* Author Topic: Not sure I understand the long protocol. Some help please!  (Read 655 times)

0 Members

Offline Padellina

Hello everyone

Today I had my first appointment for treatment and I have been told I will be in the long protocol. I had a notebook, a pen and a list of questions with me. thought I was prepared! However I am at home now and I am looking at the diagram they gave me and I don't understand how this will work.

I will start buserlin injections on the 19 Nov and on the 7 Dic I will have my first scan to check the endometrium so that I can start with Gonal F injections. In the sheet they gave me it is written that on day 9/10 they will assess follicular growth and will decide whether I will be ready for egg collection in 36 hours. The thing I don't understand is if when day say day 9/10 they refer to the day when I began the Gonal injection or to the day from my last period.  I feel so filly, I should have asked but we were so nervous!  I am not from the Uk and I have my flight book to go back home for Christmas on the 20 Dec. However I am now thinking that maybe I will have either to buy another ticket or to postpone the cycle to January!

I would be very grateful for some feedback from more experienced ladies! I will try to call the hospital tomorrow but they are very bad at picking the phone or returning calls so it is likely that I will be able to talk to them only next week
Xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Lilly83

• VIP Member Sponsor
    Hello

When they say days 9-10 it means of the second injections, they start a new count when you change the meds so it's cycle day numbers then they count days since starting stims, then you trigger when they think you are ready then EC 36 hours later xx

Offline Lilly83

• VIP Member Sponsor
    Also if I'm correct with your dates it sounds like you might fall with EC/ET over Xmas week so they might leave you down regging for longer, did they speak to you about Xmas closures at the clinic?

Happy to be corrected on long protocol dates as my last few cycles have been donor cycles x

Offline Padellina

Hi Lilly,
    You are a star! Thank you so much
    I think at this point I should start the cycle in January  and not in Nov as otherwise I doubt I will be able to be fly home for Christmas. More waiting to do :-[ !
    Xx

Offline Padellina

Yes, they mentioned that the clinic will be closed over Christmas (but we did not remember for how long, we were very nervous!) and I will only be back in the UK only on the 2nd of January. It feels very rushed. The nurse said that I was lucky as I was just about within the limit they accept in terms of dates but it still feels too rushed!
    Also I was not very prepared as I am sure at our previous appointment they said I would follow the short protocol but then today they said the long on as this is more appropriate for ladies in my situation... The doctor was lovely and I felt I could trust her although I was very surprised for this change

Offline miss sd

• Gold Member
    I just did long protocol and it took five  weeks. My egg collection was day 14. Hope that helps

Offline Padellina

Thank you Miss sd. I called the clinic and they realised that they gave me the wrong dates. It would be too late for me to start the Gonal F on the 7 Dec. They now suggest I start on the 4th but they don't seem confident that I will make it by the 24th (when the clinic will close). It seemed very rushed and although I really wanted to start asap I think it will be better to wait until Jan.
    What about you? Are you in the 2ww? Did you have many side effect caused by drugs?
    Xx