* Author Topic: PGD cycle cancelled  (Read 969 times)

0 Members

Offline Pollypanda

• Un-Ranked
modify
PGD cycle cancelled
« on: 6/10/15, 16:01 »
It's not been good news today at my scan. It's day 11, with two follicles, one on each side and my cycle has been cancelled.

We have a follow up appointment in four weeks time, but I'm not hopeful. She didn't want to say anything definitively, but it looks like IVF is not going to be an option for us. Nor will NHS be likely to fund more cycles. With PGD the egg numbers need to be high, at least 10, as each embryo will have a 50% chance of inheriting the disorder.

I'm really not in a good headspace right now  :'( My worst case scenario was always 'what if none of the embryos are ok to transfer' or 'what if I don't get a BFP?'. To go through all that we've been through and not even get to egg collection is heart-breaking. 

Has anyone been through this at their first cycle and gone on to have a 2nd cycle?

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Pawsandfluff

modify
    PGD cycle cancelled
    « Reply #1 on: 6/10/15, 16:15 »
    Thinking of you Pollypanda.  I haven't had experience of this but just wanted to send you a hug.  If you're really struggling, it might be worth seeing if they could move your review appointment forward or see if any counselling available.  It can feel devastating I know when your dream feels like it's been setback.  I really hope all works well for you.

Offline Pollypanda

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    PGD cycle cancelled
    « Reply #2 on: 7/10/15, 14:26 »
    Thanks so much for the kind words Pawsandfluff, I really appreciate it. I go to counseling once a week anyway and thankfully my appointment was yesterday afternoon after we got the news. My counselor really earned his money yesterday  :'( It's been such a difficult journey and this feels like a big setback. I'm going to have to hide away and grieve for a while before getting back onto the rollercoaster.

Best of luck with your journey.
    xx

Offline klaire80

modify
    PGD cycle cancelled
    « Reply #3 on: 7/10/15, 20:06 »
    Hello Pollypanda. I know exactly what you mean and what you are going through. I went through this around summer last year. I felt like my world was coming to an end. I was really bad because I wasn't even offered counselling, I literally broke down and could do anything for a feew months. I went through everything and all scans were showing very fine. EC only 3 eggs collected, 2 fertilised and non made to blast. I was waiting to get a next appointment to discuss what will happen next only to get a call from one of the Drs saying unfortunately I am not a good candidate and they'll have to drop me. I cried and cried. The Dr wouldn't even answer my questions as non of this made any sense to me. I was told I had low ovarian reserve so I went and researched to know what that is. I felt really led down because I wouldn't felt a little better I had been given some good reason why I can't continue.

Fast worward til february I sort second opinion from another centre offering pgd and they asked me to request my notes from previous hospital. Had an appointment with the Drs who were not very pleased that I was chucked out the door without even trying a dfferent protocol. So they looked into my notes and wrote back to me saying they want to give me another shot with a different protocol and see what happens. I had several appointments to get blood work etc. I have been placed on the long protocol and started my injections on Monday.

I did my own research about egg reserve and also bought a book called It starts with the egg by Rebecca Fett. It gave me a good understanding of what I am going through and I bought a few vitamins recommended especially DHEA which i never knew about in the book. I am keeping everything crossed and at same time my mind is fully prepared for the worse.

I am really sorry for what you're going through. Was this your last chance of NHS funded IVF? if not I will definitely seek a second opinion.

Lots of  ^hugme^ ^hugme^

Offline kb77

modify
    PGD cycle cancelled
    « Reply #4 on: 12/10/15, 02:12 »
    Hello, Pollypanda ,
    Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time. I did not want to read and run without writing a few words. Even though i am not able to help you directly....
    First of all, i would like to second what Klaire80 suggested. You Must look for second opinion. And no doubt about it. As you have already probably known that with IVF you need to find YOUR protocol and YOUR clinic/doctor. As statistics shows it takes an average of 3 goes to be successful.
    And i am familiar with this feeling of despair and heart-break. I had 3 fresh IVF cycles before i became pregnant. Do not feel discourage by your clinics opinion. I aldo experienced somewhere similiar in my path through infertility. About an year ago after two unsuccessful attempts (two fresh and one FET) on NHS, i went to private clinic. NHS gave us diagnosis as "unexplained ". The only thing found was low AMH but at least i have managed to produce 2 high grades blastocysts each time out of 4 mature eggs. Anyways, private clinic insisted on doing test on karyotype and found out that i am a carrier of balanced translocation. Nothing wrong with me but baby cud get my translocation and it cud be unbalanced. Based in this finding my new clinic suggested to do PGD and embryo banking till i have a minimum of 8 blastocysts (better 10) and since i do not produce more than 2 blastocysts in one go it wud mean i wud have to do at least four cycles. And only then they wud do their PGD to check for translocation/all genetics.... All this embryo banking wud take at least a year and there wud be no guarantee that even healthy embryo wud implant. Other option i was offered (rather cold-heartedly) was donor egg...
    Needless to say i was devasted and heart-broken and too lost for anything....
    Luckily my DH put his foot down and returned me back to reality and to earth of living☺ by dragging me away from that clinic that in his opinion was simply using scary tactics and  was trying to earn a lot of money on our misfortune 😡
    And luckily enough another clinic took us on and i got pregnant straight away. We did do CVS and full genetics and it showed that baby is fine. Needless to say, apart from our overwhelming joy on hearing the news, i felt very very grateful to my DH who supported me and made me believe in common sense and in US and internal gratitude to doctor who did not share previous clinics view on PGD need in our case... and as you can see from my signature i am due to give birth any day now...Otherwise if i went with my initial clinic,  i cud have been waiting even to be pregnant....
    Pollypanda, i know it might sound so unfair but try to look at your first IVF experience as a learning curve. Do try again. Us, girls, with low AMH and low reserves do get pregnant.  We just need more time to find correct path.!!!

I hope this site and our stories help you to get through this difficult period. Do not hesitate to write if you need more help or support.

Take care, kb

Offline Pollypanda

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    PGD cycle cancelled
    « Reply #5 on: 22/10/15, 17:49 »
    Hello Pollypanda. I know exactly what you mean and what you are going through. I went through this around summer last year. I felt like my world was coming to an end. I was really bad because I wasn't even offered counselling, I literally broke down and could do anything for a feew months. I went through everything and all scans were showing very fine. EC only 3 eggs collected, 2 fertilised and non made to blast. I was waiting to get a next appointment to discuss what will happen next only to get a call from one of the Drs saying unfortunately I am not a good candidate and they'll have to drop me. I cried and cried. The Dr wouldn't even answer my questions as non of this made any sense to me. I was told I had low ovarian reserve so I went and researched to know what that is. I felt really led down because I wouldn't felt a little better I had been given some good reason why I can't continue.

Fast worward til february I sort second opinion from another centre offering pgd and they asked me to request my notes from previous hospital. Had an appointment with the Drs who were not very pleased that I was chucked out the door without even trying a dfferent protocol. So they looked into my notes and wrote back to me saying they want to give me another shot with a different protocol and see what happens. I had several appointments to get blood work etc. I have been placed on the long protocol and started my injections on Monday.

I did my own research about egg reserve and also bought a book called It starts with the egg by Rebecca Fett. It gave me a good understanding of what I am going through and I bought a few vitamins recommended especially DHEA which i never knew about in the book. I am keeping everything crossed and at same time my mind is fully prepared for the worse.

I am really sorry for what you're going through. Was this your last chance of NHS funded IVF? if not I will definitely seek a second opinion.

Lots of  ^hugme^ ^hugme^

Hi klaire80,

I'm sorry it's been a while, I just needed to take a break from the forum. Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm very sorry that you had to go through all that stress and heartache. It's so frustrating when you have questions that no-one seems to be able to answer. Our appointment is in a few weeks, but I feel like I'm about to be chucked out as well. This was our first cycle.

We spoke to our doctor a few days later and she had said that she had already spoken to her Medical Director and the NHS and apparently they're not going to fund any more cycles. Didn't waste any time there!

It's great that you've been offered a second chance at another clinic. Would you mind if I asked whether the new clinic was able to offer you an NHS cycle?

A few people have recommended the book by Rebecca Fett, thank you. I'm going to check it out.

All the very best of luck with your next cycle. I hope the new protocol works for you.

Lots of  ^hugme^  ^hugme^

Offline Pollypanda

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    PGD cycle cancelled
    « Reply #6 on: 22/10/15, 18:49 »
    Hello, Pollypanda ,
    Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time. I did not want to read and run without writing a few words. Even though i am not able to help you directly....
    First of all, i would like to second what Klaire80 suggested. You Must look for second opinion. And no doubt about it. As you have already probably known that with IVF you need to find YOUR protocol and YOUR clinic/doctor. As statistics shows it takes an average of 3 goes to be successful.
    And i am familiar with this feeling of despair and heart-break. I had 3 fresh IVF cycles before i became pregnant. Do not feel discourage by your clinics opinion. I aldo experienced somewhere similiar in my path through infertility. About an year ago after two unsuccessful attempts (two fresh and one FET) on NHS, i went to private clinic. NHS gave us diagnosis as "unexplained ". The only thing found was low AMH but at least i have managed to produce 2 high grades blastocysts each time out of 4 mature eggs. Anyways, private clinic insisted on doing test on karyotype and found out that i am a carrier of balanced translocation. Nothing wrong with me but baby cud get my translocation and it cud be unbalanced. Based in this finding my new clinic suggested to do PGD and embryo banking till i have a minimum of 8 blastocysts (better 10) and since i do not produce more than 2 blastocysts in one go it wud mean i wud have to do at least four cycles. And only then they wud do their PGD to check for translocation/all genetics.... All this embryo banking wud take at least a year and there wud be no guarantee that even healthy embryo wud implant. Other option i was offered (rather cold-heartedly) was donor egg...
    Needless to say i was devasted and heart-broken and too lost for anything....
    Luckily my DH put his foot down and returned me back to reality and to earth of living☺ by dragging me away from that clinic that in his opinion was simply using scary tactics and  was trying to earn a lot of money on our misfortune 😡
    And luckily enough another clinic took us on and i got pregnant straight away. We did do CVS and full genetics and it showed that baby is fine. Needless to say, apart from our overwhelming joy on hearing the news, i felt very very grateful to my DH who supported me and made me believe in common sense and in US and internal gratitude to doctor who did not share previous clinics view on PGD need in our case... and as you can see from my signature i am due to give birth any day now...Otherwise if i went with my initial clinic,  i cud have been waiting even to be pregnant....
    Pollypanda, i know it might sound so unfair but try to look at your first IVF experience as a learning curve. Do try again. Us, girls, with low AMH and low reserves do get pregnant.  We just need more time to find correct path.!!!

I hope this site and our stories help you to get through this difficult period. Do not hesitate to write if you need more help or support.

Take care, kb

Hi kb77,

Congratulations on your BFP!  :) Wow, you really went on an emotional rollercoaster to get there. Thank you so much for your kind words and for sharing your story. It's so helpful. The more I listen to other's stories, the more it seems that half the battle is to find the right clinic with the right approach for you.

It's been a few weeks and my husband and I are now looking at the first IVF as a learning experience, I guess we're deflated and feeling rejected because our clinic we went to is not. I spoke to our doctor two days after our cancellation and she had already spoken to her Medical Director and the NHS and apparently we won't be offered any more funding. Didn't waste much time there! I mean, I had low AMH but 12 follicles in the baseline scan, we can't be a completely hopeless case surely?

Anyway, I'll be keeping those type of questions for our next appointment. Thanks again for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate the support.

All the best with the arrival of your little one, who I see is due soon!  ^hugme^ ^hugme^

Offline klaire80

modify
    PGD cycle cancelled
    « Reply #7 on: 22/10/15, 20:51 »

HI Pollypanda yes am still with NHS funded though the previous clinic told me I couldn't get any more funding. I really hope your appointment brings some hope to you and DH. I know exactly what your'e going through but just keep positive girl. Some of us have to go through so much before good things come our way. All the best hun. xx