* Author Topic: Could it be twins?  (Read 1402 times)

0 Members

Offline FlyingCat

• Gold Member
modify
Could it be twins?
« on: 29/10/15, 17:05 »
Probably being paranoid but at 5+1 and with almost two weeks to go til early scan I'm feeling really pregnant - way more so than last time with my daughter.

With a ridiculously early BFP which was 2-3 weeks on clearblue digital  by otd (4+2) and 3+ by 5+0, I'm concerned our single embryo could have split... I know I have a lot of risk factors for identicals too... Older, overweight, history of identicals in both sides of my family...

Has anyone else suspected it could be twins this early? And were you right?

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Bubbles12

• VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    Could it be twins?
    « Reply #1 on: 29/10/15, 19:37 »
    Hey,

I got 2-3 weeks the day before OTD and i was expecting twins. My HCG level at 7dp5dt was 140. Although i wasnt that bothered, my sister was convinced it was twins. Sadly i did lose one mind.
    My sister, who had triplets via IVF had a 3+ on 8dp5dt!!!

Having said that, i know of ladies with high HCG with a singleton and others expecting twins with low HCG levels so none of us can really go by HCG and digitals to indicate multiple pregnancies.

I will be interested to know mind xx

Offline staceysm

• Gold Member
    modify
    Could it be twins?
    « Reply #2 on: 29/10/15, 19:41 »
    Hi,

I really think that it is hard to tell what you could have in there at this stage.  I got pregnant 3 + weeks at 10dpt and was convinced it was twins.  My first scan showed one pregnancy sac fortunately.

Good luck and take things one day at a time.

X

Offline Blondie71

• Gold Member
    modify
    Could it be twins?
    « Reply #3 on: 30/10/15, 00:07 »
    I had 2-3 weeks on OTD too and it was identicals, I also have a strong family history, my sister has ID girls and my paternal g'father is an ID twin too plus I was 40 so it's not impossible! I had a blood test 4 days after OTD and it was 3'800+ hth x

Offline Dory10

• Volunteer
    • Smallest things take up most room in your heart x
    modify
    Could it be twins?
    « Reply #4 on: 30/10/15, 11:49 »
    I've had 2-3 weeks on OTD in all 3 pregnancies and all have been singletons - never had HCG bloods so can't help with that xxx

Offline Greyhoundgal

• Volunteer
    modify
    Could it be twins?
    « Reply #5 on: 31/10/15, 23:35 »
    Just to say, despite what people think, identical twins are not genetic so you have no more chance than anyone else of your embryo dividing even though there are twins in your family.....it's non identicals which are genetic (except if IVF, obviously  ;) ). You could be having them but lots of ladies get high readings and even high hcg results and go on to have singletons....don't panic  ;)

Grey xx

Offline Blondie71

• Gold Member
    modify
    Could it be twins?
    « Reply #6 on: 1/11/15, 00:13 »
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-genes-influence-whethe/

This article explains things fairly well, on the identical subject the jury is still out on it as science can't seem to pinpoint exactly why it occurs, alot of theories but nothing concrete, I still think it's wierd we have 3 sets (only mine are IVF) but maybe just a bizarre happy coincidence  :)

/links

Offline FlyingCat

• Gold Member
    modify
    Could it be twins?
    « Reply #7 on: 1/11/15, 07:29 »
    Wow, fascinating!

I did not know identicals might not be genetic, in that case my family has been very lucky/ unlucky to see a cluster of identicals, among my parents siblings and my cousins we have 4 sets...

Tbh whil ethereal results have been strong it's more how my body is responding (very strongly) that's making me wonder - I 'just have a feeling' I think. Though I think I'm probably just over worrying due to how smoothly everything is going so far. I know every pregnancy is different and maybe this one is just going to have stronger symptoms.

Ho hum, a week and a half until it's definitive!

Offline FlyingCat

• Gold Member
    modify
    Could it be twins?
    « Reply #8 on: 16/11/15, 10:12 »
    Well, just remembered this thread and thought I'd close the loop.

Turns out my symptoms and my "feeling" that it might be twins were a complete red herring. One healthy little fetus developing away nicely at my scan...

Still feel way more rubbish that first time round but then, every pregnancy is supposed to be different I guess!

Offline goldbunny

• Gold Member
    • Spot arrived safely!
    modify
    Could it be twins?
    « Reply #9 on: 16/11/15, 10:21 »
    congrats flyingcat!

maybe you are getting the other flavour this time? good luck.