 on: 17/08/15, 13:40 »
    Thanks Crazyhorse - I am still monitoring the leaks. From what I understand a leak of amnionic fluid would be like a dripping tap, my leak is more sporadic at the moment. I definitely have a little stress innocence which isn't helping the situation.  ;D  I am resting until I have a detailed scan on Wednesday and see the consultant on Friday.

I googled yesterday, but there is not much information about.

The amnionic fluid detection pads don't seem to be available anymore. I wonder if they lack reliability? Shame, as it ideal invention. 

A high protein diet, much like the IVF diet, can help build up membrane strength.
    Vitamin C seems to help the membrane, as does Vitamin E. I am happy to take extra vitamin C but not vitamin E.
    Good probiotics can help prevent infections that can lead to PROM. So I'm taking these again.
    Food rich in prebiotics can also help prevent infections.
    Keeping a detailed log is also advisable if wet knickers are felt. Every passing of urine and leaks (when did the leak happen? Sitting? Standing?).

Fortunately, my time in hospital taught me to feel the kicks! So I can them quite frequently now (3 or 4 times a day) - which is reassuring. I guess my placenta stretched away from my front as that is where I feel the kicks.

I hope your pregnancy is going well. Thanks for your support.

^hugme^ ^hugme^

xx
    I am really pleased that I didn't invest in a doppler though, I probably wouldn't have got checked out. 

Offline -x-Lolly-x-

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #6 on: 17/08/15, 20:19 »
    Hi I had PPROM at 26 weeks. I can't help with prevention questions as mine just went, I felt a little pop, so too late to think about that really. But make sure you shower not bathe, no sex, light duties so no lifting or hoovering etc. Monitor your temperature for any sign of infection. Also any clear, yellow or pink fluid is normal. Red can indicate blood, green infection and brownish can indicate baby in distress and doing a poo. Hopefully it's not that but if your waters have broken you can either drip or gush every now and again. I was the latter category. It got more frequent and larger amounts as the pregnancy progressed. My midwife initially told me I had wet myself. I knew I hadn't, I knew it was my waters. If it is you may reseal or go weeks with careful monitoring. This might be a bit gross but amniotic fluid generally has a very distinct smell, has yours? If not hopefully it's just normal pregnancy discharge. You are in my thoughts xxx  ^hugme^

Offline deedee_spark

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #7 on: 17/08/15, 20:30 »
    Thanks Lolly.
    I am resting until I have seen consultant and had detailed scan later in the week.

The colour is clear. I've been told to wear pads but all they do is mop up the wet!! Also, after wearing a pad all night, I wouldn't say it smells that great. However, the morning leaks seem to smell of very little. I'll try again tomorrow. I can't work out whether it smells of urine or not.

So far today I have been to the loo 18 times, so my bladder is pretty week. I am hoping the morning leak is discharge.

Forgot to mention in my other post, I am also making sure I get the fertility recommended amounts of zinc and magnesium. Consultant also said to stay on the baby aspirin as it can help prevent early delivery.

Roll on 28 week milestone.

I am glad your baby was fine after the early delivery.

x

Offline -x-Lolly-x-

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #8 on: 17/08/15, 20:49 »
    All signs sound encouraging for you, you will never be so pleased to be told you've just been wetting yourself I'm sure  ;D Ok so this is really gross but heard it's pretty common, my fluid smelt like seman! Others have said a sweet sickly smell. Haven't they tested for fluid with a swab on those PH type strips? Mine was an instant positive so we knew what we were dealing with xxx

Offline -x-Lolly-x-

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #9 on: 17/08/15, 20:50 »
    Oh and thank you, he certainly was a little fighter  :)